Toyota guys: sepentine belt question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock Auto lists two serpentine belts for '03 Corolla. One for hydraulic tensioner another for spring tensioner. How do I tell which one I have? Just bought this '03 Corolla. Prior posts, bitogers helped me decide whether to buy it. Posted under General automotive. The car belonged to older woman in assisted living. Didn't run it for two years. Mice got into it. Looked it over-no harness damage. Price right, so I bought it. Hope you can help me find the right belt. No response on toyota nation site posting. thx Joe

I would imagine its a spring tensioner. Look on the belt routing diagram find the tensioner and look at it. If its a round pully with a bolt head In the center out a ratchet or wrench on it it should turn and loosen the belt. If its hydraulic I have no clue I've never heard of one. This is a general statement I've never worked on a 03 corolla I'm just using general car knowledge. Hope I helped some.

If it's the 1ZZFE engine type (1.8L 4, chain), it's hydraulic tensioner and requires a 19mm wrench to retract the tensioner while replacing serpentine belt. Q.

That's weird; the 2 different belts should be either one with A/C or one without. It doesn't have anything to do with what kind of tensioner it has. I'd personally buy one at a local store and match it with the one on the car to make sure it's the same length. However, inspect the belt on the car - if it's sufficiently tensioned and not crack at all, it's still OK to use.

Hi Quest: I mis-stated my original post. I want to replace the 9yr old serp belt. Rock Auto gives choices of belts for spring tensioners or hydraulic tensioners. Never really planned to change the actual tensioner. My bad for mis-communicating my question. thx for the reply tho Joe

Hi Drew: This car sat so long un-used that I'm replacing fluids, belts and maybe hoses. Belt doesn't look too bad. Usual small random cracks on ribbed side. Just changing it for peace of mind for long trips. Cheap insurance. I'm OCD about breaking down on the road! thx for reply Joe

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
That's weird; the 2 different belts should be either one with A/C or one without. It doesn't have anything to do with what kind of tensioner it has. I'd personally buy one at a local store and match it with the one on the car to make sure it's the same length. However, inspect the belt on the car - if it's sufficiently tensioned and not crack at all, it's still OK to use.
My nearest parts store is an Autozone. I've had defective/incorrect parts issues from them one too many times. Also they always try to push their "white box" parts. I ask for Gates or Dayco and they hand me one with no name, just a belt in a white sleeve. If you ask them who makes it they always say it's "made" by Dayco or Gates, just not printed on their sleeve. I've bought rotors from them that were unbalanced, brake pads that when I opened the box, the friction material was already de-laminating from the backing plate. Actually took the pads back for exchange and the lady at the counter gave me a replacement set and put the defective pads back on the shelf for the next customer! My nearest NAPA store-prices are significantly higher than Rock Auto. Also seem more interested in selling to professionals than to DIY'ers. So I gravitated to Rock Auto and sometimes get good deals and free shipping at Amazon.

The belt length is the same, regardless of the tensioner. Just an FYI, the hydraulic tentioner is hard to move. You will have to move it slowly, otherwise it feels like it's solid. Lean in on it and hold a steady pressure on it. You will not be able to just yank on it like a spring tentioner.

I have only seen hyd tentioners on those cars, it looks like a little shock on the tentioner arm. Follow the above warning on moving it slow as it is a heavy damper and moves slow and sfiff. We use Goodyear belt at work, we just like them better for belt life and noise than gates or dayco.

IMHO dayco/gates/goodyear, doesn't really matter in this case, for they are prtty much standard across the board (difference is in the brand/material/construction). Typically, I see these belts lasts around 6~8yrs of daily usage before they becomes worn/slipping and makes rubbing sound to the point in need of replacement. I'm a big fan of Gates microV for it feels similar to those Continental serpentine belts I used to service Golfs, Jettas, etc. and material quality seems excellent (fairly quiet too). Dayco seems to have raised their quality these days so I wouldn't discount the possibility of using them at all. Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
IMHO dayco/gates/goodyear, doesn't really matter in this case, for they are prtty much standard across the board (difference is in the brand/material/construction). Typically, I see these belts lasts around 6~8yrs of daily usage before they becomes worn/slipping and makes rubbing sound to the point in need of replacement. I'm a big fan of Gates microV for it feels similar to those Continental serpentine belts I used to service Golfs, Jettas, etc. and material quality seems excellent (fairly quiet too). Dayco seems to have raised their quality these days so I wouldn't discount the possibility of using them at all. Q.
Q: Thanks for the feedback. I've used Goodyear Gatorbacks for friend/family. No problems. Leaning toward this on my Corolla. Only changing because it has original 9 yr old belt. Still looks functional but the age has me concerned. $22 on Amazon with free shipping (also will order PCV valve) is worth some peace of mind. Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.