Toyota Going 5W20 across the Board, or just 06+ Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this TSB
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/1143619200000_1144652400000_EG018-06/81.html

It is kind of self conflicting.

Page 1 says 06+ vehicles only.

Page 2 Box 1 for 5W20 lists a bunch of engine series w/ no year; only Box 2 for 0W20 say for 2AZ-FE, 06+

I have an 02 2AZ-FE. So obviously I can't use 0W20 per this TSB, but what about 5W20?

Let's not turn this into a debate of why would you do 5W20...
tongue.gif

Why would you use 5w20
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I'm still debating on this one.
I'm sure they made some changes to the '06 engine, so I'm not going to argue with Toyota/SCION on this one.

Scott

IF you read the whole paper from Toyota as it is posted on this site it clearly states not to use 20W oil in pre-2006 models. It clearlys tates that the 20W oil will not properly lubricate these engines. The 2AZ-FE prior to 2006 model year is not designed to use 5W20 or 0W20 oil.You are not going to gain much with a 0W20 or 5W20 that a synthetic 0W30 or 5W30 will not do.

quote:

I'm sure they made some changes to the '06 engine, so I'm not going to argue with Toyota/SCION on this one.

I'm not quite convinced that Toyota made any changes in the 2AZ-FE engine ... at least not from 05 to 06. IMHO Toyota is more worried about liability issues and thus isn't going to recommend 20w in earlier engines.

The first page says that this TSB applies only to '06-'07 models, so if you have an older model you are not expected to read further. I think that's why the table on the second page doesn't list model year info for the 5W-20.

What I think is interesting is that Toyota seems to think that there is a big difference between 0W-20 and 5W-20 such that they only recommend the 0W in a couple of cases. I wouldn't think it would make much difference.

The new lead matrix that Honda developed is what allowed them to use 5W20 with next to no issues. It is many times tougher then previous lead bearing matix could have hoped to have been. The beaings for the mains and rods are more then likely the main changes made in 06-07 models. It is not an issue of clearance so much as materials. If anything only very slight clearance changes to a modern oil pump would need to be made.

We have seen cases were older Toyota engines have done just fine on premium 20 weight oil like Fuchs Titan and Redline but I am sure that these same engines would not have faired well on Coastal 5W20 or Valvoline 5W20 etc....... We have also seen were some of Toyota's older engines did very badly on 20 weight oil.

Toyota would not draw a line in the sand on what years a thinner oil could be used unless they though their durability reputation might be on the line!

quote:

Originally posted by Jonny Z:
Check out this TSB
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/1143619200000_1144652400000_EG018-06/81.html

It is kind of self conflicting.

Page 1 says 06+ vehicles only.

Page 2 Box 1 for 5W20 lists a bunch of engine series w/ no year; only Box 2 for 0W20 say for 2AZ-FE, 06+

I have an 02 2AZ-FE. So obviously I can't use 0W20 per this TSB, but what about 5W20?

Let's not turn this into a debate of why would you do 5W20...
tongue.gif

Page 2 states that its use is ok in all AZ series engines.
But the odd thing is page 1 says not to use it in older engines, however page 2 says it is ok to use in vz engines. Like the 5VZ-FE (hasn't been produced since '04).

My 2005 says and runs fine with 5w-30.

The cap says 5w-30.

I'll run 5w-30 and get on with life...
grin.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Read the title and read the model year effected just below the title of the TSB on the 1st page. The TSB pertains only to 06 - 07 models as stated. If Toyota ok 5w 20 for your motor it would say 02 - 07 just below the title in the models effected.

Walked into a couple Toyota dealerships in my area, and found a chart that tells you which models and years can take which viscosity of oil. The 5W20 can be used in most vehicles dating back several years. I can't remember which, but I know that my 05 Corolla is allowed to use 5W20. That goes against what the TSB states, but hey...the dealership may have newer info, and the charts came from Toyota.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
IF you read the whole paper from Toyota as it is posted on this site it clearly states not to use 20W oil in pre-2006 models. It clearlys tates that the 20W oil will not properly lubricate these engines. ...

Well, you might be right about what it means, but I would argue that it doesn't "clearly state" anything!
lol.gif

Take it for what it says. For now don't use it. Now it may be that, like ford, at a later point in time they may reccomend backwards migration to the 20 weights. but for now, it would be wise to stick to their reccomendations.

Wall chart in the service department or official TSB? We can each make our own choices, but I'm staying with the TSB. Now, it is awfully written, and definitely ambiguous, but I agree with those who think that the better reading is to heed the limitation which appears in both the title heading, and prominently in the middle of the first page. It says clearly that the TSB applies only to 06 and 07 models. If you accept that they meant this, then you can dismiss the inclusion of the two older engines in the list on the second page as a trivial error. Their inclusion is meaningless, because if you own, for example an '01 4Runner with the VZ, you should already have stopped reading. If I owned one of those older engines, I'd just keep on feeding it the 5w-30 it had known and loved for all of its life so far.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Wall chart in the service department or official TSB? We can each make our own choices, but I'm staying with the TSB.because if you own, for example an '01 4Runner with the VZ,

You're correct. You can make your own choice.

Tho You're grossly incorrect i that the entire VZ engine block family has been cleared for 5w-20, and if you wakl into a Toyota dealer, don't say anything & let them change it as soon as they've been equipped with the new Toyota brand iol.

They will put 5w-20 in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back