Toyota Genuine Motor Oil - old -vs new (latest)

I had to take my 2019 Tacoma to the Dealer for it's warranty stuff, and while I was there I took a couple of photos of the "new" (or at least, latest) TGMO that one of my local Dealer has on hand. I've uploaded photos I have of the old, SN stuff as well as the new SN-Plus.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Besides the SN-Plus rating, I'm not sure if anything else has changed?

Ed

I can tell by looking at the bottles that the one on the right has much less moly than the old formulation! or maybe Gokhan said that. lol
That's not good idea
grin2.gif

Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage 0w20. :)

edit: sorry wrong thread, thought I was posting in the latest oil purchase thread.

Last edited:
Is the "new" TGMO formulation still as respected as the "old" TGMO formulation is on BITOG as far as VOA/add pack analysis. I've searched and can't find anything.

I had to take my 2019 Tacoma to the Dealer for it's warranty stuff, and while I was there I took a couple of photos of the "new" (or at least, latest) TGMO that one of my local Dealer has on hand. I've uploaded photos I have of the old, SN stuff as well as the new SN-Plus.

Ed

In my mind the only nagging question is how proud of that oil were they? Oh do they offer rebates?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ed
Thanks for posting this. Yes, the bottle tells (almost) everything.

There is a four-digit formulation number (revision number) on the back label of all ExxonMobil oils. By looking at this number, you can tell what the formulation is.

The original TGMO 0W-20 SN had RN5953. It was Group-III-based and looked liked it had a lot of polyol ester (POE) if my FTIR oxidation number was correct. It also used trinuclear moly.

Years later PQIA tested a TGMO 0W-20 SN that had RN6378. It was GTL-based with a very high amount of 787 ppm sulfurless Molyvan 855 moly. It also likely had some POE according to Russian FTIR data, but it was only a few percent if at all. TGMO seems to like to have ester.

The SN PLUS version you posted also has RN6378; therefore, the formulation hasn't changed for the last two years or so. You can see the PQIA VOA of this formulation here. Note that the PQIA version is labeled SN but it is the same RN6378 formulation.

Now, someone needs to find the SP bottle so that we can see if the SP formulation is different.

Moreover, if you could also post the four-digit RN numbers for TGMO 0W-16, it would be appreciated. In a few years most newer Toyota engines will use 0W-16. Already almost half of them use it.

There is a four-digit formulation number (revision number) on the back label of all ExxonMobil oils. By looking at this number, you can tell what the formulation is.

The original TGMO 0W-20 SN had RN5953. It was Group-III-based and looked liked it had a lot of polyol ester (POE) if my FTIR oxidation number was correct. It also used trinuclear moly.

Years later PQIA tested a TGMO 0W-20 SN that had RN6378. It was GTL-based with a very high amount of 787 ppm sulfurless Molyvan 855 moly. It also likely had some POE according to Russian FTIR data, but it was only a few percent if at all. TGMO seems to like to have ester.

The SN PLUS version you posted also has RN6378; therefore, the formulation hasn't changed for the last two years or so. You can see the PQIA VOA of this formulation here. Note that the PQIA version is labeled SN but it is the same RN6378 formulation.

Now, someone needs to find the SP bottle so that we can see if the SP formulation is different.

Moreover, if you could also post the four-digit RN numbers for TGMO 0W-16, it would be appreciated. In a few years most newer Toyota engines will use 0W-16. Already almost half of them use it.

TGMO 0W16 RN6378.

I don't know but this has RN6378 printed on it too.
View attachment 28260
Thanks. Interesting. Perhaps they share the four-digit revision number across the viscosity grades within the same brand.

This could be checked by comparing the RN's for M1 5W-20 vs. M1 5W-30 or M1 EP 5W-20 vs. M1 EP 5W-30 etc.

The date code 10219K24A means Plant 102, 2019 November (K = 11th letter) 24.

The QR codes merely identify the print versions for the front and back labels, not the formulation. Labels may change while the formulation remains the same, or the formulation may change while the labels remain the same.

It wouldn't surprise me if TGMO had POE. An XOM salesman that was once on this board had mentioned Toyota requested high end ingredients for this oil.

Back