Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20 has new bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking hard about sending a sample of this off to BlackStone Labs, but for now, I thought you might like to see the new bottle and label? At least I think it's new, isn't it? Wasn't the old bottle red? I picked up this bottle this morning from my local Toyota Dealer parts department.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't understand some of the cryptic numeric codes, etc., but maybe some of you do?

Ed

I was wondering how to decipher the manufacturing date? Maybe the first sequence of numbers (to the right of the barcode) indicates Jan. 02, 2019?

Ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
The question is: What are Toyota warranty requirements?

I just bought a 2019 Tacoma with the 3.5L V6 motor.

My manual says, "Engine oil selection "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity. Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20 SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change."

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I was wondering how to decipher the manufacturing date? Maybe the first sequence of numbers (to the right of the barcode) indicates Jan. 02, 2019?

Ed

Above my pay grade Sir...

Originally Posted by edyvw
The question is: What are Toyota warranty requirements?

I just bought a 2019 Tacoma with the 3.5L V6 motor.

My manual says, "Engine oil selection "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity. Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20 SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change."

Ed

LOL, so basically there is no requirement. What is equivalent to TGMO except 0W20?
I bet there is somewhere there like in my manual that says: for heavy duty application, use heavier grade.

Made by Mobil in the US not Mexico. A new bottle doesn't mean anything has changed.

Use it with no worries.

I'm thinking hard about sending a sample of this off to BlackStone Labs, but for now, I thought you might like to see the new bottle and label? At least I think it's new, isn't it? Wasn't the old bottle red? I picked up this bottle this morning from my local Toyota Dealer parts department.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't understand some of the cryptic numeric codes, etc., but maybe some of you do?

Ed

Do us a favor and send it to WearCheck USA instead. All you need to do is to call them and set up an account. They measure both KV40 and KV100 (hence the viscosity index) as well as the oxidation (hence the ester content). The previous TGMO was loaded in ester, twice as much as in Mobil 1 Euro oils, like the Genuine Nissan Motor Oil. Blackstone VOAs are nearly useless.

my 2011 4.0 frontier notes in the owners manual using a viscosity suitable for the temperature you drive in, to me thats 5-30 or 10-30 in hotter climates for less wear + longer lasting engine!!

Interesting, nowhere on the bottle is says that it meets ILSAC GF-5 and further in spanish ONLY it says not to use beyond 5 yrs from bottling. Now where does it say in any language the bottling date?! Watson the game's afoot!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by Pelican
Interesting, nowhere on the bottle is says that it meets ILSAC GF-5 and further in spanish ONLY it says not to use beyond 5 yrs from bottling. Now where does it say in any language the bottling date?! Watson the game's afoot!
shocked2.gif

Never understood how oil can expire...i mean seriously, it was in the ground for like millions of year's and it's just now gonna go bad in the next 5 - wde'f?...‚ If I store my unopened bottles in the ground, can I extend it's shelf life??...‚

(i guess it's a refined thing)

Last edited:
New bottle states that it's SN Plus. Previous bottle was SN only. Does that mean that at least the calcium/magnesium ratio has changed?

Originally Posted by Gokhan

Do us a favor and send it to WearCheck USA instead. All you need to do is to call them and set up an account. They measure both KV40 and KV100 (hence the viscosity index) as well as the oxidation (hence the ester content). The previous TGMO was loaded in ester, twice as much as in Mobil 1 Euro oils, like the Genuine Nissan Motor Oil. Blackstone VOAs are nearly useless.

I am a complete beginner at where to send oil for a VOA. If you all think that WearCheck is the best to provide us with the answers that we all like to see, I'll look into it.

Is this where you all think I should send a sample?

smile.gif

Ed

I am a complete beginner at where to send oil for a VOA. If you all think that WearCheck is the best to provide us with the answers that we all like to see, I'll look into it.

smile.gif

Ed

Most people here send to Blackstone, as they do UOA/VOA for general public, which is fine. WearCheck is the professional version of Blackstone, serving various industries, where they do more tests and likely with better equipment. However, they will probably agree to add you as a customer if you give them a call.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Mobil Super Synthetic

No, the formulation of the TGMO has always been different than that of the Mobil Super Synthetic.

smile.gif

Ed

Most people here send to Blackstone, as they do UOA/VOA for general public, which is fine. WearCheck is the professional version of Blackstone, serving various industries, where they do more tests and likely with better equipment. However, they will probably agree to add you as a customer if you give them a call.

That sounds interesting but what do they charge?

Originally Posted by Pelican
Interesting, nowhere on the bottle is says that it meets ILSAC GF-5

ILSAC GF-5 = SN + Resource Conserving
SN + Resource Conserving = ILSAC GF-5

Originally Posted by dippschtick
New bottle states that it's SN Plus. Previous bottle was SN only. Does that mean that at least the calcium/magnesium ratio has changed?

Yes. It also appears to be GTL-based according to the CCS and Noack numbers.

http://pqiadata.org/Toyota_0W20.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back