Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20 has new bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Referring to the curiously absent ILSAC approval on the new TGMO bottle:

Maybe there is no ILSAC approval notated due to a TEOST 33C sequence fail? I know this particular bench test is in question, but it was in force to get a ILSAC Approval when GF-5 was instituted. INteresting to note that GF-5 is almost a decade old this coming Fall.

All said, the ILSAC approval appearance in the donut likely doesnt matter here.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Interesting, nowhere on the bottle is says that it meets ILSAC GF-5 and further in spanish ONLY it says not to use beyond 5 yrs from bottling. Now where does it say in any language the bottling date?! Watson the game's afoot!
shocked2.gif

The number on the back label appears to be a typical mobil bottle code which can be decoded. It contains the date.

102 is the plant code.
19D12 is the date (2019, April 12)

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
All said, the ILSAC approval appearance in the donut likely doesnt matter here.

SN with Resource Conserving = ILSAC GF-5 and vice versa.

0W-16 oils are currently excluded from ILSAC.

TGMO approvals

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
. . . The number on the back label appears to be a typical mobil bottle code which can be decoded. It contains the date.
102 is the plant code.

Very useful information. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Hounds

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
. . . The number on the back label appears to be a typical mobil bottle code which can be decoded. It contains the date.
102 is the plant code.

Very useful information. Thanks.

In addition RN6378 seems to be the revision number -- you can tell from that if the formulation has changed or not.

The QR codes represent the back and front labels only -- they don't reflect actual formulation changes. They may change or not with or without formulation changes.

Interestingly the plant code on the Mobil 1 and Mobil Super bottles seem to be 110 while on the TGMO and Mobil Delvac bottles, it seems to be 102. I remember the TGMO being made by the industrial division of Exxon Mobil when I gave them a call. Perhaps Mobil Delvac is also made by the same division. In any case the TGMO has always been a different beast than both the Mobil 1 and Mobil Super.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
In addition RN6378 seems to be the revision number -- you can tell from that if the formulation has changed or not.

The QR codes represent the back and front labels only -- they don't reflect actual formulation changes. They may change or not with or without formulation changes.

Interestingly the plant code on the Mobil 1 and Mobil Super bottles seem to be 110 while on the TGMO and Mobil Delvac bottles, it seems to be 102. I remember the TGMO being made by the industrial division of Exxon Mobil when I gave them a call. Perhaps Mobil Delvac is also made by the same division. In any case the TGMO has always been a different beast than both the Mobil 1 and Mobil Super.

Ah, from the revision number, we know that this is the same formulation for which PQIA has a VOA on it! So, OP, perhaps don't waste your money on a VOA -- there is already a good one. Nevertheless, if you could send it to Wear Check USA, we could know the oxidation number and if there is still ester in it, as the old formulation had a lot of ester.

It's a high-moly (not the Infineum trinuclear moly but the sulfur-free Vanderbilt moly) GTL-based formulation -- explored in glory detail in the following thread. It's good to know that this is the current formulation. Interestingly I had a batch with exactly the same label as on the PQIA site except for the revision number -- mine had RN5953. When I had a UOA, mine turned out to be the old low-moly Group III formulation with the Infineum trinuclear moly.

Is TGMO 0W-20 SN made in Heaven? Part II: high-moly GTL

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Never understood how oil can expire...i mean seriously, it was in the ground for like millions of year's and it's just now gonna go bad in the next 5 - wde'f?...‚ If I store my unopened bottles in the ground, can I extend it's shelf life??

Engine oil is not crude oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back