Toyota found to keep tight lid on safety issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's interesting.

Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety problems
A Times investigation shows the world's largest automaker has delayed recalls and attempted to blame human error in cases where owners claimed vehicle defects.

December 23, 2009|By Ken Bensinger and Ralph Vartabedian

During a routine test on its Sienna minivan in April 2003, Toyota Motor Corp. engineers discovered that a plastic panel could come loose and cause the gas pedal to stick, potentially making the vehicle accelerate out of control.

The automaker redesigned the part and by that June every 2004 model year Sienna off the assembly line came with the new panel. Toyota did not notify tens of thousands of people who had already bought vans with the old panel, however.

It wasn't until U.S. safety officials opened an investigation last year that Toyota acknowledged in a letter to regulators that the part could come loose and "lead to unwanted or sudden acceleration."

In January, nearly six years after discovering the potential hazard, the automaker recalled 26,501 vans made with the old panel.

In a statement to The Times, Toyota said that there was no defect in the Sienna and that "a safety recall was not deemed necessary" when it discovered the problem in 2003. The company called the replacement part "an additional safety measure."

A peerless reputation for quality and safety has helped Toyota become the world's largest automaker. But even as its sales have soared, the company has delayed recalls, kept a tight lid on disclosure of potential problems and attempted to blame human error in cases where owners claimed vehicle defects.

The automaker's handling of safety issues has come under scrutiny in recent months because of incidents of sudden acceleration in Toyota and Lexus vehicles, which The Times has reported were involved in accidents causing 19 fatalities since 2001, more deaths from that problem than all other automakers combined.

After Toyota this fall announced its biggest recall to address the sudden-acceleration problem, it insisted publicly that no defect existed. That drew a rare public rebuke from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which chastised the automaker for making "inaccurate and misleading statements."

In the wake of Toyota's announcement of the massive recall, The Times examined some of the ways the automaker has dealt with safety problems in recent years and found that:

* The automaker knew of a dangerous steering defect in vehicles including the 4Runner sport utility vehicle for years before issuing a recall in Japan in 2004. But it told regulators no recall was necessary in the U.S., despite having received dozens of complaints from drivers. Toyota said a subsequent investigation led it to order a U.S. recall in 2005.

The rest can be found here: http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/23/business/la-fi-toyota-secrecy23-2009dec23

I was reading your signature, did you swap a cobra or mach engine into your GT or just the heads?

Toyota deserves this public humiliation. This event will hopefully be a lesson to all automakers about how to handle recalls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Shark
I was reading your signature, did you swap a cobra or mach engine into your GT or just the heads?

A '04 Mach/'01 Cobra/'05 Aviator mutt.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Shark

A '04 Mach/'01 Cobra/'05 Aviator mutt.

Nice, I had a 99 Cobra for a few years. I love the N/A DOHC 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back