Toyota Engine Operating Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Toyota RAV-4 with the 3500 V6 engine. I recently installed a scanguage and it reports the coolant temperature as 184 degrees F when running at highway speeds. I would have guessed the temperature to be at least 195 degrees F. Any idea if the 184 degrees F is OK?

Sounds like a perfectly normal temperature. That's what I see in my Subaru's. What temp is your thermostat? Hotter might give a little more fuel economy. Also that's what the ECU is reading from the engine coolant temp sensor, and the sensor probably has an accuracy of +/- a couple degrees?

I think that is normal my Moms Tundra does not get hot either. You can drive 40 miles at 80MPH and the ATF,engine oil are cold to the touch. I think it is just the nature of any of the Truck and SUV's that Toyota builds. They normaly give them way too much cooling capacity and just about ever fluid under the hood comes with a cooler. No my Camry with it's little I4 is just the oposite primarily I think because nothing under the hood has an oil cooler and the radiators is not a heavy duty extra capacity unit like the trucks and SUV's!

As an examble the powersteering pump on here Tundra and the one on my Camry look like the castings are identacical and so does the resovoir. Here Tundra has a powesteering fluid oil cooler and here fluid wich is 1-2 year older then mine looks like new. My Camry does not have a powersteering fluid oil cooler and I change the fluid 1-2 times a year and it always looks black!! My Camry is 1-2 years newer then here Tundra. THe difference is the cooler. I have even tried Lube Control and SX-UP and neither can stop the heat based oxidation of my little car on it's power steering fluid! My Mom's Tundra has to drive about 12-20 miles to get any heat. My 2003 Camry and here 2007 Camry both I4's have heat within an 1/8 of a mile of driveing!

The thermostat setting for Toyota GR series engines is set at 176-184f. The coooling passages betweeen each cylinder in the blocks is one of multiple engineering controls that allow these engines to run at higher compressions with lower octane safely. And TOyota trucks and SUV's are notorious for having over engineered cooling systems. Which is good.

If the thermostat is a 176-184F type, then you have your answer.
I was thinking that the location of the sensor for the gauge was cooler than the thermostat, hence the low reading.
Most cars now have around 195F thermostats, and some a lot higher, for increased thermal efficiency and lower emissions.

Noticed our new '04 Tacoma is the same; actually cabin heats up real quick, but truck does have a rather large radiator. Fine by me - in fact, hope it cools MUCH better then the 22RE did; that truck was notorious for overheating.

I use a scan gauge on my '07 Taco; I get the same reading too, even after hard driving. I wonder if the scan gauge is stuck at 184-185 deg on toyotas...

Very neat tool. Lots of function. You can even see your ignition timing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back