Toyota dominates study of longest lasting vehicles including full size pickups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an interesting study of 16 million used car transactions.
Data was gathered on which car models are kept by owners for more than 200,000 miles.

Not only did Toyota dominate the list of car segments, they also took the slot for full sized pickup trucks.

TorqueNews wrote the article but the study was completed by iseecars.com and the article can be found here.

[Linked Image]

Hopefully, one of these years, Toyota will figure out that they can't sell the 2014/2007 Tundra forever...

Oh great, another bashing thread. Anyone wanna make predictions about how this one will go?

For the last 35 years 100% of my Fords have over 200K with my 91 Ranger at 354K. These charts mean nothing to me. Fake News. My grandsons 2002 Toyota was a piece of junk. He now owns a 2012 Ford Fusion with 140K and loves it. That's our experience.

Last edited:
I don't know that I give much credence to this.

How do we know the #2-n spots for each category, and how many fewer there might be?

There are vehicles that folks love to hate upon (Honda odyssey comes to mind - horrible AT issues for a long time). The civic and accord outperformed the Camry and Corolla? Yet the Avalon is on there? Maybe it's just binning and numbers games. I don't know.

The land cruiser doesn't surprise me. They're Uber-$$$ and not many around. People hold onto them. The 4Runner? Not a very popular vehicle. And the Tacoma was edged out by the Ridgeline (?!?), yet the 4Runner is there in its segment? Was it the only one in its segment?

I'm frankly quite surprised about the tundra and it doubly makes me wonder about the math behind this. I'd suspect domestics as a whole outsell the tundra 10:1 or more. So they all never make 200k? Or perhaps more accurately, they don't end up on a used car lot with 200k. Or, because it started from a much smaller sample size it's easier to get binned.

Hard to put credence in this without understanding the rest of the field's performance and why.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Hopefully, one of these years, Toyota will figure out that they can't sell the 2014/2007 Tundra forever...

2004 Silverado - on its 3rd Jasper engine in less than one year.

That's nice. I see you are on engine #4. My gen 1 Tundra TRD is on its first engine, uses no oil, and has had no engine part changes at all except for belts and filters.

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by mrsilv04

2004 Silverado - on its 3rd Jasper engine in less than one year.

That's nice. I see you are on engine #4. My gen 1 Tunrda TRD is on its first engine, uses no oil, and has had no engine part changes at all except for belts and filters.

To be fair, it's the Jasper remans that are a problem. ANY maker can have a hiccup, which would explain the first engine. Jasper ought to be on the hook for the bad remans, not GM--too many high mile LS motors out there for me to believe GM can't make a good V8 (piston slap issues aside, along with cylinder deactivation). If anything, if I were to replace my truck I'd probably go with an older GM. Everything gets old eventually, and GM is going to be much cheaper to repair than a Toyota.

Tundra's have a slew of their own problems.

The fact he needs one, two, three or ten replacements engines is hilarious.

What model has the highest percentage of cars with over 200,000 miles on them? Gee is that really a tough question to understand? Hint: neither the question nor the answer has anything to do with sales figures.

The data showing that very few vehicles make it past 200,000 miles agrees with other stuff we have seen but to fine tune it to 1 to 4% accuracy is a bit of a joke because the data simply is not that accurate. OK, it was used car transactions. I guess it's better than nothing. There is no clearing house where mileage is reported yearly. You might try tap into the computers of every service shop in America but that is useless for anyone who doesn't take their vehicle in that year. Mileage is not reported in the car registration (at least in my area.) A data base from On-star would report mileage on GM's but only if it had On-Star in the first place. However, thanks for the posting. Directionally it says Toyota's are very reliable, something I tend to agree with.
smile.gif

Disclosure: My Burb has over 200,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
Here's an interesting study of 16 million used car transactions.
Data was gathered on which car models are kept by owners for more than 200,000 miles.

Not only did Toyota dominate the list of car segments, they also took the slot for full sized pickup trucks.

TorqueNews wrote the article but the study was completed by iseecars.com and the article can be found here.

[Linked Image]

WHAT!? The Audi TT beat out the 5.0/4.6L Mustang and LT1/LS1 F-bodies? The Preludes and Integras? The Supras?

I am legit astounded.

All of the other categories make sense, but the "Sports Car" one is a total baffler to me.

I often see (and use) Toyota LC's overseas … but they are not common here.
From what area does this data come from ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
I often see (and use) Toyota LC's overseas … but they are not common here.
From what area does this data come from ?

Every LC you see here has 2-400K on it it seems if it's over a few years old, though. I see plenty. Also, Autotrader shows plenty.

Originally Posted by tig1
For the last 35 years 100% of my Fords have over 200K with my 91 Ranger at 354K. These charts mean nothing to me. Fake News. My grandsons 2002 Toyota was a piece of junk. He now owns a 2012 Ford Fusion with 140K and loves it. That's our experience.

Mechanically I'll agree that Fords are good, but here in NY they won't make 150K or even 100K in many cases. The trucks, especially, just rust out completely before they hit 10 years. And now that Ford is completely fully boxed frame, even the SuperDuty trucks with the aluminum bodies will be in the junkyard by 100K miles.

I really want a new Ranger. But I also know that if I buy one, in 6 years it'll have rot holes in the frame and gaping holes in the body.

My guess is that these are actual statistics from real data. Nothing fake about the numbers.

However, how they are presented and what they mean are subject to interpretation.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
My guess is that these are actual statistics from real data. Nothing fake about the numbers.

However, how they are presented and what they mean are subject to interpretation.

I no longer have the article but the percentage of cars that end life totaled by collision is amazingly high.

Further a nearly identical chart could be made for cars most and least often totaled by collision,
oddly more sub 3 year old cars get totaled than older models and there is a dramatic difference in the percentage of one model totaled out vrs another.

Stereotypes sometimes are based on reality

Also anyone can keep any car on the road 200k it just might not be economical .
Further when it says some thing like "Prius" the question becomes which Prius?
For example The 2010-2015 tend to blow the motor before 200,000 miles. Doesn't mean much without context.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back