Toyota Dealer Recommends Oil Flush???

This morning our 2010 Prius [not in signature because I don't service it] had its 190K service. When complete the dealer made several written recommendations for the 200K service, including a tune up, engine coolant flush, inverter coolant flush, and a motor oil flush. When asked about the latter, they said they would change the oil, run a motor flush, then change the oil again. Is this a normal service for a Toyota at 200K, or is someone trying to pull a fast one?

All recommendations are solid,except for the motor flush. The motor flush probably isn't really needed. But wouldn't put it in the category of they are "trying to rip you off". The flush isn't really any different from the "BITOG money flush" that takes place on this forum. Cautious but not needed.

Considering how much oil these engines typically burn, an oil flush isn't a completely unreasonable service. Any effort to clean the rings is not a complete money waste, however, the cost of their "oil flush" is probably ridiculous.

With that said, the best thing to do with a 10-15 Prius with that many miles is to get rid of it before you have to invest in a head gasket job or hybrid battery.

This morning our 2010 Prius [not in signature because I don't service it] had its 190K service. When complete the dealer made several written recommendations for the 200K service, including a tune up, engine coolant flush, inverter coolant flush, and a motor oil flush. When asked about the latter, they said they would change the oil, run a motor flush, then change the oil again. Is this a normal service for a Toyota at 200K, or is someone trying to pull a fast one?
Does the toyota dealership push BG products?

Did the Toyota dealership do any diagnosis that would recommend an engine flush additive? Or did they just speculate based on the mileage?

Sounds like the latter.

It maybe beneficial given your specific car and ifs maintenance history, or could be a rip off. I dont know if we can tell

If you've done regular low mileage oil and filter changes, there is no need for an, "engine flush".
I should have mentioned that the car has seen mostly 10K OCIs after the initial 30K. More recently it's been an annual thing because the car doesn't see 10K per year. It doesn't consume oil and what I see on the dipstick looks surprisingly clean at the end of the OCI.

Aside from that, I haven't used an engine flush since the mid eighties days of Castrol GTX.

Last edited:
every dealer is there to rip you off. I find other wise....
That is your experience, and you have every right to say your peace. Thousands of others, and former car salesmen, have had difference experiences dealing with stealerships. Just because it has never been on your radar, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's called Object Permanence.

That is your experience, and you have every right to say your peace. Thousands of others, and former car salesmen, have had difference experiences dealing with stealerships. Just because it has never been on your radar, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's called Object Permanence.

It's called "drinking the Kool-Aid". There is a thread on here about somebody who actually worked at a Dealership. He said the errors ran 1% in real world numbers. He also stated that claims they actually had to pay (just verses just "making it right") were less than 1/2%. So yea....He also stated that 1% is inline with what other service providers (carpet washers, dry cleaners, plumbers etc.) error rate is.

Last edited:
Back