Toyota Dealer Put Bulk Valvoline 5W30 in 07 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I really could care less but I thought that it was funny. The owners manual and the oil cap both recomend 0W20 or 5W20 as the prefered oil. They charged the previous company $20 for the oil change.

My Mother and Father just purchased a program car with 4000 miles on it. It is an 07 Camry with the 2AZFE engine and automatic transmission. I think that this was the first oil change and that it was done at 3000 miles.

You would think that the dealership would at least use the oil recomended by the manufature? I thought it was ironic.

Stealerships are far more independent of the car manufacturers than most people realize.

Many stealerships simply buy the cheapest bulk oil they can obtain and get away with using. And people still wonder why Honda wants you not to dump the factory fill too soon.

I used to have a Mazda3 and it was spec'd for 5w20 but the Mazda dealership always put in 5w30 and when i asked the dealership as to why they dont use 5w20, he said that it was RECOMMENDED and not required so 5w30 was fine. go figure.

We used to put this stuff labeled "OIL" that came out of a tank that came from a truck that said on it "OIL" that we suspected was 10W-30 in everything. It didnt matter if it said it needed a 5-20, 10-40, or what, it got OIL.

However, the corvettes got Mobil 1. Doesnt surprise me one bit.

This is crazy, 5w30 is not going to affect anything rather then using 5w20. 2000 Ford Duratec V6, says 5W30, dealer will use 5W20 when bought in for an oil change. No different then back in the early 90's when dealers started recomending 5W30 for energy conservation.

My co-worker who is a diesel mechanic for 30 years uses 20W50 in his 2000 Dodge Dakota, he got 40k miles with no problems.

I am not saying it will cause any problems. I just thought that it was ironic. Seeing how so many of their vechiles are going over to 5W20 and 0W20 you would think that they would have some in bulk. I was wrong on the price I just looked at the invoive again and it was $30 or $32. The next oil change is going to be one of the following: RTS 5W40, M1 TSUV 5W30 or M1 0W40. I have plenty of these and plenty of filters in the gargae. My 2003 Camry has the same engine as their 2007.We are a synthetic family when it comes to oil.

I do not freq. the dealership for maintence so I just thought it was funny.I am sure that if you asked for it they probably have it in individual quarts labled as Toyota brand oil.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
The next oil change is going to be one of the following: RTS 5W40, M1 TSUV 5W30 or M1 0W40.

I can already hear that 07 Camry start to gag at the thought.
wink.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I am not saying it will cause any problems. I just thought that it was ironic. Seeing how so many of their vechiles are going over to 5W20 and 0W20 you would think that they would have some in bulk. I was wrong on the price I just looked at the invoive again and it was $30 or $32. The next oil change is going to be one of the following: RTS 5W40, M1 TSUV 5W30 or M1 0W40. I have plenty of these and plenty of filters in the gargae. My 2003 Camry has the same engine as their 2007.We are a synthetic family when it comes to oil.

I do not freq. the dealership for maintence so I just thought it was funny.I am sure that if you asked for it they probably have it in individual quarts labled as Toyota brand oil.

Actually, the engine was upgraded extensively for 2007. There were some internal modifications made to that engine, and increasing the sump capacity from 4.0 to 4.4? quarts was one of them, along with adding sprayers. (Thread in Auto Topics)

Btw- does the oil cap have 0w20 or 5w20 printed on it?

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/46537/article.html
quote:

Program cars have been owned by the manufacturer and given to employees for a short time to use for company business. The idea is to have a Ford employee, for example, drive a late-model Ford to advertise the company's product. These cars are maintained by the factory and usually sent to auction before the odometer turns 10,000 miles. The cars are sold to Ford dealers at closed auctions and then put up for sale on the car lot advertised as "program cars."

Back to the original topic - My daughter stopped at the Toyota dealer to get an oil filter for her '07 Camry a few weeks ago and they told her to use 5W-30 in the car. They told her that's all they use...

Dealerships are more interested in maximizing profits than in giving their customers' vehicles the proper service. Since they can make more $ by using the cheapest oil (including bulk oil) that they can get, that's what they do, and they couldn't care less that the oil is not the weight recommended by the manufacturer. Same with oil filters and air filters and numerous other things.

I have learned never to trust dealerships or oil change places. I think a person is much better off changing their own oil. I have some personal experiences.

At a IffyLube some small change I had in my car was stolen. And at a GreasyApe I caught the employees trying to switch Mystik 10W-40 oil (which was not even the correct viscosity) with the Mobil 1 oil I had brought in.

I have heard frequent stories that much of the oil in bulk tanks is 10W-30 and that is what is installed in a customer's car or truck even if the vehicle requires 5W-30 or 5W-20.

Joint pain or not I will change my own oil.

"Dealerships are more interested in maximizing profits than in giving their customers' vehicles the proper service. Since they can make more $ by using the cheapest oil (including bulk oil) that they can get, that's what they do, and they couldn't care less that the oil is not the weight recommended by the manufacturer."

I can't go along with that as a universal statement, even though there are plenty of dealerships where it fits. Most dealerships sell the recommended fluids at outrageous prices. The Spokane, WA Honda dealership had the Honda 5w-20 oil at a very good price and has the absolute best crush washers I have found anywhere. I got the strong impression they wanted to make sure people could afford to use the recommended oil in their Honda's. I also got the Honda recommended transmission oil at what I considered a reasonable price from the Olympia, WA Honda dealer. But then I could get going about Dodge dealers, VW dealers, etc.

Don

Oh grow up, every dealer in the country is not out to ruin your cars, even if putting 10W30 or 5W30 could possibly do that. Can't speak to the quick oil change place problems, I don't go there.

I only have personal experience with GM, but I know at least the Big 3 operate the same. GM regularly audits our purchases to make sure we are buying oil, etc. that meets their specs. Their preferred oil supplier is Mobil, and that's what we buy, 5W30 dino for the bulk, Mobil-1 for the 'vettes etc., and Delo for the diesels.

The people who make these decisions here spend the minimum amount of time thinking about what goes on back here, because when the day is done Sales in king. What they don't want from back here is problems. We don't have the 5W20 vs 5W30 thing to deal with, but if I were running a place that did I'd be putting 5W30 in my tank because it would do a fine job in everything. Get over it or do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back