Toyota Corolla leaves family stranded.

Show me some gas cars made in the last 10 years with a fuel filter that is part of scheduled maintenance.
Now that you changed you remark to include "scheduled maintenance" I can't tell you which cars require it and when.
The original assumption was "cars haven't been equipped with fuel filters for a long time" Which is NOT correct.
I figured a simple part number would tell you that.
My 2018 does in fact have a Gasoline fuel filter. The manual does tell you to change the filter according to the maintenance schedule, but being Mercedes, they don't tell you what that schedule is or if it only applies to diesel powered vehicles.

Now that you changed you remark to include "scheduled maintenance" I can't tell you which cars require it and when.
The original assumption was "cars haven't been equipped with fuel filters for a long time" Which is NOT correct.
I figured a simple part number would tell you that.
My 2018 does in fact have a Gasoline fuel filter. The manual does tell you to change the filter according to the maintenance schedule, but being Mercedes, they don't tell you what that schedule is or if it only applies to diesel powered vehicles.
I put in scheduled maintenance because some people here will say, Well the fuel pump has a filter, that counts. If you want to get technical, ok, but it's just usually a single layer strainer and getting to it requires removing the pump which often requires removing the gas tank. Maybe I should have wrote, "cars haven't been equipped with normally replaceable fuel filters for a long time"

You mean O2 sensor? That shouldn't prevent it from running. Maybe MAF sensor?
Thats what I thought as well. I was updated over text and was told they diagnosed it as a shorted out air/fuel ratio sensor and the car was ready for pick up. The car is at a dealership 7 hours from there home so I believe they go to pick it up on Saturday (broke down while out of town). Maybe I will get more info then.

I was hoping the update would include more details especially with a six page thread going on.
Sorry, thats all I have. I think they go to pick up the car on Saturday so if I get more info I'll gladly share. I do hope it is fixed for their sake.

Thanks... That should be a quick, easy fix, right?
All good now? Cost?

Thanks in advance!
They said only $300 of the work was covered. I told them since it's under factory warranty it should be free but I never got a response back. Supposedly it's back in running condition but they don't go to pick up the car until Saturday. Hopefully it gets them home safely and the issue is truly fixed.

Very hard to believe this was an O2 sensor failure: Such a failure puts the car in 'open loop' mode, it sets a code, runs a little rich, mileage suffers somewhat, and you can keep right on driving.

My experience is older cars; if I'm missing a critical piece of modern theory I hope someone will tell me!

I hope there's a miscommunication somewhere and the problem is well and truly fixed. Nothing is less fun than "We fixed it" and you go several hours to pick it up, drive it away and they didn't fix it.

Had that experience a few times but my new cars are someone else's junk so I can't gripe too much. And my wife is a good sport.

They said only $300 of the work was covered. I told them since it's under factory warranty it should be free but I never got a response back. Supposedly it's back in running condition but they don't go to pick up the car until Saturday. Hopefully it gets them home safely and the issue is truly fixed.
Did they also do the fuel pump recall while at it? ... assuming it was a Toyota dealership again for this repair.

BTW, I'd report the selling dealer to Toyota (if it was bought at a Toyota dealer), and also report to the state's Attorney General that they are selling cars with open safety recalls.

Here’s one I had full of wood or some sort of debris in tank pump

fuel sample in this was about 35% water pulling it from rail into measuring cup. After draining fuel found plenty of diesel in it too

we have had plenty of gas vehicles come in with diesel and vise versa and everyone always throws out the argument of “the nozzle won’t fit” but the evidence shows somehow they got it in there. Have had full tanks even so not like some one off sabotage fill from a bottle

Attachments

• 8140EF2C-74FB-42FE-84F3-CCB02D2D6162.jpeg
    8140EF2C-74FB-42FE-84F3-CCB02D2D6162.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 6E4FF910-F38E-48BD-8F5D-5D9441F59BFB.jpeg
    6E4FF910-F38E-48BD-8F5D-5D9441F59BFB.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 41
I suppose I forgot to post update. The car failed to accelerate again, and they took it to a local dealer if I remember correctly. The problem was indeed the recalled fuel pump. Its unbelievable they had to go through all that trouble (broke down out of state, hotel stay, away from home for days) and the idiotic dealer refused to believe it was the fuel pump, which was under active recall.

Long story short, the original dealer got a royal chewing out and my cousin got a refund.

Back