Toyota Corolla leaves family stranded.

The current Toyota dealer brought this up, which prompted my family member to call the original dealer back and press them on why the recall wasn’t brought up. They admitted to knowing about the recall and not saying anything about it. I don’t think it’s going to end well for them.

That happened to my mom and step father... The Ram had a recall on it about a part failing which could and DID lead to a massive failure. Aka transmission ripped away from the motor, the bell housing ripped out too, rear end axle destroyed... A whole mess. Happened in South Carolina on the bridge to Isle of Palm.

And the local dealer never mentioned that recall. So it was a mess.

Ram was repaired... Eventually. Took about a month to get all that done and another trip to SC for my mom and step father to pick up the repaired truck.

That happened to my mom and step father... The Ram had a recall on it about a part failing which could and DID lead to a massive failure. Aka transmission ripped away from the motor, the bell housing ripped out too, rear end axle destroyed... A whole mess. Happened in South Carolina on the bridge to Isle of Palm.

And the local dealer never mentioned that recall. So it was a mess.

Ram was repaired... Eventually. Took about a month to get all that done and another trip to SC for my mom and step father to pick up the repaired truck.
Oh god. That's a long bridge.

Sounds like a get a rental car go home and move on with your life till it’s fixed situation

could be bad gas I see probably a dozen a year sometimes it’s diesel in the gas sometimes it’s water or god knows what but yes it happens. Sometimes plugs need to be replaced after as well have seen a few bent valves on stuff too.

At this point I would trust dealer diagnosis over your family member’s reports, since it quite obvious she is not mechanically inclined. A flashing check engine light indicates a serious issue and that the engine needs to be stopped immediately. Her “limping it” to the gas station may be what put the final nail into this issue.

At this point I would trust dealer diagnosis over your family member’s reports, since it quite obvious she is not mechanically inclined. A flashing check engine light indicates a serious issue and that the engine needs to be stopped immediately. Her “limping it” to the gas station may be what put the final nail into this issue.
really trust a dealer that suddenly forgets about an open recall !

Happened to the Malibu when it was new. Dealer charged about 550 bucks to drop the tank, clean the lines, do an injector service, replace the sparks plugs and verify the fuel pump worked properly. Never had a problem again.

It was mostly water. Dealer saved the "gas" they drained. It would even light. The station admitted they had a problem. It is a small mom and pop place. It affected 6 cars including both of the owners cars. Their insurance paid for it. The owners Lexus cost 1,200 dollars to fix.

I do not hear or read much about bad gas these days due to contaminants these days. At least on the east coast. E10 will deal with some water especially if its a small amount in a large gas station tank. I have read of a few mistakes of gas in diesel or diesel in gas.

When I dropped the tank on my 1993 Suburban to replace the fuel pump (3 times) the inside of the tank was pristine. Just my hands that were dirty.

But I do have a question. The tanker trucks just seem to throw the hoses back on the holders on the truck when they are done. Does dirt or rain or snow get in the hose. It does not look like the ends of the hoses are covered with any kind of cap.

I dont know what has everyone riled up , but I wouldnt doubt for a second its not bad gas..
dealer could charge $600 then submit the bill for the the warranty recalled fuel pump too.

Some of the stuff they try to sell at the local dealers here is eyebrow raising.

Just had the Mother-in-law's 2013 equinox in for the warranty recalled o2? sensor..

tryed 5x to sell wife an additional $2800 in services..
car runs fine.. has new brakes, and tires.

It does eat oil.. they wanted to super flush it and change it for only $249
THERE IS NO OIL ON DIPSTICK WE CANT LET YOU LEAVE.

it was 3/4 quart from full mark and fine.. car sucks oil for last 10k miles like MANY of 2.4 of this gen do.

IT might get maybe 2500miles a year. not putting $$$ into it all owners manual recommended services are done.

Get this they were trying to sell tires.. these pirelli's have 1k miles on them, thats how bad the service advisor was.
then they tried to sell rotate and balance...
it was 5 or 6 trips out with "stuff we need to do"
I could write a book about this crapo experience but you get the idea.

Unfortunately this has been the routine at Chevy dealers over the past several years. Upsell, upsell, upsell.

I have been to 4 different dealers now with my Equinox over the past 6 years, and now simply go to the one that upsells me the least.

Been learning about drive-by-wire, from what I understand, for my 2004 Toyota 3.3 there 2 sensors in the accelerator pedal and 2 in the throttle body that any of the 4 could fail and render it in limp mode, therefore I have been buying replacements for spares. If ever I have something disassembled, say have the alternator off, I may substitute the spare for the current part and then use that part for the 'new' spare, so I'll tested both and have a 'good' known spare. Here's a diagnostic chart that may give some insight, and the accompanying video is about Dirty / Sticky Butterfly Plate which may or may not be relevant;

The current Toyota dealer brought this up, which prompted my family member to call the original dealer back and press them on why the recall wasn’t brought up. They admitted to knowing about the recall and not saying anything about it. I don’t think it’s going to end well for them.
Curious about this and maybe only dealer-related folks may know.... Presume that dealer diagnosed and replaced the fuel pump and it solved the issue, then billed the customer. How does the dealer explain that to corporate ? Something tells me when the dealer inputs the VIN, it will pop up telling them there's an open recall.

On the other hand, the dealer can stand behind their diagnosis of bad gas and the fuel pump recall is kinda secondary to the issue at hand. Sure, they could offer to do the recall work but they didn't. Or, if she proceeded with them doing the fuel drain, cleaning, etc, then they'd suggest/insist on doing the recall. Even better for them labor-hour-wise too as your relative was paying for 80% (??) of the labor involved in swapping the fuel pump.

But I do have a question. The tanker trucks just seem to throw the hoses back on the holders on the truck when they are done. Does dirt or rain or snow get in the hose. It does not look like the ends of the hoses are covered with any kind of cap.
They might pick something up, but the gas pump itself has a large spin on filter. Every so often I will see them working on a pump, and see it, it's rather large--and a bit scary when I go to get gas and the pump is running slow (plugged filter)!

They might pick something up, but the gas pump itself has a large spin on filter. Every so often I will see them working on a pump, and see it, it's rather large--and a bit scary when I go to get gas and the pump is running slow (plugged filter)!
That would not help with water or snow?

That would not help with water or snow?
I wouldn't think so, I'd think water would flow through the filter media just as well as fuel. Only if it had a water separator in it, which they may well have, since diesel engine pumps really don't like water, and some of the high pressure gas engine pumps probably don't care for either.

Back