Toyota Corolla Cross has a new 2.0?

I just saw an ad for the new Toyota Corolla Cross, which seems to be a reimagining of the Matrix. A 2003 Matrix was the first new car I ever owned so I highly approve of the general concept of a Corolla crossover. I looked it up online and unlike the normal Corolla 1.8L engine we’re all used to the Cross has a 2.0. Is this a new engine or has Toyota already been selling something with this engine in the US market?

This engine has been around since 2018. Corollas use it, and C-HR does too. This 2.0L "M20A" engine makes around ~170HP (168–176 hp) depending on the vehicle it's in. Does great in manual Corolla, but is an absolute sloth in CVT applications, especially in Toyota C-HR. The loss in power is somewhat compensated by 2 extra MPG in CVT vs 6-speed iMT (intelligent Manual Transmission, per Toyota). Does have dual fuel injection (direct plus port) so should be very reliable for many years to come.

Last edited:
I jsut saw the commercial and was wondering why market it as a Corolla Cross when they already have the RAV4.
To make competition for vehicles like Mazda CX-30, Subaru Crosstrek, VW Taos, etc. "Fun-size" crossover for the tight city streets.
RAV4 has its work cut out for it in shape of Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forester, VW Tiguan, and other "normal" size crossovers.

The RAV4 is... Portly compared to what it was.
To make competition for vehicles like Mazda CX-30, Subaru Crosstrek, VW Taos, etc. "Fun-size" crossover for the tight city streets.
RAV4 has its work cut out for it in shape of Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forester, VW Tiguan, and other "normal" size crossovers.

Good points and thanks for the explanation.

This engine has been around since 2018. Corollas use it, and C-HR does too. This 2.0L "M20A" engine makes around ~170HP (168–176 hp) depending on the vehicle it's in. Does great in manual Corolla, but is an absolute sloth in CVT applications, especially in Toyota C-HR. The loss in power is somewhat compensated by 2 extra MPG in CVT vs 6-speed iMT (intelligent Manual Transmission, per Toyota). Does have dual fuel injection (direct plus port) so should be very reliable for many years to come.
Minor correction: the C-HR uses the port-injected-only 3ZR-FAE, not the M20A-FKS.

Well, I have driven a MA20A-FKS for 1,000 miles.
A loaner from Lexus.
I have driven a MA20A-FXS for 180,000 miles.
This drivetrain is stellar.
Including the eCVT.

Just saw the original generation 2 door this evening; it is like a little shoe on wheels.

Long gone is the 5sp manual and all trac RAV4s. booo.
For sure.

And look at this little guy I saw when fueling:

Attach29096_20210910_102108.jpg

Amazing!

When going to the office was still a thing, I was a passenger in the original RAV4 2DR. It was a manual too. It’s a rare find.
The OG RAV4 is turning into something of a cult classic
This commerical gives Office Space vibes

Such 90s optimism :love:
I'd call the 2 door soft tops the RAV2
If you adjust the '97 MSRP for inflation, you get $35,969.18
A MY22 starts at $26,525

Back