Toyota Corolla 2011 1.8L ATF does it need to be genuine

Many use maxlife as a replacement for WS. I have no direct experience with it

I’m probably erring on the side of caution, but I’ve only used used T-IV transmission fluid in Toyota or Aisin bottles for my wife’s 2003 Corolla with the 4-speed auto and 201k. I did the first transmission fluid change at 60k and every 30k thereafter. No transmission problems ever, aside from a $5 shifter bushing.

Have over 120k on ML ATF in a 2001 and a 2008 Corolla with the 4 speed auto. Works excellent and zero problems. I do yearly drain and fills since its only $17 a gallon at WM.

The OP's initial question was 'do I have to use the original Toyota brand ATF WS fluid'?

Personally, I would. Toyota ATF WS is quite easily available and relatively not too expensive. If you do the ATF drain every 2-3 years, the few extra dollars are spread over that time.

While I am sure that a lot of other branded fluids would also work just fine (or better) - and there are many excellent examples of other folks in the forum with good experience with other fluids - personally I would just use WS fluid.

+1 for Maxlife. I did 3 drain and fills with a new filter on the last in my 2012 Corolla at 125k. Crisped up the slush box and was still going strong 20k later. Sold it after putting on 20k.

I've got a 2015 Lexus RX350 with 178k miles on it. I got it at 162k. I changed the transmission fluid/filter about 165k, filled it with Amsoil OE fluid. Drained the pain and refilled again about a week later. That's been 10k+ miles and it runs great. I am planning on draining and filling once more, then dropping the pan again and replacing the filter and gasket again and I should be good for a while.

Just drained and dropped the pan on our LX570 and put in Amsoil OE fluid. That's a pretty expensive vehicle but I'm confident in the Amsoil Transmission fluid. Plenty of people are using it in Toyota Transmissions (Aisin) with no problems.

Back