Toyota Considering Offering Prius Hybrid to GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa! Will GM take GM card earnings for their "prius"? I've already bought the Pontiac Vibe with my GM card earnings. maybe in 4 years, a "prius"
LOL.gif
What's sad, the article said GM will stop building the vibe in 8/09!
mad.gif

Last edited:
yes, stopping the production of the Vibe is another BRILLIANT GM idea...

So now, they are left with Buick, GMC and Cadillac All HIGHLY known for their fuel efficiency
thumbsup2.gif
wink.gif
and of course chevrolet who has some of the best most fuel efficient cars that anyone can make under someone elses engineering.

GM should have and still should just go away.

There is truth to this, their only "fuel efficent" cars are Korean(Aveo, GM Daewoo) and German(Cobalt, Opel).

Autoblog thinks differently.

Autoblog Article

Quote:
Many of these rumors indicate that the two automakers are considering building the Prius together at the New United Motor Manufacturing Incorporated (NUMMI) joint venture in California, but GM has today announced that its involvement in NUMMI is over.

It remains a possibility that Toyota will fully take over the reigns at NUMMI to finally build the Prius in America, but even if that's the case, it's extremely unlikely that General Motors will have anything to do with the project in light of its own massive undertaking of readying the Chevrolet Volt for the market in 2011.

They better concentrate a little harder on getting the Volt's price down or they're gonna have a lot of dead batteries sitting around at car lots. There's no point in buying a car that saves you money on gas if you end up paying the difference, and then some, on the sticker.

Originally Posted By: nthach
There is truth to this, their only "fuel efficent" cars are Korean(Aveo, GM Daewoo) and German(Cobalt, Opel).

Absolute BULL!

The Malibu and Impala are both very fuel efficient vehicles that rival or surpass the foreign competition in the same class. The GM full size trucks are some of the most fuel efficient out there and they get better fuel economy than Nissan and Toyota FS trucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Autoblog thinks differently.

Autoblog Article

Quote:
Many of these rumors indicate that the two automakers are considering building the Prius together at the New United Motor Manufacturing Incorporated (NUMMI) joint venture in California, but GM has today announced that its involvement in NUMMI is over.

It remains a possibility that Toyota will fully take over the reigns at NUMMI to finally build the Prius in America, but even if that's the case, it's extremely unlikely that General Motors will have anything to do with the project in light of its own massive undertaking of readying the Chevrolet Volt for the market in 2011.

Does this mean that the NUMMI plant may be done?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Absolute BULL!

The Malibu and Impala are both very fuel efficient vehicles that rival or surpass the foreign competition in the same class. The GM full size trucks are some of the most fuel efficient out there and they get better fuel economy than Nissan and Toyota FS trucks.

On paper, yes. I played with a Impala at work, and the trip computer in a ex-Avis unit said 20.6mpg average. I can juice that out of a 18 year old Lexus V8.

nthach

That is [censored] and you know it, stop being a fan boy for Toyota.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Absolute BULL!

On paper, yes. I played with a Impala at work, and the trip computer in a ex-Avis unit said 20.6mpg average. I can juice that out of a 18 year old Lexus V8.

What kind of driving style? How badly was that old rental beat up? What year Impala was it. Which engine?

My Sister has a 2006 Impala with the 3.5L V6. It is a GREAT car and it gets amazing MPG. I borrow it often and I have even driven it on a long vacation. I can get low 20's around town, high 20's in mixed driving, and all highway I can push 34 MPG+. Those are hand calculated figures as well. My niece has an 05 and it returns similar MPG. These vehicles, when kept in good shape and driven at reasonable speeds, provide excellent fuel economy for their size.

You can't compare an Impala to a Prius or a little Corolla.
smirk2.gif
Please make note I specified that they get exceptional fuel economy based on the class of vehicle they are in. Find a car out there with the size, power, and especially the room of the current Impala that comes even close MPG wise( and that is in the same affordable price range ). Heck, the SS model with the 5.3L V8 can hit 30 MPG highway.

They put a lot of cars into the same size class as the Impala despite the fact they are all smaller yet the Impala hangs with them in the real world MPG wise and gives you more room. Very important to someone like me who is 6' 3" and 300lbs.

Based on how large the vehicle is, with all the room they give you, the MPG is excellent. Plus, put one in the hands of a driver who sticks to the speed limit and they easily exceed the EPA fuel ecoonomy ratings.

Dude you haven't got a clue.

Last edited:
Yeah, everyone I know with a newer Malibu 4 cyl is crazy about the mpg. Been seeing these rumors. Who knows? Toyota leadership is changing. I know the Toyoda family supposedly wasn't happy about the plans to switch from trucks to Prius's at the Mississippi plant. Maybe building them in Cali is the new idea? But GM involvement doesn't sound likely. And I agree on the Volt. Get that thing cheap and get it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back