Toyota confirms 3-row electric SUV

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Toyota confirmed that it will assemble a three-row battery electric SUV at its Georgetown, Kentucky, plant starting in 2025.

The new SUV will use batteries supplied from Toyota’s North Carolina plant, and it says that facility will be “Toyota’s hub for developing and producing lithium-ion batteries needed for its expanding portfolio of electrified vehicles.”

Toyota has been one of the worse with supply chain issues on their Hybrids.
With the new '24 Taco going hybrid and this EV announcement, should be interesting to see what they actually get on the ground to sell.
Yes, its 2024 to 2025, but that is only a year or 2 out.

Sounds like CEO Kato is getting it in gear after they kicked Toyoda upstairs for missing the EV market. Good move; more quality products only benefit us, the consumers.

Will be an interesting product if it goes towards an aerodynamic variant of the classic Toyota design form, not the overly plastic clad, square front design….

It will have high utility if efficient and has decent range…

Would be great if it had a small gas engine to use as a range extender. Kinda like how nissans e power system basically works. Just with a much bigger battery.

Would be great if it had a small gas engine to use as a range extender. Kinda like how nissans e power system basically works. Just with a much bigger battery.
I get the idea, but I think that makes things even worse for engine longevity. All the starting and stopping to charge as a generator only seems like it would never really run long enough to get to operating temperature especially in cold climates unless it was on an extended trip. It does sound great though.

I get the idea, but I think that makes things even worse for engine longevity. All the starting and stopping to charge as a generator only seems like it would never really run long enough to get to operating temperature especially in cold climates unless it was on an extended trip. It does sound great though.
Yeah only for long trips. No need to run that if you have 250 miles in the pack and will need 200. But on long and high speed drives definitely. Especially since battery pack discharge efficiency isn't flat and at higher speeds there will be higher pack output losses and the engine can be pretty efficient at low speeds so if one anticipates definitely needing the range extender using it to maximize the efficiency curves of both would be the smart thing. Though it would take an advanced system to make that automatic since most people wouldn't want to do extra work. But cars can be quite efficient if they have no transmission and just an engine, generator, and ev drivetrain. That's what the Nissan E power system is. Though with a smaller battery and a system that constantly cycles the engine.

All these "new-fangled" vehicles! LOL!
Regardless of future changes made they still won't appeal to many of us. I still will never rely on even simple cruise control, let alone anything more involved. To each their own as I will gladly own/drive ICE as long as fuel is available and it surely will for the rest of my lifetime. Whatever happens beyond that clearly makes no real world difference to me today.

I do find it hilarious when so many companies go on and on about lower emissions when I live fairly close to the NC megasite and will tell ya there's a **** ton of emissions being cranked out in the building phase as it's a massive undertaking. How much battery power will it take to reverse all that's being caused to create it as we speak?

I believe a three row electric SUV will be a mistake. EV's are already heavy enough and the form factor of a three row design just about guarantees that the Toyota will have poor range. Unless of course they make a breakthrough in battery technology before then. The market is crying out for mid-sized electric SUV's. They would be smarter to make something along the size of their popular RAV4. But Toyota hasn't made many smart choices lately so I'm sure their new SUV will prove to be a disappointment except to maybe soccer moms who are shuttling 7 or 8 kids around on short trips.

I think those are going to be the days of the past, like the Chevy Volt.
It will be ICE, hybrid or electric. I think eventually ICE or EV only very limited Hybrids.

In five years the EV choices are going to be the same as buying a new TV, market awash in them. Interesting times ahead. At some point an over supply is CERTAINLY going to happen. Im looking forward to seeing how it all pans out and how fast. We are still at less than 1% EVs on American highways. Will we ever get to 20% in the next decade?
No way to know if the charge points, grid and public patience will support lithium powered cars.

The only thing that would ever move me from ICE is that 3 row SUV with a 5000+ tow rating and cost the same as ICE with a long range about the same, which with current technology is not possible.

Example, I drove 200 miles yesterday each way to pick up our boat (with trailer) which we had in storage near the home we just sold.
60% of the trip 80 MPH 35% 55+ The way home we were towing roughly 3500 Lbs.

Some traffic issues here and there extended the travel time to around 3 there to up to 4 hours home. (rough guess)
My Chevy Traverse did that without blinking an eye. Maybe 8 minutes tops to refuel on the way back?
When an EV can do that and for the same price it might be an option, I suspect though that will never happen in my lifetime or if it does, it wont be a battery powered EV.
For my wife's car, an EV is an easy choice, around town car mostly though we do do some 6 hours days VERY rarely. Just take the SUV instead if she had an EV.
Current EV do have a market but not for everyone by any means. Maybe Toyota will get a leg up on a 3 row SUV but at some point in the future, it is what the public demands and one day, current lithium technology will be just as advanced as a carburetor on a gas engine. Obsolete.

Americans like SUVs, nice big SUVs too. That will never change, except for commuter cars maybe. In addition to being super practical, they are comfortable and we live a better lifestyle than much the world, including the expansive highway system. Let's not forget also, for some, status symbol.
Good for Toyota for its forward thinking, but I think the big factor for all of them will be cost over ICE until some other EV technology else comes along. To me its all a waste of money but maybe in the coming 100 years EVs will replace ICE as far as cost effective..

Last edited:
I think those are going to be the days of the past, like the Chevy Volt.
It will be ICE, hybrid or electric. I think eventually ICE or EV only very limited Hybrids.

In five years the EV choices are going to be the same as buying a new TV, market awash in them. Interesting times ahead. At some point an over supply is CERTAINLY going to happen. Im looking forward to seeing how it all pans out and how fast. We are still at less than 1% EVs on American highways. Will we ever get to 20% in the next decade?
No way to know if the charge points, grid and public patience will support lithium powered cars.

The only thing that would ever move me from ICE is that 3 row SUV with a 5000+ tow rating and cost the same as ICE with a long range about the same, which with current technology is not possible.

Example, I drove 200 miles yesterday each way to pick up our boat (with trailer) which we had in storage near the home we just sold.
60% of the trip 80 MPH 35% 55+ The way home we were towing roughly 3500 Lbs.

Some traffic issues here and there extended the travel time to around 3 there to up to 4 hours home. (rough guess)
My Chevy Traverse did that without blinking an eye. Maybe 8 minutes tops to refuel on the way back?
When an EV can do that and for the same price it might be an option, I suspect though that will never happen in my lifetime or if it does, it wont be a battery powered EV.
For my wife's car, an EV is an easy choice, around town car mostly though we do do some 6 hours days VERY rarely. Just take the SUV instead if she had an EV.
Current EV do have a market but not for everyone by any means. Maybe Toyota will get a leg up on a 3 row SUV but at some point in the future, it is what the public demands and one day, current lithium technology will be just as advanced as a carburetor on a gas engine. Obsolete.

Americans like SUVs, nice big SUVs too. That will never change, except for commuter cars maybe. In addition to being super practical, they are comfortable and we live a better lifestyle than much the world, including the expansive highway system. Let's not forget also, for some, status symbol.
Good for Toyota for its forward thinking, but I think the big factor for all of them will be cost over ICE until some other EV technology else comes along. To me its all a waste of money but maybe in the coming 100 years EVs will replace ICE as far as cost effective..

Yeah, you're not doing that tow well with most or if any EVs. I will say though the slowdown would have been basically unnoticeable in an EV. You aren't using much power while sitting and creeping especially compared to gas, but beyond all of that like you've said here the right tool for the job.

I know I've covered it many times, but I don't understand SUVs being considered comfortable. Are the seats soft? Sure. Body on frame trucks just don't ride well, not even close compared to a properly equipped car. Pretty sure the Traverse is unibody though, which would make it a fancy tall wagon(probably a better solution for most)? Yes, some do ride better than others and they should for $100k, but I'm in 2022-2023 Yukons especially almost daily and sitting that far above the wheel line only amplifies rough roads. They were all farm implements first and have slowly been modified in such a way to make them more comfortable and make them the perfect vehicle for those 3% that actually tow. I've watched my GTI almost get hit about 5 times in parking lots because people just whip into parking spaces and they had no possibility of seeing the car around towering trucks. You can't see over the side of a bed of a full size truck, let alone an SUV. I thought my F150 rode great until I got something else. My wife hated riding in that truck and now I understand why. Everyone has what they like though and I understand that part of it.

I know I've covered it many times, but I don't understand SUVs being considered comfortable. ...My wife hated riding in that truck and now
understand why. Everyone has what they like though and I understand that part of it.
Yeah, we both had this conversations and on different sides, that's ok.
I dont know, maybe you just never drove the right SUV? Got me.
Then again, everyone has a preference and different uses for vehicles. I guess you never experienced a pleasant one with a good SUV.
My Traverse laps up the miles so comfortably... maybe those in doubt should rent one?

I do notice a certain amount of people, way more so in the EV threads who dont get it and are happy with compact cars. Some go to suggest that you cant sit in a car anyway for 3 straight hours (or more) driving and have to stop whether an EV or SUV, they justify this time spent is to recharge the battery. I think to myself, maybe they need to try talking a walk on "the wild side"

Well, all I can say is this. True example. Last year when I thought we were going to move to Florida I made 7 trips there. 3 possibly 4 of those trips were daytime trips. Non stop 4 hours each way and 2 to 3 hours in-between running and looking at homes. Each time I was back in time for dinner at 6 PM. Trying to do that in a compact car would have been brutal, trying to do that in a EV compact car would have been even more brutal. I mean, pointless to suggest running those miles and speeds being able to refuel in minutes isnt convenient.

Ok, so recent move to NC. Pulled a 4 wheel UHAUL in complete comfort for those 200 miles, same interstate speeds of up to 85 MPG. (my wife was following me in her Mazda and thought I was nuts) The point is, it was effortless and thoughtless about battery power ect.

BTW- I am height/weight BMI so it's not like I cant fit in a compact car, they are fun to drive but long range to me is like this.
To me, kind of like does one want to live in an apartment, Condo, small home, larger home or very large home. There is a difference to each their own liking.

Maybe its hard to believe an SUV can cruise at 100 MPH without a hic-cup of discomfort, My use demands a SUV, I do this day still my own landscaping to stay in good health, work out and stay fit, I many times pick up my owns trees, shrubs ect Heck Ill cut my own lawn on a 100 degree day in the middle of the day.
To give you an idea. (I could post the receipt if challenged) I just had 4,620 Lbs of patio stones (as long as they dont get wet) delivered and dropped in my driveway, I moved them by myself (with wife helping to push the cart) to the back yard where I laid them out. 84 stepping stones weighing 55 lbs each. Well, I decided I wanted another 20 so took my Traverse to Lowes and loaded up by myself another 1100 lbs.
Cant do this stuff without an SUV or truck. I most likely one of the few in my community that does my own work, Im kind of proud of staying in shape, my family history with the heart and diabetes is horrible and I am the only unaffected by any large degree (minor plaque). So proud of that, think my wife is too, most everyone hires everyone for every little task in todays world. I dont get it ...

WOW another retarded long post no time to proof read, going to the beach, Ocean is a stones throw away in our new home :)
Have a great day, enjoy good conversation!

Yeah, we both had this conversations and on different sides, that's ok.
I dont know, maybe you just never drove the right SUV? Got me.
Then again, everyone has a preference and different uses for vehicles. I guess you never experienced a pleasant one with a good SUV.
My Traverse laps up the miles so comfortably... maybe those in doubt should rent one?

I do notice a certain amount of people, way more so in the EV threads who dont get it and are happy with compact cars. Some go to suggest that you cant sit in a car anyway for 3 straight hours (or more) driving and have to stop whether an EV or SUV, they justify this time spent is to recharge the battery. I think to myself, maybe they need to try talking a walk on "the wild side"

Well, all I can say is this. True example. Last year when I thought we were going to move to Florida I made 7 trips there. 3 possibly 4 of those trips were daytime trips. Non stop 4 hours each way and 2 to 3 hours in-between running and looking at homes. Each time I was back in time for dinner at 6 PM. Trying to do that in a compact car would have been brutal, trying to do that in a EV compact car would have been even more brutal. I mean, pointless to suggest running those miles and speeds being able to refuel in minutes isnt convenient.

Ok, so recent move to NC. Pulled a 4 wheel UHAUL in complete comfort for those 200 miles, same interstate speeds of up to 85 MPG. (my wife was following me in her Mazda and thought I was nuts) The point is, it was effortless and thoughtless about battery power ect.

BTW- I am height/weight BMI so it's not like I cant fit in a compact car, they are fun to drive but long range to me is like this.
To me, kind of like does one want to live in an apartment, Condo, small home, larger home or very large home. There is a difference to each their own liking.

Maybe its hard to believe an SUV can cruise at 100 MPH without a hic-cup of discomfort, My use demands a SUV, I do this day still my own landscaping to stay in good health, work out and stay fit, I many times pick up my owns trees, shrubs ect Heck Ill cut my own lawn on a 100 degree day in the middle of the day.
To give you an idea. (I could post the receipt if challenged) I just had 4,620 Lbs of patio stones (as long as they dont get wet) delivered and dropped in my driveway, I moved them by myself (with wife helping to push the cart) to the back yard where I laid them out. 84 stepping stones weighing 55 lbs each. Well, I decided I wanted another 20 so took my Traverse to Lowes and loaded up by myself another 1100 lbs.
Cant do this stuff without an SUV or truck. I most likely one of the few in my community that does my own work, Im kind of proud of staying in shape, my family history with the heart and diabetes is horrible and I am the only unaffected by any large degree (minor plaque). So proud of that, think my wife is too, most everyone hires everyone for every little task in todays world. I dont get it ...

WOW another retarded long post no time to proof read, going to the beach, Ocean is a stones throw away in our new home :)
Have a great day, enjoy good conversation!

I don't know what small cars you're driving, but if you're comparing to compacts from 20 years ago, they didn't use to be good either. I spend a lot of time in full size body on frame SUVs, including the occasional Navigator and even Escalade. We get mostly full size SUVs for rides for work because of the amount of gear we have to carry with us. I think it's just the natural design of how far above the wheel mounting location that will by nature feel like more of a sway or rocking motion on rough roads. It's always felt uneasy to me. The tradeoff always seems. to be tightening the suspension to combat the sway(F150 IMO) which made it rough or softening the suspension, even the the case of Cadillac's Magnaride which literally makes me sick to my stomach if I'm not driving. That said the GTI is far from a dumbed down basic econobox. It probably is one of the best possible scenarios though considering it has electronically controlled suspension and the only car I've owned so far that had better seats was my 2004 GTO. If you've been in a GTO, you'll know what I mean. They're flat out pillows with big side bolsters. I didn't think the seats in any of my Jags were near as good, though they felt higher quality than the GTO's leather, I just prefer seats you sit in over seats that you sit on. The suspension in comparison on the Tesla is merely ok, but it doesn't have anything like VW's DCC. It's probably more in line with the average midsize car in ride quality. I'd be more than fine longterm in either, but I'd probably prefer the GTI on a long trip, but I've taken many long trips in it so I already know what I'm getting in that scenario.

I find similarly that small crossovers suffer from the same major problem of cheap suspension on a lifted hatch. Good suspension isn't cheap and cheap suspension isn't good. Good suspension can only hide so much of a chassis idiosyncrasies though.

I don't know what small cars you're driving, but if you're comparing to compacts from 20 years ago, they didn't use to be good either. I spend a lot of time in full size body on frame SUVs, including the occasional Navigator and even Escalade. We get mostly full size SUVs for rides for work because of the amount of gear we have to carry with us. I think it's just the natural design of how far above the wheel mounting location that will by nature feel like more of a sway or rocking motion on rough roads. It's always felt uneasy to me. The tradeoff always seems. to be tightening the suspension to combat the sway(F150 IMO) which made it rough or softening the suspension, even the the case of Cadillac's Magnaride which literally makes me sick to my stomach if I'm not driving. That said the GTI is far from a dumbed down basic econobox. It probably is one of the best possible scenarios though considering it has electronically controlled suspension and the only car I've owned so far that had better seats was my 2004 GTO. If you've been in a GTO, you'll know what I mean. They're flat out pillows with big side bolsters. I didn't think the seats in any of my Jags were near as good, though they felt higher quality than the GTO's leather, I just prefer seats you sit in over seats that you sit on. The suspension in comparison on the Tesla is merely ok, but it doesn't have anything like VW's DCC. It's probably more in line with the average midsize car in ride quality. I'd be more than fine longterm in either, but I'd probably prefer the GTI on a long trip, but I've taken many long trips in it so I already know what I'm getting in that scenario.

I find similarly that small crossovers suffer from the same major problem of cheap suspension on a lifted hatch. Good suspension isn't cheap and cheap suspension isn't good. Good suspension can only hide so much of a chassis idiosyncrasies though.

It’s just personal preference, whatever floats your boat, literally!
Even today at Ocean Isle Beach North Carolina I didn’t have to worry about the ridge in the road or any curbs parking on the side of the road when we went to the beach. A car like a Tesla or any compact would’ve been prohibited to park there.
No sense in going further comparing cars, different lifestyles, obviously we have our different preferences.
To me, it’s night and day, almost like living in a one bedroom apartment, compared to having a four bedroom home!

@Torrid (just an fyi since Im a believer in photos on some posts, SUV has a tight suspension maybe because of the tow package, 20 inch rims) Tow package also includes additional cooling for engine, tranny ect. Tracks like its on rails, comfortable as heck, literally showed my wife on the posted 200 mile trip, even at 80 MPH for well over 100 miles, you could let go of the steering wheel and barely need to make corrections on the interstate.
IMG_3306.JPG

Last edited:
It’s just personal preference, whatever floats your boat, literally!
Even today at Ocean Isle Beach North Carolina I didn’t have to worry about the ridge in the road or any curbs parking on the side of the road when we went to the beach. A car like a Tesla or any compact would’ve been prohibited to park there.
No sense in going further comparing cars, different lifestyles, obviously we have our different preferences.
To me, it’s night and day, almost like living in a one bedroom apartment, compared to having a four bedroom home!

@Torrid (just an fyi since Im a believer in photos on some posts, SUV has a tight suspension maybe because of the tow package, 20 inch rims) Tow package also includes additional cooling for engine, tranny ect. Tracks like its on rails, comfortable as heck, literally showed my wife on the posted 200 mile trip, even at 80 MPH for well over 100 miles, you could let go of the steering wheel and barely need to make corrections on the interstate.
View attachment 159778

I'm very surprised thats on a single axle trailer.
Id be afraid of a blowout at 80 on a single axle trailer.

I would be afraid of driving near anyone doing 80 pulling any trailer. :mad:
Pretty standard almost everywhere, but California and Illinois.
Some states allow you to tow in the left lane continuously which Is annoying cubed.

Not even close, see this link:

65 is most common. Only states higher are North and South Dakota. Many are 55 or 60.

It's the crappy undersized tires and crappy wheel bearings that are the problem in addition to other factors.

Back