Toyota Comfort -or Crown Comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per my Hong Kong thread...

This is the epitome of a "car"...spacious and simple.

The one that I was in had an additional set of linkages around the rear doors.

I've got a habit of leaving the passenger rear door open until I've got my luggage...this car had a driver operable linkage to shut it.

Reminds me of my 1981 Datsun 810, later named the Nissan Maxima, with the straight 6 and a voice to tell you, Door is ajar, fuel level is low etc. It was a great car and I would love to have another one. I seem to remember the Toyota Corona Crown in the 70's? I'd bet Toyota would sell tons of these in the U.S.

It's the modern Toyota Crown the base design for the Avalon? I'm sure different but I was under the impression they were related.

Looks like an updated version of the Toyota Cressida of the old days-they didn't sell well in the olden days of big American RWD iron, but I bet they would sell now.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I'd bet Toyota would sell tons of these in the U.S.

No. Sedans, especially with trunks, have gone badly out of style. No one can sell them any more except as large models to seniors/police.

I can see the appeal of it, but most Americans would consider it outdated and ugly. It looks like it rolled right out of the early 90s.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Looks like an updated version of the Toyota Cressida of the old days-they didn't sell well in the olden days of big American RWD iron, but I bet they would sell now.

Yep, it was sold as the Cressida here in the States.

There were different variations as well. The Super Saloon which was very nice and the Royal Saloon was the utmost in size and quality.

i remember these taxis when they had the shifter on on the tree. they have linkages to open the door to prevent people from opening the wrong side door into traffic. they get a lot of tourist that drive on the correct side of the road and are use to opening the right door

I have a couple 4 hour car rides coming up in china in a couple weeks. Last time was a chinese mini van. Hopefully, something better this time.

Those Toyotas are very popular taxis in Japan and I've seen the linkage to close the rear doors in them. Very traditional looking cars, don't think they'd sell here.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i remember these taxis when they had the shifter on on the tree. they have linkages to open the door to prevent people from opening the wrong side door into traffic. they get a lot of tourist that drive on the correct side of the road and are use to opening the right door

They do help the tourists remember which side to get out of but the main point of the driver operated doors is the convenience and service. Everything is geared towards the satisfaction of the customer.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Toyota should sell the Hilux and the Avanza here in the US. But no, they won't, they want to sell the plastic-made cars.

Which cars are made of plastic? Interested to know.

You are not kidding. Americans are rejecting the sedan. Even the Honda Accord is heavily discounted now. I'm old and I like ‘em.

The Tesla sedans seem to still retain high status though.

For those of us who like to drive hard, even the best SUV falls short on driving dynamics. The sports sedan such as various BMW offerings, still works well for the enthusiast.

An interesting video, but the guy who made it has an unhealthy obsession with HK taxis!
smile.gif

The nicest ones are in Tokyo, they put white doilies on the seats and the cars are spotless.

Of all the weird stuff we import here, you'd think these would all over the place here, but I've never seen one. I guess they only get sold when they have really high kms, and not suitable to put on our roads.

Originally Posted by Silk
Of all the weird stuff we import here, you'd think these would all over the place here, but I've never seen one. I guess they only get sold when they have really high kms, and not suitable to put on our roads.

That was my thoughts exactly...I found some imports available into Oz through the usual channels...$4,500US for 450,000km which is amazing mileage when you consider Japan or HK.

There was one for $19,500US, with less than 20k km

Originally Posted by Silk

You should post some pics of the Japanese Imports NZ gets - it was a real eye opener when I was there last year!

They are so normal to me I don't know if they are normal in the rest of the world. Today I worked on a Honda Edix, and a Mazda Premacy, there was a Toyota Wish in for tyres. More interesting to me when I see on this and other forums, parts being hard to get for slightly rare vehicles, for us we can get whatever we want same day if we order early enough, the next day to freight to our town. At the most, parts are a week from Japan. It's harder for us to get parts for an Aussie car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back