Toyota CEO Claims EVs Worsen co2-emissions, Pushes Back on Proposed ICE Bans

To help cut to the chase on the question: "Does an EV pollute more than gasoline?" - the short answer is no.
I answered the question more accurately. When powered by a fuel burning plant, EV’s go fewer miles per BTU consumed, than do economy cars or common hybrids.

It's not a car manufacturer's place to decide. If the market and/or the government demands EVs, Toyota will buckle down and build them or someone else will.
Market yes, government no. Governments seldom are responsible for the consequences of their choices.

Since its clear my thoughts on the subject and I'm not propping ( or denigrating) any one company or offering over another- let me throw this out as an observation.

Just suppose.....

Toyota has come to the final realization and realize the limitations of the EV market and technology in general so they are making what they believe is the necessary penetration and models that work. ( they aren't trying to be the best, first, leader or anything else- just make money while its there)

Don't be surprised because this is how a company not ripe with OPM to throw at everything and politics would have to proceed. They have to stay grounded in reality and continue to make money.

Totally

Its a very probable scenario that they decided "not to pursue at this time."

They do a great job of making real money by selling a great line of vehicles that work and last.

Making money on BEV's while bridging all the implied promises is likely to be a tough scenario.

The sad part is I learned that in high school we were told the first car in America was the Model T in 1903 and only certain people could afford one. I knew cars existed before then but I didn’t think they did here.
The Model T was the first affordable car, because Henry Ford wanted his workers (on the $ saving new assembly lines) to be able to afford one. ICE engines were around since the 1880s, Karl Benz invented one of the first in 1885, and expensive electric cars with limited range also existed before the Model T. Ford definitely started the modern age of cars, though.

I might be wrong, but I would be really surprised if this were true.

Toyota only buys into tech it can vertically integrate and absorb. They also strongly focus on their products for domestic Japan before worrying about foreign market trends.

Toyota is stubborn about getting as many years out of its NIMH factory as possible, hence why we continue to see NIMH end up in a variety of products all over the world since Toyota hasn’t gotten its money’s worth yet.
This is similar to the 4 speed they used for 40 years.

Lithium tech, fabs and mines are all staked out and Toyota has been left behind due to its normal suppliers moving from small HEV batteries to large prismatics.

Unless Toyo can secure mines, fabs, partners and most importantly get the profitability they want they will set out while others build.

Solid state is like years or even decades off, Toyota likely sees its own infrastructure good enough and has no interest in EVs until things change

Honda isn’t swimming in ev that much either just the Clarity and it seems to be gone. So they have none.

Honda isn’t swimming in ev that much either just the Clarity and it seems to be gone. So they have none.

Honda lost its way when it said it would never sell a small car in the US ever again.

They were bit by paying the cost of being leaders in their field before things went mainstream , now they just borrow tech from others (erm Clarity = Voltec) and make oversized comfort vehicles at higher prices.

I think when they lost their way they stopped realizing their niche vehicles although no longer big sellers is what made their brand and brought the enthusiasm to Honda owners.

Ah well

Toyota only buys into tech it can vertically integrate and absorb. They also strongly focus on their products for domestic Japan before worrying about foreign market trends.

Toyota is stubborn about getting as many years out of its NIMH factory as possible, hence why we continue to see NIMH end up in a variety of products all over the world since Toyota hasn’t gotten its money’s worth yet.
This is similar to the 4 speed they used for 40 years.

Lithium tech, fabs and mines are all staked out and Toyota has been left behind due to its normal suppliers moving from small HEV batteries to large prismatics.

Unless Toyo can secure mines, fabs, partners and most importantly get the profitability they want they will set out while others build.

Solid state is like years or even decades off, Toyota likely sees its own infrastructure good enough and has no interest in EVs until things change
Agree with some of your comments. The V6 in our GS and RX is not the latest tech but is dead nuts reliable.
Disagree with your Toyota EV and battery comments. Toyota Solid State Battery

There is much more information out there. North America and especially CA is a huge market for Toyota. CA loves hybrids (which Toyota excells in) and EVs. CA is the leader of North America; Toyota tests their new cars there.
We will just have to wait and see. All good...

Last edited:
EV technology isn't mature yet, and they have yet to be as reliable as Toyota. No EV still has its full range after 200k

They have a tiny one, and they made a deal with GM to license or use their "Ultiam" technology.

Toyota will unveil an electric SUV in Europe in the coming months.
They plan to bring an electric vehicle to North America in the short term and plans to introduce a solid-state battery EV in the early 2020s.
Toyota notes that its hybrid technology has allowed it to hit targeted emission standards without jumping too quickly into the EV world.
Six new Toyota EV models will begin appearing soon, starting in China.

They had an electric RAV-4 that they developed with Tesla. My next door neighbor had one. That was when I thought EVs were stupid.
I hate it when CEOs don't know what their company is doing...

The key word in all of that is China. It is the worlds largest automobile market and EVs are becoming a big part of that.

The key word in all of that is China. It is the worlds largest automobile market and EVs are becoming a big part of that.
BYD, while they are Chinese are IMO a second to Tesla for batteries. They did pioneer LiFeP chemistry for their batteries that promises to be safer than Li-Ion or Li-polymer chemistry. Their buses have given the 3 dominant North American makers(New Flyer/Gillig/NovaBus) a wake-up call.

Toyota did announce a partnership with BYD for Chinese-market BEVs. But, BYD also makes cars in China.

Market yes, government no. Governments seldom are responsible for the consequences of their choices.
Without government you would not be writing this as internet would not exist. It is astonishing how many people who swear in markets and blame government do not know (not "do not understand," but don't know) basic tenets of capitalism and what Adam Smith preached; No government=no capitalism.

But, but... all these 43% efficient gasoline engines, 60% efficient natural gas plants and solid state expectations

are to be commercially exploited and market capitalized! Don't undermine, edyvw. Without market there'd be no long and no short selling in need of an internet. Not even sheeple probably.
Who is this Adam Smith, did Elon Musk ask him for advice on Bitcoin now?

But, but... all these 43% efficient gasoline engines, 60% efficient natural gas plants and solid state expectations

are to be commercially exploited and market capitalized! Don't undermine, edyvw. Without market there'd be no long and no short selling in need of an internet. Not even sheeple probably.
Who is this Adam Smith, did Elon Musk ask him for advice on Bitcoin now?
If there was no government, Elon Musk would probably follow steps of Shia LaBeouf.

With his fourth profitable quarter in a row he really could stand back now and have a Banksy Edition.

Back before the pandemic, I asked my wanna-be hippy co-worker if we were going to take his bougie coal burner (a Tesla 3) to lunch. I thought he was going to cry or hit me or both. 😁

My question is how many more Teslas can get plugged into California's power grid before it burns itself out? Three? Four? With rolling blackouts happening on a regular basis, it would seem obvious that we can't replace more than a tiny fraction of the existing national automobile fleet with the electrical production and distribution capacity we have. My WAG would be that replacing well shy of 10% of existing ICE cars with plugins would overwhelm it completely.

My WAG would be that replacing well shy of 10% of existing ICE cars with plugins would overwhelm it completely.

That’s why utilities push time of use

Our existing Grid can support 50% EVs (not including HD equipment) if the cars charge during off peak hours

That’s why utilities push time of use

Our existing Grid can support 50% EVs (not including HD equipment) if the cars charge during off peak hours
That doesn't feel right to me. I'd have to see the numbers from non-political sources. It also assumes that everything in the system can maintain close to 100% output 24/7, which I sorta doubt. Plus, there's the near 100% increase in coal, NG, and nuclear fuel consumption (more infrastructure).

Back