Toyota CEO Claims EVs Worsen co2-emissions, Pushes Back on Proposed ICE Bans

Henry Ford was the first to use the manufacturing assembly line and interchangable parts to mass produce cars. The T was the first one. Before that, cars were much more hand made and far more expensive. I believe cars predated the Model T by 20 years.

By the way, regarding EVs, some are boring just like boring ICE cars. Teslas are anything like boring, unless you find performance cars boring.
Yes I do find performance cars boring lol 😂 unless it’s hot rods that aren’t loaded with modern components

Lithium batteries and production is a serious environmental concern.
Just like solar panel produce much toxic waste, way more then nuclear power.

But forget all that, I can afford a gasoline combustion engine that could take me any place in the country with convenient refueling stations all over the place which will never leave me stuck.

EV‘s I do believe it definitely good for city people who never travel far. For those that like the open road nothing is going to be as good as good old gasoline combustion engine except maybe a diesel combustion engine🙃
Burn baby burn!
I could care less about emissions from the super clean burning gasoline vehicles on American roads.
Let other countries save the world, we already do our part.

Last edited:
It would be great if we only could utilize that massive, untapped and unlimited source visible to everyone. If only...
Yep, that's why I have solar panels. My electricity bill is less than $10 per month, and that is the fee to be connected to the PGE grid.
I imagine you know CA has some of the highest energy costs in the nation. Pretty much a no brainer around here.

Yep, that's why I have solar panels. My electricity bill is less than $10 per month, and that is the fee to be connected to the PGE grid.
I imagine you know CA has some of the highest energy costs in the nation. Pretty much a no brainer around here.
Which is a much better argument for batteries than hydrogen. Again, hydrogen is about as bad as it gets for automobile fuel.

Which is a much better argument for batteries than hydrogen. Again, hydrogen is about as bad as it gets for automobile fuel.
The Tesla helps me get to break even point for the solar panel project. After that, I am saving huge money.
Ballpark is $60K over the life of the panels. Yippie!

I can only give the "Jet Plane" comparison. In our Gulfstream G550, the engines cannot be heard from the cockpit, but oh-man is that thing fun. It's like the "hand of god" pushing you along.

A quality EV is much the same way,
I drove a Model S, while I’ll never step foot on a G5/G6 a Tesla certainly feels like the automotive equivalent to one. A Prius is like a Airbus A320 - appliance like, a computer has final say on the car’s inputs(much like Airbus uses normal/alt/direct law in terms of human/computer interaction) but it does the job. The Airbus is preferred by low-cost airlines, the Prius is the de facto taxi/Uber car.

I also liked the Chevy Volt as well.

Lithium batteries and production is a serious environmental concern.
Just like solar panel produce much toxic waste, way more then nuclear power.

But forget all that, I can afford a gasoline combustion engine that could take me any place in the country with convenient refueling stations all over the place which will never leave me stuck.

EV‘s I do believe it definitely good for city people who never travel far. For those that like the open road nothing is going to be as good as good old gasoline combustion engine except maybe a diesel combustion engine🙃
Burn baby burn!
I could care less about emissions from the super clean burning gasoline vehicles on American roads.
Let other countries save the world, we already do our part.

I can see a bathtub curve coming on the cost of green - there are so many minerals used in all this that supply/demand and who controls it all will drive numbers that fake leaders will not see coming

Yes I do find performance cars boring lol 😂 unless it’s hot rods that aren’t loaded with modern components
I like performance/tight handling equally and the EV acceleration is quite impressive, but will never replace the ICE plain and simple. Wonder if anybody has attempted a Cannonball run in an EV yet.

Three known BEV compared (correcting some more "spirited" recent studies) – battery production, fuel production and a 260g/kWh mix figured in (funny how the Prius once got defamed by dieselists, its larger battery would be unjustifiable...):

After less than 50tkm current BEV (with batteries not as a service) should usually be justified in case of such 260g CO2 per kWh from the grid. Whoever manages to not focus on the VW Bugatti and the VW Porsche will recognize the VW Egolf needing more than 3 x 260g/kWh from the grid to become something of a problem compared to the hybrid. Peaky talk won't turn back times.

Screenshot 2020-12-19 213642.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ I dont understand this post? Turn back time?? ^^^

Turn back time from what? 1% of new vehicles on the road are electric in the USA.
I can only assume one day we will get to 10% which will be 1000% more ... but ... ummm ... still not exactly close turning back time and by that time, decade maybe? Other solutions may come available. Hydrogen is really the greatest option.

Turn back time from the brands', manufacturers', suppliers', universities' future. Passenger vehicle engines for range extender BEV and PHEV are staying with us for now but this means a somewhat narrow corridor of justifiable research & development, evermore shifts in transmission business and so on. Engineers will be somewhat dedicated, marketing not attack expansive Cadillac on behalf of rudimentary Chevrolet, test stands become boondoggles :)... and more people will even overcome automobilism as such.
Not a bunch of manufacturers but really "automotive ecosystems" from sweat shop to BMW-Welt and from toy store to faculty and parliament are in transition. "Less" so with real trucking because solutions will differ.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for the Hydrogen revolution we were promised around 2005.
Fuel cells for cars are still expensive and one-off made. FCEV passenger cars are still hand-made very much like an NSX or LFA and don’t have great cargo space. Supposedly the new Mirai is RWD and based off TNGA-L(the RWD variant for Lexus and the JDM Crown) and it will have its hydrogen tanks in the floor hump as well as over the rear axle.

FCEV buses and big rigs could gain more traction - COTS fuel cells from Ballard, and due to the number of xNG buses and trucks out there, integration is easier. But even so, a FCEV bus costs north of $1 million. There are active FCEV trucks at the port of LA/Long Beach, but Toyota subsidized that project(and they retrofitted a few trucks too).

I’ve been seeing these make their local runs - and they are also plenty quick for a big box on wheels. https://www.newflyer.com/buses/xcelsior-chargeh2/

Toyota is coming out with a new Mirai, looks great. I don't know if the ceo talking about ev use in Japan has much to do about anything. Maybe I am wrong.

Tax fuel at inflation rate since 1993 and you will see what that does for environment. They will be tripping over itself to reintroduce sedans.

Sadly states are trying to do the opposite front loading higher fees the better your fuel economy is.

All these special fees on economy cars is just a boon to subsidize commercial logging and sand haulers

Its also convenient of Toyota to take that position. It coincides nicely with them having no offering.

The mirai is an answer to a question no one else asked because they did the math on the conversions and availability.

Its also convenient of Toyota to take that position. It coincides nicely with them having no offering.

The mirai is an answer to a question no one else asked because they did the math on the conversions and availability.
Since its clear my thoughts on the subject and I'm not propping ( or denigrating) any one company or offering over another- let me throw this out as an observation.

Just suppose.....

Toyota has come to the final realization and realize the limitations of the EV market and technology in general so they are making what they believe is the necessary penetration and models that work. ( they aren't trying to be the best, first, leader or anything else- just make money while its there)

Don't be surprised because this is how a company not ripe with OPM to throw at everything and politics would have to proceed. They have to stay grounded in reality and continue to make money.

Toyota will unveil an electric SUV in Europe in the coming months.
They plan to bring an electric vehicle to North America in the short term and plans to introduce a solid-state battery EV in the early 2020s.
Toyota notes that its hybrid technology has allowed it to hit targeted emission standards without jumping too quickly into the EV world.
Six new Toyota EV models will begin appearing soon, starting in China.

They had an electric RAV-4 that they developed with Tesla. My next door neighbor had one. That was when I thought EVs were stupid.
I hate it when CEOs don't know what their company is doing...

Back