Toyota cartridge filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Sienna.

I have been able to find these oil filters for the vehicle:

Toyota 04152-yzza1-made in Thailand
Wix 57047-made in South Korea
Napa Gold FIL 7047-must be same as wix? S korea?
Fram ch9972-made in china

where are these filters made:

Champion p967

Mobil 1 ep m1c251

Purolator L25608

The Toyota filter, made in Thailand, is supposedly made at a Denso factory. You might have a chance if that report is true.

I'm just trying to understand the need to source out aftermarket cartridge style oil filters?

ive been working at a Toyota dealer for almost 3 years and i have never seen any issues with the OEM denso filters. actually it's the aftermarket oil filters that come out of the cartridge all distorted and looking like [censored].

are you guys expecting some miracle oil filter from spending 50 cents less?

The toyota filter is about as average as it gets. Does not strike me as being any better than the fram.

I am going to use the toyota filter the first oci because I got 7 qts toyota 5w-30 and a oem filter instead of the free oil change. I would like to try something better if it can be found.

TRD makes a filter (ptr43-00082) for the 2008 Sienna. This filter has metal end caps, unlike the glued ends of the OEM toyota filter.

"TRD High Performance Oil Filters incorporate state-of-the-art design and materials offering superior protection. The filter uses 3 plies of 100% synthetic glass/polyester blend filtration media that 98% efficient at 20 microns - that's smaller than pollen."

The TRD spin-on filters construction is suspiciously similar to Mobil 1 filter construction, so I'm wondering if Mobil 1 makes these filters for TRD? Anyone have any knowledge of these filters?

I still don't understand the obsession of the metal end caps. In my old Toyotas, I used Frams, toughgards, but still Frams. In my European cars, the OE Mann filter uses a paper/resin endcap. One of the other OE filters (I can't remember which M-manufacturer) used what I called "Chip fiber - resin" end cap.... perfectly suitable for my old TDI and now 2.0t.

hu7196x.jpg

If metal end caps are that good... know any manufacturer that makes a filter with metal end caps for a 2008 Passat 2.0t?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
I still don't understand the obsession of the metal end caps. In my old Toyotas, I used Frams, toughgards, but still Frams. In my European cars, the OE Mann filter uses a paper/resin endcap.

Some people still live in the "iron age",and some have moved on, and have open minds where a new reality can exist. Then there are the folks who just seem to enjoy worrying.

Something new is not always better. And something new, and done to save money can lead to all sorts of fun conclusions.

There is adequate, and then there is overkill. I'm sure it's pretty easy to figure out where I sit.

Quote:
I still don't understand the obsession of the metal end caps.

It's not necessarily an obsession with metal end caps. It's an aversion to cardboard end caps. The polymer end caps in your image are just fine. If Fram had them, then no one would give it a thought. This evolution to this modality of end cap composition/construction is relatively new (in terms of spin-on and other filters history). Meanwhile all of the quality producers have chosen to use metal end caps ..and Fram has only used metal on their MORE EXPENSIVE offerings. I don't see the problem with making the connection. Your filter isn't using an injected polymer as an end cap material to SAVE MONEY. It's an advancement with co-benefits. Fram doesn't use metal end caps to SAVE MONEY on an already incredibly cheap process.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
I still don't understand the obsession of the metal end caps.

It's not necessarily an obsession with metal end caps. It's an aversion to cardboard end caps. The polymer end caps in your image are just fine. If Fram had them, then no one would give it a thought. This evolution to this modality of end cap composition/construction is relatively new (in terms of spin-on and other filters history). Meanwhile all of the quality producers have chosen to use metal end caps ..and Fram has only used metal on their MORE EXPENSIVE offerings. I don't see the problem with making the connection. Your filter isn't using an injected polymer as an end cap material to SAVE MONEY. It's an advancement with co-benefits. Fram doesn't use metal end caps to SAVE MONEY on an already incredibly cheap process.

The Mann filter uses a resin imprenated paper end cap as the primarily material. (which is what is pictured). It's not metal... so my engine might blow up, right?

The Mahle filter uses a resin-fiber end cap (it's white) -- I have recieved this filter from the dealership before, though it's been primarily Mann filters. Likewise, it isn't metal either.

The Hengst design is a plastic endcap, which you mentioned. I also found plastic end caps on Purolator packaged filters for my old car as well.

Forgive me here, UG, but where did I suggest that there was anything wrong with composite end caps? I merely stated that Fram uses composite end caps as a cost cutting technique, not as some advanced technology for the good of the environment ..nor superior performance. This is CLEARLY evident due to them using METAL on EVERY OTHER offering of HIGHER COST and ALLEGEDLY SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE filters that they sell. That is, they UPGRADE to what EVERY OTHER DOMESTIC FILTER MANUFACTURER USES and use composite (referred to as cardboard) end caps on their LOWEST offering and ONLY their lowest offering. Fram couldn't spell it out for you any clearer.

My statements were NOT against the use or the sensibility of composite end caps (if you re-read my text). It is a clarification WHY some appear to prefer filters that have metal end caps.

Metal end cap filter producers in spin-on filters
Champ (all non Ecore)
Wix (includes all name branded lines)
Purolator (all spin-on domestics under many labels)
Fram (all except their cheapest offering of the orange can)
what did I miss?
Donaldson (all that I'm aware of in spin-on filters)

What does the preponderance of the evidence suggest? That 5 out of 6 manufactures use metal end caps out of choice on the vast majority of the spin-on filters offered across the globe.

Forgive me here, UG, but where did I suggest that there was anything wrong with composite end caps? I merely stated that Fram uses composite end caps as a cost cutting technique, not as some advanced technology for the good of the environment ..nor superior performance. This is CLEARLY evident due to them using METAL on EVERY OTHER offering of HIGHER COST and ALLEGEDLY SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE filters that they sell. That is, they UPGRADE to what EVERY OTHER DOMESTIC FILTER MANUFACTURER USES and use composite (referred to as cardboard) end caps on their LOWEST offering and ONLY their lowest offering. Fram couldn't spell it out for you any clearer.

My statements were NOT against the use or the sensibility of composite end caps (if you re-read my text). It is a clarification WHY some appear to prefer filters that have metal end caps.

Metal end cap filter producers in spin-on filters
Champ (all non Ecore)
Wix (includes all name branded lines)
Purolator (all spin-on domestics under many labels)
Fram (all except their cheapest offering of the orange can)
what did I miss?
Donaldson (all that I'm aware of in spin-on filters)

What does the preponderance of the evidence suggest? That 5 out of 6 manufactures use metal end caps out of choice on the vast majority of the spin-on filters offered across the globe.

I didn't refute anything on saying plastic end caps are bad.

I am correcting you on the construction of the Mann filter I posted, which you mistakenly said it used a plastic end cap.

But the bottom line is, are Mann/Mahle filters that do not use a plastic nor a steel end cap inferior that my engine will die a horrible death?

Quote:
But the bottom line is, are Mann/Mahle filters that do not use a plastic nor a steel end cap inferior that my engine will die a horrible death?

LOL.gif
UG ..call it whatever you choose, pal. Composite ..polymer (a plastic) ...heck, potato ..pOtatO make it crashed newspaper if it works for you. It's your nickel and if Mann/Mahle gives you that GI Joe with the kungfu grip feeling ..by all means use it
54.gif

I really can't figure out what you're trying to say ..but by your nitpicking (which I really can't see where the nit is to pick) ..if this is some Euro-Alloy version of p'ing upwind with good elevation and distance ...I'll yield to the superior hoser
LOL.gif

Rock on, man!
thumbsup2.gif

Oh ...maybe you're talking of the sealed end pleat with center gasket
54.gif
It appears to work well ..as much as I see it as vulnerable. Sure ..whatever
21.gif

Oh ...maybe you're talking of the sealed end pleat with center gasket
54.gif
It appears to work well ..as much as I see it as vulnerable. Sure ..whatever
21.gif

That is exactly what I (and I'm assuming also milwaukee) are looking for. The OEM Toyota filter has no end cap, just a center ring gasket with the pleats floating freely around it. I would prefer a filter with a full end cap of any construction, metal or composite.

Well, our survey of those filters (so far) reveals that they're firmly bonded/glued where the pleats join.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
That is exactly what I (and I'm assuming also milwaukee) are looking for. The OEM Toyota filter has no end cap, just a center ring gasket with the pleats floating freely around it. I would prefer a filter with a full end cap of any construction, metal or composite.

Agreed, a full end cap would avoid this:

Wix Cartridge Filter from Toyota 3.5 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back