Toyota Camry with 5 speed - which tranny fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
110K miles on this 2002 Camry with 2.4L and 5 speed.

I am noticing that the shifts have become a bit different, I have to push the clutch a bit deeper to get a smooth shift.

The fluid has never been changed.

Which fluid should I use?

The type or condition of fluid will not make your clutch work different.

If the clutch is getting worn or needs some maintenance, NO fluid will help it.

With that said, IMO the best fluid I've used so far in my 05 Corolla has been the Amsoil fluid. Worst by a mile was Mobil 1 Gear and transmission fluid. Stay away from it.

Also check the fluid that your clutch master cyl uses. It may need to be changed.

Take care, Bill

PS: You'll need 75W-90 transmission fluid.

Ya, bleed your clutch's slave cylinder! As for the trans fluid - you'd probably benefit from one of the two fluids from Redline or Amsoil or a mixture.

E.g. - I run 2 qts of Redline MT-90 and 1 qt of MTL in my Mazda transaxle and it shifts great in all temps!

Last edited:
Thanks.

So is it master or slave cylinders or both?

I will refer to the shop manual to see where this clutch slave cylinder is located.

I understand it's the brake fluid that it uses? I checked the main brake fluid reservoir and it seemed full.

Yes if it is like my Corolla it uses the brake fluid for clutch system.

Your clutch may be getting worn and need replacement. Or the slave cyl is not throwing the clutch enough...

If you have not replaced the fluid in the transmission, do it but again, that would not fix a worn clutch.

Take care, Bill

Quote:
I understand it's the brake fluid that it uses? I checked the main brake fluid reservoir and it seemed full.

There should be a separate resevoir for the clutch, and yes DOT3 is the usual fluid.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

There should be a separate resevoir for the clutch, and yes DOT3 is the usual fluid.

Not on Toyotas. They share the Master brake cyl with the Clutch master. So the fluid is shared between them.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

Not on Toyotas. They share the Master brake cyl with the Clutch master. So the fluid is shared between them.

Bill

a few different ford's do as well.

There is usually a pedal height adjustment, and a freeplay adjustment for the clutch pedal.
Do these first.
Bad motor mounts will cause poor shifting, as an extra thing to check.
Then bleed the clutch hydraulic system.
A good aftermarket fluid is always a great idea.
Amsoil or Redline are two that work extrememly well for shifting and wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back