Toyota Camery sludge engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meeze, I own one of the Toyota Sludge Monsters. It's a 1998 Toyota Sienna van with the 3.0 V-6. Motor started sludging at 30,000 miles in spite of 3,000 mile oil changes. Was using dino oil, 5w-30 Havoline with occasional Pennzoil. Toyota Service Mgr. suggested I switch to Mobil 1 5w-30 with 5,000 OIC. I did this and the sludge slowly dissapated and have not had any sludging problem since and I now have 74,000 miles on the van. This motor tends to run hot and the synthetic seems to not break down and sludge-up the way conventional oil did. This is just my own personal experience and I'm not trying to start a synthetic versus dino war.

If this were Ford or GM people would be calling for the heads of management. People swore they would never buy American brands ever again over way smaller problems.

Does toyota get a free pass?

LT4 Vette - they designed it to run hotter to improve emissions and it had unintended consequenses, as they say. They are not the only ones, Chrysler, VW, Audi, and others.......

quote:

Originally posted by Rotaryphone:
2.2L 4 cyl and 3.0L V6.They are the last generations 4 and 6.

The post-1996 V6 engines designated 5VZ have experienced sludge problems. The 3.0L V6 designated 3VZ does not. (adding this so no 3VZ toyota owners experience undue anxiety.. about sludge, anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back