Toyota bZ4x: 4.4 hours (?!) to DC Fast Charge 0-100%

We'll see more data on this when the bZ4X actually hits the road.

EVs are a new technology with questionable reliability. Currently, there is a 10-year/150,000-mile battery warranty requirement on plug-in hybrids thanks to California but nothing on battery electric vehicles. Hopefully, this will change soon and a 10-year warranty on EV batteries will also be required. OEMs are fighting it hard, as a battery costs $20,000 or so, making the vehicle a total loss when the battery fails. I remember in the 1990s, junk yards were full of brand-new-looking Hyundai Excels because they were so unreliable and it was not worth fixing their drivetrains when they failed. Don't be surprised if the junk yards are full of Hyundai Ioniq 5's in a few years from now. Toyota has the right approach by being conservative with battery charging.

EVs are far from new technology, but those without a track record or have a poor track record so far should be considered questionable.

EVs are far from new technology, but those without a track record or have a poor track record so far should be considered questionable.
Sure, EVs are not new, but I think that is very misleading. 100 years ago there were no gas stations and only the very rich could own cars. Roads were for horses! Cars were hand made by a small group of people until Ford changed the game with the assembly line and interchangable parts.

I would say EVs are new as mass produced vehicles.

I could see that if the Toyota battery warranty (8 yr / 100,000 miles) was exceptional, but it’s actually worse than

Hyundai/Kia (10 years / 100,000 miles),
Rivian (8 years / 175,000 miles) and
Tesla (8 years / 150,000 miles)

and the same as GM, Porsche, BMW, etc.

If Toyota had something like a 250,000 mile battery warranty, that would be another story.
Tesla battery warranty is not 150K miles except on S and X. It is 120K for the rest.

Sure, EVs are not new, but I think that is very misleading. 100 years ago there were no gas stations and only the very rich could own cars. Roads were for horses! Cars were hand made by a small group of people until Ford changed the game with the assembly line and interchangable parts.

I would say EVs are new as mass produced vehicles.

Yes, but EVs predate gas cars. If it wasn't for Henry Ford finding a way for ICE cars to be cheaper electric would be all we know.

Back