Toyota and Dino Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
After going through all of the Auto-rx posts in the additives forum, I called the number on there website and asked them if I HAD to run a Dino oil after using there product. He (I assume Frank Miller??) said he would NEVER run a synthetic oil in a toyota. He said the oil gallies(spelling??) would clog easier using a synthetic oil. He said synthetics really add to the problem and he would only use a dino oil and auto-RX. Now obviously it sounds like he is pushing auto-rx, but could it be true that Dino's are best for Toyota engines? This contradicts 100% of what I hear, especially with there sludge problems. **This post could technically go into two forums, but I chose this one bc it is oil related. I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info. on this. It sounds very odd to me. As mentioned before in a previous post, i really don't need to use a flush, but was thinking of trying it for preventative maintainece. thanks

I emailed him to see if he could tell me what he meant by using dino in toyotas. He sent me this. It varies from what was send during our phone conversation. No mention of oil gallies here.

"Dino Oil flushes out third party abrasives much easier than synthetic
plus it is much better to repair seal leaks if necessary."

[ December 06, 2002, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster this is a fine place to post your topic,,,

Glad your posting again on the Forum here
cheers.gif

Cool, I wasn't sure so I put in this forum. Glad to be posting again. Only this time, no repetitive contraversial posts. (i'm good at that he he)
It made me skeptical of there product, although he must be just a dealer. I don't see how anyone coud suggest dino over synthetic. Dino is fine, but synthetic is superior in everyway as far as I know. There are still a few dino lovers out there that swear by it. The other day a friend of mine mentioned how he knows someone who said he will only use dino is his vette because the dino oil stays on the cylinder walls longer then synthetic, therefore more protection.

[ December 05, 2002, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The other day a friend of mine mentioned how he knows someone who said he will only use dino is his vette because the dino oil stays on the cylinder walls longer then synthetic, therefore more protection.

How people come up with these theories I just don't know.
shocked.gif
People have strong preconceived ideas-so in the real world I have totally sworn off of trying to give people information they don't want to hear. This forum is different because people come here with an honest questing attitude. They are actually looking for information.

You could probably not convince the guy with the Vette the merrits of syn oil if you stuffed his head in a container of it.

Frank is not a chemist (well, duh, Paul) and I suspect from some of the answers he gives me, he is an enthusiastic fellow - and jumps around a bit.

But if he really said those things, then he is simply not correct. Please do a search here for the exact question that I asked and posted on AutoRx and synthetic oil He had his consultant chemist give me a reasonable answer.

My anecdotal hearsay is that AutoRx does some good gentle cleaning but is over priced. On the other hand if the stuff frees up stuck rings, or frees and cleans sludge out of a nasty sludge motor - then it's a great bargain!! His is not the only ester based engine flush on the market however, despite his one patent. I don't completely buy into the seal theory - I think in the long term these seal "swellers" (my word, ok?) can be detrimental - Other companies have more and deeper patents in ester and engines.... I am NOT bad mouthing the product - this is simply my opinion - we should just keep our eyes and minds open to ALL the products out there.
patriot.gif

Yeah, i'm not out to bash anyone, but some people you really have to watch what they say. He seemed nice, but giving out bad information can be harmful. There are so many people/products out there that you really have to question. He wouldnt go into detail the second time around, which was an email follow up on explaining his answer for using dino. So whatever its' worth......

Buster as I remember you have been running a synlube for 75k of your 95k total miles so I imagine your motor is clean.

I am a " now" total beleiver a synlube will keep a motor cleaner over the course of time and miles. Yep a dino and 3k changes will allow abunch of miles to be racked up as well but dragboat is tired of the near constant oil changes around his house.He also has a new breed oil killing motor" Wifes Commuter " so a synlube has been chosen for it.
A friend with a 93 4wd Suburban had ran 5/30 dino until 90k or so,a year ago while at his house I looked into his oil filler and said man, what oil are you using! Do you ever change it! He does change regulary but a year later,actually just a couple weeks ago I was at his house giving him some 131 Nuetra and saw some empty jugs of Amsoil 10/40 and questioned where he got it,,long story short he bought a bunch and I think it was 3-4 intervals of 5-6k was ran with it,I looked in his V/C and it was markededly cleaner,just nite/day different for sure.If he had started with a synlube and extended drains he would have saved money and time over the years,,not a debate,all motors/owners do not need a synlube just something I have seen first hand, sunlube that cleaned a motor

Buster as I remember you have been running a synlube for 75k of your 95k total miles so I imagine your motor is clean.

I am a " now" total beleiver a synlube will keep a motor cleaner over the course of time and miles. Yep a dino and 3k changes will allow abunch of miles to be racked up as well but dragboat is tired of the near constant oil changes around his house.He also has a new breed oil killing motor" Wifes Commuter " so a synlube has been chosen for it.
A friend with a 93 4wd Suburban had ran 5/30 dino until 90k or so,a year ago while at his house I looked into his oil filler and said man, what oil are you using! Do you ever change it! He does change regulary but a year later,actually just a couple weeks ago I was at his house giving him some 131 Nuetra and saw some empty jugs of Amsoil 10/40 and questioned where he got it,,long story short he bought a bunch and I think it was 3-4 intervals of 5-6k was ran with it,I looked in his V/C and it was markededly cleaner,just nite/day different for sure.If he had started with a synlube and extended drains he would have saved money and time over the years,,not a debate,all motors/owners do not need a synlube just something I have seen first hand, synlube that cleaned a motor with no special instructions. Just driven
I do question his VI choice though
tongue.gif

[ December 06, 2002, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Your right, I shouldn't need it at all. There was a guy in the toyota forum who had 300k miles using M1 and he said his engine was like brand new. he went with 5k interval changes. I was just exploring the idea more then anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back