Toyota Air Filters

Saw the recent photos of air filters, decided to look the other weekend, the one in my '99 Camry looked a bit dirty so I ordered a no-name filter off Ebay. It's shown as a comparison in the photos.

I try to take good notes on maintenance but for some reason I don't have a note that I replaced the AF in my '99 Camry. So either it has 90k (assuming I replaced it when I bought it) or possibly well past it. Comparing with the wife's car, I'm guessing I never changed this, as I don't drive that much on dirt roads.

What I find interesting is that the backside of the filter is turning gray. I've changed a few air filters over the years, like a handful, but never really looked closely, just replaced on mileage.
99camryAF1.jpg

99camryAF2.jpg

I suspect I've been in once or twice, and that's why it has the smudges of black on the tops.
99camryAF3.jpg

I put in the no-name for now, will likely order up an OEM filter at some point. It's not like I'm driving all that much right now.

Now our '11 Camry did get a new AF at 120k, I know I put one in when I did plugs, so this one has like 105k on it. Mostly highway on this car, but it does see some dirt roads. Just not dry dusty ones.
11camryAF1.jpg

Backside is just turning gray. Might be more gray than mine, which I find odd.
11camryAF2.jpg

11camryAF3.jpg

I'm thinking it's about due.

Finally, the 10 Tundra. This filter is only 4 months old, with 788 miles on it, so of course it looks minty fresh.
10tundraAF1.jpg

10tundraAF2.jpg

What is that fuzzy crap on the Tundra filter? Looks like it's disintegrating.
Mice damage. More likely chipmunk damage, we have a few that nest next to our driveway.

That photo was tongue in cheek (no pun intended). I had noticed that damage a week ago, and got a no-name filter off Ebay, and installed that already (why buy good when it won't last?). I haven't lost an air filter so quickly as that. I moved my truck 40 or so feet away and it seems fine now, the vehicles parked similar distance away are fine, but this one spot where I want to park, nope no go.

If they nest in your vehicle...you're going to have problems.

I had a rat that decided to nest in the cowl area of my 2005 Volvo S-40 that I parked in front of my house and he almost destroyed my poor Volvo. I saw signs that he nibbled on the main wiring harness, but decided not to eat through it.

The attached photo was taken after I removed the windshield cowl and cleaned all of his nested leaves, twigs, etc., out of the fan area!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 160
What I find interesting is that the backside of the filter is turning gray. I've changed a few air filters over the years, like a handful, but never really looked closely, just replaced on mileage.
View attachment 54584
View attachment 54585

I suspect I've been in once or twice, and that's why it has the smudges of black on the tops.
View attachment 54586

I put in the no-name for now, will likely order up an OEM filter at some point. It's not like I'm driving all that much right now.

Now our '11 Camry did get a new AF at 120k, I know I put one in when I did plugs, so this one has like 105k on it. Mostly highway on this car, but it does see some dirt roads. Just not dry dusty ones.
View attachment 54587

Backside is just turning gray. Might be more gray than mine, which I find odd.
View attachment 54588
Turning "grey" on the clean side indicates the filter is pretty much saturated with debris, and past due for a new filter. Much more noticeable on pure white media.

Off topic but I had a squirrel chew through my abs harness on my 15 Tacoma. Bought a rid a rat a month ago that attaches to the battery. Just a flashing led light. We typically don’t have a bunch of squirrels.

I'd change them out sooner than that. It not hard so I peek at them every oil change (just so I remember). Keep on on the shelf for when the time comes.

They are only ~$15 each. not ridiculously expensive.

Last two "Denso" filters I purchased were both Made in the USA. The Denso was a RA purchase in 2012. The OEM Toyota was purchased from Lexus of Roseville last year.

20220423_191502_resized_cropped.jpg

The only difference is the OEM media is white, The Denso, pink.

FWIW, I recently bought a “Denso” AF from rock auto for my 4Runner. It was Made in China…no way OEM.

The AFs I buy from Toyota are made in Japan and higher quality.
So, the filters received from RA were the gold-boxed filters stating “Made in USA”.
I never had issues with the quality or fitment. I will continue to use these filters.
Thanks for the info.

(Side note: Of the 3 Corollas in my sig, the 2006 is Made here in the USA 🇺🇸, and the 1998 and the 1999 are made in Canada 🇨🇦.
Don’t know if that makes a difference.)

Last edited:
For the 2000 4 cylinder Camry that I maintain, the only Made in USA air filter I have ever seen was a Fram. I suspect that the SuperTech one is also made in USA, but unable to confirm since they were out of stock in the store so I got the Fram.

Can you detect any change in performance after replacing the filters? Before and after restriction data would be interesting.
It’s a Camry… so, no, I don’t notice things like that.

Its not like it sees WOT all that much.

Plus its been a year since I changed it…

Back