Toyota 90915-YZZG1 Made in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter off my 04 Tacoma with 5vz-FE. 5k OCI. It looked pretty good, no tears or wavy pleats. I wonder who makes these for Toyota. I know Denso is a supplier but this does not look like one of their filters

r5wF0HX.jpg

No, it's not built like the Toyota Denso filters made in Thailand. The one you show has metal end caps and a silicone ADBV. Might have Purolator DNA. Where was that filter purchased from?

I saw these at a dealership, but didn't need filters then. When I tried to find them later, only could find the Thailand. Need to see the baseplate to tell who makes them. Whats with these end caps debonding, that isn't so good. I would think oil under pressure would pass through unfiltered.

Correction to my last post, meant made in US Toyota oem. Not Denso, those are the First Time Fit (FTF) filters.

Little doubt for me this is Puro made.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I saw these at a dealership, but didn't need filters then. When I tried to find them later, only could find the Thailand. Need to see the baseplate to tell who makes them. Whats with these end caps debonding, that isn't so good. I would think oil under pressure would pass through unfiltered.

It was well built in my opinion. I pulled it off to look at the bypass spring.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
.... It was well built in my opinion. I pulled it off to look at the bypass spring.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Occasionally they fall off by themselves during a dissection. However as long as the leaf spring is holding the element and adbv as designed then it has no effect on function during use. But sometimes if they are forced off after opening the can the potting/glue can be damaged and it could appear to be a bypass issue when in reality it's not. I saw that in a recent Motorcraft dissection but no point in mentioning it as it had another issue. In your case it appears to have come off/apart cleanly.

And as comparison, on the Fram fiber endcap offerings, the bypass is also held in place by leaf spring pressure alone, and it's over a significantly less area of the endcap.

Thanks for the pics.

It is Puro.
Not as good as Thai Densos. Maybe one of the reasons why Toyota stopped sourcing these from Puro.

How would you possibly know? Have you ever seen published specs for Toyota filters?

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
It is Puro.
Not as good as Thai Densos. Maybe one of the reasons why Toyota stopped sourcing these from Puro.

Specs for what? Trapping clogging capacity? I do not care about those as the auto manufacturer does not.

'Stopped sourcing them from Puro?' Afaik this is a relatively new occurrence, and pretty sure it's the first dissected one posted on this board. Guess it will bear watching to confirm what's really the case. Might even check out at my local Yota parts dept.

As far as not being as good as the Thai Denso, based strictly on efficiency of 51%@20um, it wouldn't take much to equal that.

But bottom line on this anecdote, looks good, worked as designed and the OP is satisfied.

Oh well what do you care about that makes the Denso better?

Specs for what? Trapping clogging capacity? I do not care about those as the auto manufacturer does not.

It was a few years ago, probably 6-7, I saw these at the dealer, had them out in the parts dept shelves. They may not have them anymore, and I don't go to the dealer. I am not sure if it is Purolator or Champ made, need to see the baseplate to tell. I do remember the red valve and that it was USA made.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
'Stopped sourcing them from Puro?' Afaik this is a relatively new occurrence, and pretty sure it's the first dissected one posted on this board. Guess it will bear watching to confirm what's really the case. Might even check out at my local Yota parts dept.

As far as not being as good as the Thai Denso, based strictly on efficiency of 51%@20um, it wouldn't take much to equal that.

But bottom line on this anecdote, looks good, worked as designed and the OP is satisfied.

It probably holds more dirt at the expense of flow. Pleats do not look uniform.They are not straight.
The filter pictured here must be a NOS from a decade ago or older.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Oh well what do you care about that makes the Denso better?

More pleats that stay straight and uniform after at least 5000 miles. I am with manufacturer knows better school.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
To update it had a Purolator date code stamped on top of the can.

What is the date code? Maybe this is old stock, or new stuff ... the date code will tell the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back