Toyota 90915-YZZD1 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approximately 5,000 miles on the filter. First time using the filter cutter and bent the can a bit, which affected the media slightly (4th pic)

Pretty good filter for $4.85 apiece.

Sorry a couple are upside down ..:-(

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Love when these get posted on other forums.
Some people scream that there are no endcaps, they are junk, others explain that they are sealed with glue and Toyota knows what they are doing, most go "Oh, OK".
Post a pic of a OCOD, and all the "cardboard endcaps!" comments come out, someone tries to explain they are sealed with glue and a fiber material as strong as the fiber media, and they still yell they are garbage.

I only wish they would upgrade to Silicone ADV, otherwise a great filter (even with the nitirle ADV).

Originally Posted by blupupher
Some people scream that there are no endcaps, they are junk, others explain that they are sealed with glue and Toyota knows what they are doing, most go "Oh, OK".
Post a pic of a OCOD, and all the "cardboard endcaps!" comments come out, someone tries to explain they are sealed with glue and a fiber material as strong as the fiber media, and they still yell they are garbage.

It's amazing how many people don't understand oil filters, and how much misinformation is all over chat boards about oil filters.

I only wish they would upgrade to Silicone ADV, otherwise a great filter (even with the nitirle ADV).

These are the exact same filter element used in Toyota/Denso's cartridge filter.

Yeah ... Denso on my outboard looks like that. Used to change it once a year, now every 2 years since not that many hours (I still change oil yearly) ...

Looks like a typical Thai made Denso oem. Interesting to me read comments raving about how great they "look", with no mention of thier efficiency. Personally either way, I have no problem with the latter. That said, as long as all filters judged by same standard here, even those with a listed rated efficiency in same Denso data point efficiency range. Many/most of those also "look" good/great too. My .02

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Looks like a typical Thai made Denso oem. Interesting to me read comments raving about how great they "look", with no mention of thier efficiency. Personally either way, I have no problem with the latter. That said, as long as all filters judged by same standard here, even those with a listed rated efficiency in same Denso data point efficiency range. Many/most of those also "look" good/great too. My .02

Thanks for c&p.

Yeah, aren't they something like 60% @ 20 microns? Flow over filtration is what I have heard others say.

We always do get on how the look, but looks are only about 10% of what a filter is about (if even that much).

Yeah, aren't they something like 60% @ 20 microns? Flow over filtration is what I have heard others say.

The only numbers I have seen are from the 2011 Amsoil study, does anyone have more current data or another source?

Originally Posted by kr_bitog
Looks good for that thai filter, but seems the japan foam type flows better than the paper

Really? Where have you seen flow data for either one? Back in the day I used to run those funky foam filters on my Sienna, but besides being weird looking elements I never found anything that gave any sort of data on them. By what measure are you making that statement?

In fact, the reason I stopped using them is that once in -28F weather I got a pretty good startup knock with one. I went to the paper type and it didn't happen again.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

Thanks for c&p.

We always do get on how the look, but looks are only about 10% of what a filter is about (if even that much).

I thought that was what Jay Buckley had posted at one point commenting on OEM Honda and Toyota wanting filters built to a lower filtration spec than over the counter Fram filters. The 60% @ 20 microns...

Last edited:
Thanks cd8. That's what I have used for the last fifteen years for my 04 Camry V6. Very well made. Don't care what others say about efficiency. That is a good oil filter.

99% of the time there is no flow sacrifice for filtration. Flow isn't a concern with positive displacement oil pumps unless the filter is basically clogged (only happens from major lack of maintenance). When will people start understanding PD pump oiling systems?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

99% of the time there is no flow sacrifice for filtration. Flow isn't a concern with positive displacement oil pumps unless the filter is basically clogged (only happens from major lack of maintenance). When will people start understanding PD pump oiling systems?

I have no thoughts either way, just what I keep hearing. I have never used flow rate in determining what filter I use.
I have heard the same thing (all hearsay from what I can tell) that OEM's want flow over filtration also.

So basically your saying that even if the Ultra does "flow better" compared to filter x, it is a moot point since pretty much all filters with a PD pump system flow just fine?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I have no thoughts either way, just what I keep hearing. I have never used flow rate in determining what filter I use.
I have heard the same thing (all hearsay from what I can tell) that OEM's want flow over filtration also.

So basically your saying that even if the Ultra does "flow better" compared to filter x, it is a moot point since pretty much all filters with a PD pump system flow just fine?

Yes, correct. For everyday cars on the road any filter is going to flow the same as long as the PD oil pump in not in pressure relief (key phrase).

The only time a better flowing oil filter would make an oil flow difference to the engine is if you were racing near or at redline all the time with thick oil and a high flowing oil pump.

If Filter A made the PD oil pump hit pressure relief when Filter B didn't make the pump hit pressure relief, then Filter A is flowing more oil under that very rare operating condition. Driving around near or at redline with high viscosity or cold thick oil is not everyday activity. I highly doubt any car manufacturer like Toyota or Honda had that in mind when they were thinking "flow over filtration" when specifying oil filters for their fleet of passenger cars. That phrase "flow over filtration" is a misnomer 99+% of the time.

If I order an ISO particle count test from blackstone, will that show the efficiency of the Denso filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back