Toyota 75w-85 Synthetic Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if Redline says it's ok to blend their 2 gear oils. Also, are the redline gear oils API approved, or "for API Service"?

I am up for a gear oil change on wife's highlander AWD. It presently has Amsoil 80W90 and 30K miles on it.

I was debating the 75W110 (SVT) but then this thread threw my ideas into a spin.

Undecided to go SVG/SVT.

The 75w-90 is a GL-5 gear oil. I am going to assume Redline will not recommend "blending" any of their products. To get a definitive answer to this, call Dave over at RL. Very nice guy.

RL makes a very good gear oil. If you call Dave, ask some questions beyond the blending issue to get a grasp of what quality of product you will be using.When dealing with "boutique" oil companies you will find that many might not have a "certification" from the API or whomever, but this does not mean that the product is inferior. Sometimes it will be many times better than a "approved" offering. Just depends on the brand and product in question. Dave will know alot better than any of us BITOGers!

Last edited:
Pfft, I'm running RL 75-90 in a 18 year old Lexus diff with no issues whatsoever.

Toyota's called for 75-90 for a while now. I've haven't heard of this.

My 08 T4R takes 75w90 front diff (Mobil1) 75w90 Tcase (mobil1) and 80w90 rear diff (Amsoil 80w90).

The difference in CAFE will be .000087 mpg for their 75w85
smirk2.gif
WHat a joke.

exactly. and for $32/litere you have to be on drugs to buy this stuff. that's more than 3x's the cost of Mobil 1 or Synpower. F'k that yota.

An older thread but just my two bits.

I checked with a Toyota dealer around here -- $27/litre. Both my 4Runner and Tundra use this oil and it's getting around to the time that both diffs in both trucks need a service. The can (yes, can) said "Made in Japan." The Tundra takes seven to eight litres front/rear alone. I'm looking at $360+ just for diff oil for both trucks if I go the O.E. route.

Price, however, wasn't the deal-breaker. It comes in these cans like the old engine oil cans that you used to shove the spout into. It looked to be too much of a P.I.T.A. to transfer the stuff from the cans to something I could conveniently use (and that wouldn't take all afternoon) without intoducing lots of contamination.

Yeah, I know. I'm looking at a pail (Redline PN 50106) which would fill both Toyotas and my Ma's Grand Vitara. With the right pail pump, it should be easier than messing around with a pile of little bottles.

I use LE 1605 Duolec (SAE 110 GL5) in my 2000 Tundra, 2012 4Runner, 2004 S2000, and daughter's 2008 Avalanche rear diffs. I'm sure this would make CAFE fans choke, but it sure does run and protect well. I'll be posting a UOA soon for the Tundra.

I had to order a new 5 gallon pail last week, because I only have 2 qts left for the Tundra drain and fill. The Tundra takes 3.5 qts for a fill. $199/pail shipped if anyone is interested in the price.

I think Pablo's recommendation to use 75W110 SVT Amsoil is a good one too. I just wish there were some UOA's to help us evaluate it more.

The only good Redline UOA I've seen was with their HD Shockproof gear oil in a rear diff. The only RL 75W90 GL5 I've seen in a S2000 rear diff was unacceptable IMO.

If the trucks were out of warranty, it wouldn't be much of an issue. But I've had enough trouble with new-car dealers around here. The owner's manual calls for 75W85, GL-5 oil. One thing a service manager can't argue with is the owner's manual. Well, he or she can but will look pretty stupid in doing so.

I'm not aware of any Toyota dealership that actually uses 75W-85 gear oil when they service vehicles. Maybe you could ask them why not?

Way old thread. Just popping in to say that Honda's HGO-1 is also a 75W85, if a person wants to look that way.

Personally, Delo Synthetic 75W90 at $5.99/quart from Autozone is how I roll in my Ridgeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back