Toyota 5W20, 3431mi, 114k, '07 Camry 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first UOA, and my first DIY OC on my wife's 2007 Camry. It has the 2AZ-FE 2.4L slant 4.

Previous OCs were done at the dealership where I was told they use Toyota brand oil. They also put the Toyota oil part number on the invoice. The makeup oil was some extra TGMO 5W20 I purchased from the parts counter at the dealer.

I refilled with Castrol Magnatec 5W30 and toyota filter.

In the last 25k mile, I have noticed a significant increase in oil consumption. Typically 2+qts in 5k miles (to keep it a the "full" mark). There aren't any leaks on the ground, and I haven't noticed any blue puffs while idling. I've taken it to the dealer for the oil consumption test to see if it eligible for the recall Toyota has on the worn/stuck cylinder rings. I found out that the eligibility requirements for the recall is greater than 1-1.5qts in only 1000 miles!
I was wondering if the UOA would show anything that would point to worn/stuck rings, but it looks like nothing is jumping out even at this shorter OCI.
Some info I found suggested that a clogged PCV valve could lead to increased oil consumption due to blow-by. I checked the valve during while I was changing the oil. The PCV valve rattled when I shook it, but did look fairly dirty. I ordered a new PCV valve from Amazon, and will replace it soon.

Since I am doing my own OCs in my Tundra with the Castrol Magnatec 5W30, I decided to try and consolidate my oil weights and use the 5W30 in the Camry as well. I figured the heavier weight might help reduce the consumption. I am looking forward to see how the consumption is with the heavier weight and the semi-synthetic Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: 74Scout
The first UOA, and my first DIY OC on my wife's 2007 Camry. It has the 2AZ-FE 2.4L slant 4.
forward to see how the consumption is with the heavier weight and the semi-synthetic Magnatec.

I've got to chuckle at the slant 4. It's still an inline 4 but I am assuming from your name that you're an International guy and are familiar with their slants. I had a '61 International pickup with the slant 4 (literally half of a Ford 302 with half the block welded up from the factory.) For a distributor cap, I used one from a Bronco in a pinch and skipped every other lead and it worked fine for many more miles after that.

Back on topic. UOA looks great but my mother has the same year and model Camry and also go her oil change at the dealer and they noticed her repeatedly being low on oil and gave her a new cylinder head around the 60k mark. Personally I would move to a high mileage oil in 5w30 and see if it slows anything down, if Toyota isn't will to replace anything.

Great UOA. That TGMO 5W20 appears similar to MS5K 5w20.
whistle.gif

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Mobil5000.htm

In the last 25k mile, I have noticed a significant increase in oil consumption. Typically 2+qts in 5k miles (to keep it a the "full" mark). There aren't any leaks on the ground, and I haven't noticed any blue puffs while idling. I've taken it to the dealer for the oil consumption test to see if it eligible for the recall Toyota has on the worn/stuck cylinder rings. I found out that the eligibility requirements for the recall is greater than 1-1.5qts in only 1000 miles!

These engines are known for being oil burners. Try a high mileage oil.

Personally, what I would do is keep some of the used oil you drain during your oil changes and keep it for top ups in a jug. It sounds like you are going to continue to use a lot of oil until you get rid of this car.

being in a warm climate a 10-30 is a better choice for starters, + semi-syn's are a waste IMO! try pennzoil or mobil I extended performance, both group III mineral "synthetics" with the mobil said to use some of their PAO in the blend!

I went with the Magnatec as I can get it fit $15.45 before tax for 5 quarts from Amazon and already have it on the shelf for my Tundra.
I figure why not do the semi-syn delivered to my door for the same price I can get pain GTX from Walmart. Hard to beat those prices.

On my current Magnatec 5W30 fill, I have already noticed a significant decrease in consumption at only ~1.5qts over 6k mi. Still the same mix of driving style. City driving mixed with some 200-500 mile trips.

I just got the UOA on the Magnatec back, and will post it soon. After that drain I did a 600mile SeaFoam oil treatment, and that came out just as black as my 6k mile fill!

Why the recommendations for the 10w30? I thought the oil 101 mantra was basically "lower w# to help reduce startup wear".

Thanks for ya'lls input. Keep it coming.

I went with the Magnatec as I can get it fit $15.45 before tax for 5 quarts from Amazon and already have it on the shelf for my Tundra.
I figure why not do the semi-syn delivered to my door for the same price I can get pain GTX from Walmart. Hard to beat those prices.

On my current Magnatec 5W30 fill, I have already noticed a significant decrease in consumption at only ~1.5qts over 6k mi. Still the same mix of driving style. City driving mixed with some 200-500 mile trips.

I just got the UOA on the Magnatec back, and will post it soon. After that drain I did a 600mile SeaFoam oil treatment, and that came out just as black as my 6k mile fill!

Why the recommendations for the 10w30? I thought the oil 101 mantra was basically "lower w# to help reduce startup wear".

Thanks for ya'lls input. Keep it coming.
Oil 101 is not what you would read and call your self informed on motor oil. It is pretty much a joke.

Originally Posted By: timeau
What was your OCI before you noticed that significant oil consumption?

The OCI is 5k miles. I took over the maintenance back when the Camry had about 50k miles, and it had about 35k on when my wife bought it. The most of the service records show the PO was following the standard 5k OCI.

Around 70k, I did notice that it was starting to use some oil, and sometimes would be 1/2 to 1 qt below full near the end 5k OCI. But it didn't seem consistent, so I was figuring that the dealer/shop wasn't putting in enough to sometimes bring it all the way up to full.

[/quote]Oil 101 is not what you would read and call your self informed on motor oil. It is pretty much a joke.[/quote]

OK. So what other resources besides the "Motor Oil University" do you recommend?

Originally Posted By: jayg
... I had a '61 International pickup with the slant 4 (literally half of a Ford 302 with half the block welded up from the factory.) ...
Maybe that was half a Ford 292? There was no Ford 302 that early. Smaller versions of the same basic design came out circa '63.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: jayg
... I had a '61 International pickup with the slant 4 (literally half of a Ford 302 with half the block welded up from the factory.) ...
Maybe that was half a Ford 292? There was no Ford 302 that early. Smaller versions of the same basic design came out circa '63.

Sure. It was a 2.5 slant 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back