Toyota 5W/30, 4863 miles, 2011 Tacoma V6 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the first results from my Tacoma. A bit concerned abut the copper number even though it says I shouldn't be...what does everyone here think?

Code:
Comments from Blackstone: Everything looks normal for an engine with less

than 15,000 miles on the odometer in this first sample from your Tacoma.

Universal averages show typical wear for Toyota's 4.0L V6 after about 5,400

miles on the oil. You ran just 4,863 miles, and the extra copper is from

wear-in of brass/bronze parts, while silicon is from harmless silicone

sealers that are still washing out of the block. The viscosity was a touch low

but that's not an issue. The TBN was 2.6, plenty of active additive remaining

in the oil. A TBN is too low at 1.0. Try 5,500 miles next and then check back.

OIL Toyota 5W/30

MILES IN USE 4,863

MILES 14,882

SAMPLE TAKEN 10/05/12

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 13

COPPER 76

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 6

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 28

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 2

SILICON 37

SODIUM 324

CALCIUM 1753

MAGNESIUM 9

PHOSPHORUS 675

ZINC 767

BARIUM 1

SUS VIS 210ºF 53.2

cSt @ 212ºF 8.25

INSOLUBLES 0.2

FLASHPOINT ºF 390

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

TBN 2.6

--
Keith
Erie, CO

Thanks for Posting the UOA.

IMO....Since the wear metals will still be clearing out of the engine, I'd do multiple Oil and Filter changes, with Dino, up to the 20K mark. Every 3K would be good.

Then run syntetic, synthetic blend or even conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Thanks for posting your report. I have a 2012 4Runner with the 1GR-FE V-6.

Thanks for linking your report. Our tests were done at virtually the same time, and indeed my engine is also a 1GR-FE. One difference is that through this oil I was still running the Toyota 5W30 and I see you are running a 0W/20 synthetic which would probably decrease start-up wear.

One thing I am slightly worried about is that my copper number is so much higher. I drive my truck very gently, and I am wondering if maybe it didn't get a good break-in. I guess only future UOA will tell for sure if the number decreases.

It seems like the experts here all tell me things look normal though, so I won't loose any sleep over it. Thanks for everyone's comments.

--
Keith
Erie, CO

Exactly which oil are you using? This looks like a 5W20 and not 5W30. The titanium add pack is interesting. I've heard through the grapevine that the 0W20 may have gone to this add pack too. But I can't confirm yet.

Numbers don't look bad since you are gradually rolling out of the break in period. Why not pull a sample and send it in around this mileage on your new oil for comparison and you should see a sizable reduction in Cu and Si and decide whether you're starting to develop the trend you're looking for and whether you want to change the oil or leave it in for a few more miles?

Another note, you should have no problem running a good 5w20 in this engine and it should be the recommended grade unless Toyota changed back. I've linked my last UOA on my 1GR-FE in my 2007 4Runner which was with 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum and the wear metals dropped slightly from the previous UOA that had Mobil 1 5w30 in it even though the run on 5w20 was considerably tougher and about 10% longer. Looking at the numbers I do think you had an Xw20 oil in there, not a 5w30. If you know absolutely sure it was a 5w30 I'd avoid that oil and use something else as there's no way it should shear down that much unless something were seriously wrong.

Another question: Was the oil filter changed for that run?

2007 4Runner 1GR-FE UOA

UOAs are generally worthless until break-in is completed and you flush out the residuals, unless you immediately suspect something is wrong with the engine and need to verify for a warranty claim (seeking info for coolant ingress, fuel dilution, etc).

That being said, I agree with the short OCI, multiple flush ideas. It will get you to a point where UOAs are meaningful much sooner.

As for the Cu, I'm not familar with this vehicle specifically, but does it have a Cu oil cooler or one that is brazed with Cu alloy? I suspect that you've done at least a couple OCIs and the Cu was probably even higher before now, but you probably were not aware of it. REally high Cu typically isn't common from bearings on new vehicles; usually from other sources. Do some quick flushes; allow it to settle. No reason to panic at this point.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all of your comments. 5W/30 is what Toyota recommends for the 2011 Tacoma with the 1GR-FE. The first 25,000 miles of maintenance is all covered by Toyota so I have had oil changes done by them at 5, 10, and 15 thousand miles. They claim that the oil they use is a Toyota branded 5W/30, and they told me that it was actually a major brand name, but I don't recall what brand they said.

At this change I did switch to Mobil 1 5W/30, so the next UOA will be interesting to see if it shows big differences.

Anyway, thanks again...really cool to get a number of responses!
--
Keith
Erie, CO

Originally Posted By: IslePilot
Thanks to everyone for all of your comments. 5W/30 is what Toyota recommends for the 2011 Tacoma with the 1GR-FE. The first 25,000 miles of maintenance is all covered by Toyota so I have had oil changes done by them at 5, 10, and 15 thousand miles. They claim that the oil they use is a Toyota branded 5W/30, and they told me that it was actually a major brand name, but I don't recall what brand they said.

At this change I did switch to Mobil 1 5W/30, so the next UOA will be interesting to see if it shows big differences.

Anyway, thanks again...really cool to get a number of responses!
--
Keith
Erie, CO

That's interesting that Toyota published a TSB in 2006 (TSB EG018-06 viewable HERE ) that states:

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20
This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for
the U.S. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold
starting performance.

Applicable to:

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20
AZ series
GR series
JZ series
MZ series
NZ series
RZ series
UZ series
VZ series
1ZZ–FE
2TR–FE

That's interesting that Toyota didn't make this a permanent change with the 5th generation 4Runner. The only functional change I'm aware of between our versions of the 1GR-FE engine is the addition of VVT-i on the exhaust cam with the newer motors.

At any rate I am still slightly skeptical that what your dealership filled your engine with the last time was actually 5W/30. Those vis numbers look a lot more like a 20-weight oil. Even my shear-o-matic Civic Si, spinning at 3000 RPM at 68 MPH in 6th gear and happily going above 8000 RPM generally "only" shears PP 5W/30 in to the 8.4-8.7cSt @ 100C range after 8000-9000 miles, not that the vis seemed to be causing any kind of problem for your 4Runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back