Toyota 4afe 1.6liter motor mount questions+clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know a lot about this engine? I would like to replace the motor/transmission mounts on my 97 corolla. Has the WORST clutch shudder ever, it feels like brutal wheel hop, and I want to replace the mounts first.

I would like to know how many there are, and where are they located? Easy to change? Special procedures?

Thanks!

PS any clutch recommendations? I see a lot of exedy sets for cheap.

New flywheel? Or resurface?

Last edited:
If upgrades mounts are available, get them. If stiffening inserts are available, try them [simply insert into the original mount cavities].
Go to the VW forums and see what they say about wheel hop and what's best clutches.
I know there is a mount upgrade for newer ones.

mechtech... the title says for a toyota motor! :)
It doesnt actually wheel hop, but the clutch shudder is so bad, thats just what it feels like.

Esp. when letting clutch pedal out slowly and giving it just a LITTLE gas. Dont really want stiffer mounts.

I just changed the mounts on my 97 Corolla. I have the 1.6 like you but I have an automatic. The automatic has 4 mounts and I believe the manual has 4 as well. The passenger, driver, and front side mounts are easy to change. The rear mount is horrible to get out and is one of the most poorly designed things I've seen. You're best off leaving it to someone with a lift. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like know.

Brian, would that rear mount be much easier with the trans out? I am planning on doing the clutch at the same time.

The other 3 are just basic unbolt and bolt back on? Did you support the motor in some way when changing?

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
Brian, would that rear mount be much easier with the trans out? I am planning on doing the clutch at the same time.

The other 3 are just basic unbolt and bolt back on? Did you support the motor in some way when changing?
I'm not sure how exactly the engine and trans are situated with the manual so I can't comment on it. On the automatic the rear mount is wedged between the transmission, firewall, and rack.

The other three mounts are rather easy. I supported the engine by jacking the oil pan up with a block of wood between oil pan and the jack(manual says to do it and I was skeptical but it didn't bend). With the jack and the other three mounts holding the engine you should be fine changing the three out. As for their locations, on my car the driver's side mount is under the air box. The passenger side mount is in plane view. The front mount is right in front of the fan and it will come out pretty easily with the fan out of the way. You might also wanna remove the windshield washer reservoir when changing the passenger side mount. Those three are pretty simple and all you need is a few hand tools.

Last edited:
Brian, thanks for the help

Mechtech, I used to have a golf.. sold it, but regret it! It was built 100 times better, but less reliable... only germans can make a WELL built car thats not super reliable LOL

I bet your clutch disk/pressureplate friction material is totally glazed over, as is the flywheel. I have the same problem with my Corolla and I did get new motor mounts, and it didn't help.

These cars don't have much power, so the clutches will last a long time (not much slippage), but like any other clutch assembly, the friction material can get glazed over from heat, and it creates the ridiculous chatter, especially when the vehicle is cold.

I've learned to just basically let the clutch out without hardly giving it any gas, to minimize the shudder.

Every clutch disc that I have seen is glazed - what else would it look like?
Maybe oil on the disc is a problem - it would chatter and grab.
Engine oil from the rear seal would do this -m maybe a trans input seal.
But dive in and check the mounts first.

Drew, mine seems like its worst when warm... and letting the clutch out with just a little gas, sometimes the shudder is so bad its like going over huge potholes, violent brutal wheel hop feeling. I know the motor mounts are too since the engine lurches sometimes upon accel. Ive been doing a drag race style kind of "launch" from a red light, just kick up the rpms a bit and slip it for just a second or two until its engaged good. I do this to eliminate the shudder, which I fear can harm something else.

Mech, i ordered a new clutch kit with NEW oem flywheel, and all four motor mounts. I think Ill try the mounts first to see what happens but the shudder is so bad, it feels like something else... If I slip the [censored] outta the clutch, it works better for awhile. I heard the flywheel can get bad spots too.

Definetly gonna check for oil leaks on the clutch if I do it....

Brian, what did you torque all the motor mount bolts to, how many ft/lbs?

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
Just got the cluch today... no torque instructions!
Go on Autozones website. They have the repair manual for your car but you will have to sign up to get access. It should have all the torque specs listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back