Toyota 3.5L V6 Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes owning a domestic look even better now. This is nothing new for Toyota to have a bad design. Rav 4 requires engine removal to change the clutch. I prefer working on a domestic (in general) to an Asian import. They seem to be better engineered. The Japanese seem to have better quality control and that is the only thing going for them.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Thanks for posting this. This makes my next minivan choice much easier.....definately Honda.

But then again you'll live in constant fear of the AT imploding and having to replace the PS pump at 15K. (yes our Ody PS pump died at 15K) Buuuuwaaaahahahhahaha..........

Well, since no manufacturer has yet to make the perfect motor vehicle, I suppose it all comes down to picking one's poison.

I do disagree with those here (and at TN where Mike posted a parallel thread) who characterize this as needless speculative worry mongering. I want to know all about a car's potential strengths and weaknesses before I decide to buy it. Knowing that there's a possible expensive problem with one choice is something I'd want to know before I chose a car. I might still choose a 2GR powered car (in fact, we own one now, we love it, and we're keeping it) when it is weighed against the strengths and weaknesses of the competing choices.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: kelpie
Makes owning a domestic look even better now. This is nothing new for Toyota to have a bad design. Rav 4 requires engine removal to change the clutch. I prefer working on a domestic (in general) to an Asian import. They seem to be better engineered. The Japanese seem to have better quality control and that is the only thing going for them.

Yeah! and you think that domestic big 3 aren't run (down) by beancounters??! Lemme see: delco-remy alternators that need frequent replacements; waterpumps on some Ford/most Chrysler vehicles need frequent replacements; all the nagging electrical problems with Dodge series of pickup trucks, emission components fail shortly after the related warranty expires in a caravan, etc.

Oh yeah! and the list goes on and on... (and I still driving a Japanese assembled Honda and a Camry that just won't go away)...

LOL!@

Originally Posted By: Quest

Yeah! and you think that domestic big 3 aren't run (down) by beancounters??! Lemme see: delco-remy alternators that need frequent replacements; waterpumps on some Ford/most Chrysler vehicles need frequent replacements; all the nagging electrical problems with Dodge series of pickup trucks, emission components fail shortly after the related warranty expires in a caravan,
etc.

I help my neigbor replace an alternator on 2002 Honda Accord with 40k, the original one was made by Delco.

Oh yeah! and the list goes on and on... (and I still driving a Japanese assembled Honda and a Camry that just won't go away)...

LOL!@

Originally Posted By: Quest

Yeah! and you think that domestic big 3 aren't run (down) by beancounters??! Lemme see: delco-remy alternators that need frequent replacements; waterpumps on some Ford/most Chrysler vehicles need frequent replacements; all the nagging electrical problems with Dodge series of pickup trucks, emission components fail shortly after the related warranty expires in a caravan, etc.

LOL!@

Ok, but that one job (for the water pump on the Toyota) will cost more than the other things you mentioned combined.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I'll take my $800 timing belt, water pump and drive belt replacement on a Honda 3.5 any day over this ridiculous design.

Ford's 3.5L V6 (found in the Edge) uses this design as well, according to bdcardinal.

Mike:

Which one does Ford use, the Toyota or Honda style design?

Sorry for not making that more clear. The Toyota one.
frown.gif

Do you have a similar link for the Ford where it states this?

i was reading about it at work (ford service dept). the workshop manual states to remove the engine to replace the water pump, on certain applications. im sure that techs will figure out how to go around it. our techs seem to find ways around all the jobs, especially recalls.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drewjp
I think Toyota's undergone what Apple did in the 80s - let bean-counters run the company and leave the user experience on the back-burner...It almost killed Apple

During the mid '80s through the mid '90's, I did IT consulting work for Apple, up at it's headquarters in Cupertino, Ca.

Sorry but you got it wrong friend...what made Apple great was in fact the user experience, and mostly high quality, great design and build....what nearly killed Apple was their too high pricing, their going for $$ more then market share....they won the 'idealogical war' for their graphical interface, but the IBM clones won the 'financial' war for their much lower pricing.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
i was reading about it at work (ford service dept). the workshop manual states to remove the engine to replace the water pump, on certain applications. im sure that techs will figure out how to go around it. our techs seem to find ways around all the jobs, especially recalls.

Yep, techs will find short cuts. I've done clutch jobs without removing transmissions. Split and Vtilt baby. Quick balljoint removal without tearing apart the suspension.......

I also believe that Toyota Pink coolant is the 'cats meow' of antifreeze.
But, if you own one of these 3.5 V6, do feel free to refresh the antifreeze.
Unless its a defect, the WP should last forever. And, a defect will usually fail under warranty so Toy will foot the bill.

Another reason to adapt a more aggressive maintenance interval in a cooling system that basically requires none!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back