Toyota 3.4L 1, 774 miles w/ Schaffers 5w30 and oilguard bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the results for a Toyota 4runner 2001 w/39,000 on the clock , about 5 months all around town driving running an oilguard eps-20 bypass filter and Schaffer's 5w30 blend. It seems that the oilguard bypass filter did not perform all that well and I am thinking about switching over to a tp style filter.Also added lubecontrol at 5oz. at time of change and 1oz. evey 1k.

ALUMINUM.. 2 ... 3
CHROMIUM..0 ... 0
IRON..4 ... 7
COPPER..8 ... 6
LEAD..2 ... 4
TIN..1 ... 1
MOLYBDENUM..69 ... 85
NICKEL..0 ... 0
MAGANESE..0 ... 0
SILVER..0 ... 0
TITANIUM..0 ... 0
POTASSIUM..11 ... 1
BORON..2 ... 57
SILICON..8 ... 12
SODIUM..2 ... 6
CALCIUM..1393 ... 2373
MAGNESIUM..7 ... 172
PHOSPHORUS..649... 797
ZINC..748 ... 947
BARIUM..0 ... 0

VISC..54.1 ... 56-63
FLASHPOINT..350 ... 365
FUEL..0.8 ... ANTIFREEZE ..0.0 ... 0
WATER..0.0 ... INSOLUBLES..0.3 ...
Seems like for so few miles numbers should have been better, also averages were based on 5,683 k , my sample only had 1,774 k on it. Any input would be helpful.

I don't see how you could draw any conclusion from so few miles. It looks great to me at this point but a 7000 mile UOA will tell you lots more about what is going on.

The numbers seem fine but from what both I and the rep. at blackstone came up with is that the oilguard bypass really did not affect the numbers in a positive way. I think that a tp bypass filter would have performed better. I am going to purchase a Motor guard from Ralph and try to sell off the oilguard.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
You need to get a particle count to see if the bypass filter is making a difference.

I agree completely with this. Both because you don't have particle counts and because of the short interval, you're just jumping to conclusions. The OG may or may not be performing as advertised. The PCs will tell you. Blackstone offers particle counts as an optional test; it's a bit pricey, but worth it (at least to me) if done on an occasional basis.

Run a real OCI with the OG off the engine, then run another with it installed. Order a PC UOA each time. That will give you a pretty good idea of whether or not the OG is working. FWIW (little here), I have been surprised at how low my PCs were, with no bypass at all. I do use M1 filters with GC, so perhaps Mobil's bragging about fine filtration has some substance to it.

Thanks for the replies, you're probably right about the lack of miles and without a particle count there is no way of knowing for sure. From what I have read on this board it seems that with the low cost of replacement tp and the finer filtration that the tp filters offer it would seem to be a better choice for my needs. Also since I use this truck for around town driving, the more frequent tp changes should keep the additives up better than the oilguard.Thanks again for the feed back

I am not sure that toilet paper filters are finer filters. There are no submicron filters. Oil labs can not measure particles that small, and true submicron filters would remove some of the additive in the oil. You really need to run many more miles.

What do you want from your oil and filter? The Schaeffer's oil will be good for at least 10,000 miles without a bypass filter, except maybe won't get warm enough in winter if you only make short, cool trips. A bypass filter only really pays off for folks that put many, many miles on an engine.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back