Toyota 3.4 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried searching UOA'a and became very frustrated. I came up with pages and pages of Prius UOA's and I even tried excluding "prius" from the search to no avail.

Anyway.

New to me 2000 Toyota 4runner. 3.4L 5spd manual 4x4.

It has 77k on it. I'm doing ARX right now and plan to switch to a synthetic when done.

What are people running in this engine and for how long? Also factory size oil filters are really small, any up sized filters available?

Thanks

I use maxlife syn blend 5w30 or PP 5w30 with the factory filter in my wifes 3.3L V6. Both run fine. If you shop on the net you can get factory filters for about $3 to $4 each in case lots of 12. I run a 5000 mile OCI.

The search is finicky, you can't search on short words like 'V6' or '3.4'. Also I haven't had any luck with the excluding terms minus sign. I've had the best luck with the + plus sign. Try in the search box: +toyota +4runner or +toyota +tacoma .

I've owned my Tacoma with the same engine for about 3 years now. It doesn't seem to be too fussy about oil. I only drive it 8-10k miles a year and change the oil every 4-6 months. Usually whatever 5w30 I have on hand. I suspect it would do fine on anything from 5w20 to 10w40.

The oversized Motorcraft FL400s filter works well for me. Good luck with your new Toyota!

I used to run Schaeffer's 10-30 in my 3.4 Tacoma for 7K intervals.

Search for my User ID, I might have posted a result or two. Another who used to post UOAs for 3.4s was "Scooby". Back around 02-03 when several of us were discussing 3.4 oil strategy it was suggested that this engine sheared oil. For that reason I chose Schaeffers 10-30 with it's high HT/HS.

The Motorcraft FL4000 mentioned earlier is 1.4 inches longer than stock. Hastings LF134 and Purolator 20194 and 20195 show as the same filter in the cross references.

Originally Posted By: Huhwhye
I tried searching UOA'a and became very frustrated. I came up with pages and pages of Prius UOA's and I even tried excluding "prius" from the search to no avail.

Anyway.

New to me 2000 Toyota 4runner. 3.4L 5spd manual 4x4.

It has 77k on it. I'm doing ARX right now and plan to switch to a synthetic when done.

What are people running in this engine and for how long? Also factory size oil filters are really small, any up sized filters available?

Thanks

I have the same engine in my 02 Tundra. I have run Royal Purple 5w-30 6k OCI before with no problem. I have always used RP until now. I have Valvoline Syn 5w-30 in there now but I only have about 800 miles on it. I know of a motorcraft filter that has the same O-Ring gasket size but I have never tried one. I have always used the OEM Toyota filters.

Here are 6 UOA's on my 2000 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

http://www.sharpcs.com/personalphotos/OA/Toyota_oil_anaylsis_6.jpg

The oldest 2 are M1 5W-30, middle 2 are German Castrol 0w-30, and the latest 2 are Mobil 1 M1R 0W-30.

I'll have a 7500 mile run of Schaeffers 5W-30 shortly.

My 4Runner is also a 5 speed. Sort of rare, only 5% made that year with manual transmissions. Does yours have the electric locker in the rear? Mine does and what great thing that is.

I hated the size and position of the factory oil filter so I put a remote on mine to use a large Ford style filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsharp
Here are 6 UOA's on my 2000 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

http://www.sharpcs.com/personalphotos/OA/Toyota_oil_anaylsis_6.jpg

The oldest 2 are M1 5W-30, middle 2 are German Castrol 0w-30, and the latest 2 are Mobil 1 M1R 0W-30.

I'll have a 7500 mile run of Schaeffers 5W-30 shortly.

My 4Runner is also a 5 speed. Sort of rare, only 5% made that year with manual transmissions. Does yours have the electric locker in the rear? Mine does and what great thing that is.

I hated the size and position of the factory oil filter so I put a remote on mine to use a large Ford style filter.

Wow, your iron was high all through. You did run your oil longer than I ran mine tho. Here is the link to mine using RP 5w-30.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=976437&fpart=1

Scroll down to the 3rd post where Bill fixed it. The UOAs are on the right.

Not high. Don't just look at the numbers, look at them vs. the mileage.

Compare the iron of the last run of mine to yours -

Yours 4/2.940K miles = 1.36 per 1K miles
Mine 11/10.423K miles = 1.05 per 1K miles

Iron seems to track with the time the oil is in the engine and around here with time of year. It's measurably higher after an Illinois winter. Notice the sample dates on mine. The runs through winter are certainly worse.

One other thing, your insolubles are up. Higher than mine with 1/3 the mileage. A better filter might be in order although your fuel dilution may be a contributor. I'm sure it's a factor in why your RP thinned so much.

I think we're splitting hairs though. These engines just don't wear much. Any good oil will allow 7K changes and better oils can go 10K without problems.

Last edited:
Grrrr... Ran out of edit time again.

Do the same ppm/vs mileage calclation with lead. Yours is running about 3X what I'm seeing.

But again, I think we're splititng hairs. None of thses UOA's are *bad* by any stretch of the imagination.

And I don't think it's a great idea to try to compare one engine to another with UOA's. Simple differences in driving conditions could well swamp any of these UOA differences...

If you are still looking for UOAs, look for the users Scooter, 2003TRD, and Dave89144. You can also search for Tacoma 3.4V6 (no spaces). Those should get you the majority of the posts on this engine.

Incidentally, I noticed jsharp was in a lot of those discussions, so he isn't new to this engine.

Originally Posted By: jsharp
Grrrr... Ran out of edit time again.

Do the same ppm/vs mileage calclation with lead. Yours is running about 3X what I'm seeing.

But again, I think we're splititng hairs. None of thses UOA's are *bad* by any stretch of the imagination.

And I don't think it's a great idea to try to compare one engine to another with UOA's. Simple differences in driving conditions could well swamp any of these UOA differences...

I do agree with you some. We are looking at Parts Per Million here, it's like a needle in a hay stack. One poster on here had 30k on one OCI using Amsoil and his numbers were going higher and higher. When you look at the mileage on the oil compared to the PPM conversions, they look good. The way I look at it is, the higher the PPM numbers are, no matter what the mileage is on the oil, the more wear going on inside your engine. People, not you, brag all the time on there about how many miles they squeezed out of their OCI using an oil when their UOAs look horrible when you just look at the numbers (ppm) only. I look at it like this, an engine can cost from $1,000 - over 8K depending on the type and size. I may be off on the price, because I'm more "old school" because I have worked on and built more of the older engines (Chevy 350, 454, etc) than the newer ones. If the UAs for an engine for lets say, copper, is 14ppm for an OCI of 4K and an engine has 15K on an OCI but has 35ppm, that tells me there is more wear in the engine using an OCI of 15K than using a 4K UOA. IMO, I’d rather do the shorter OCIs and save wear on my expensive engine than being able to run around on this forum bragging that I squeezed 15K out of my oil when in reality you are ruining your engine. Now that is fore people that plan on keeping their car until the wheels fall off. If you lease the car or trade it in every 3 years, then who cares, do 30K OCIs using ST dino. Its like I tell people, for the love of [censored], just change your oil already.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tackleberry625
The way I look at it is, the higher the PPM numbers are, no matter what the mileage is on the oil, the more wear going on inside your engine.

You think wear stops when you change the oil?

If the UAs for an engine for lets say, copper, is 14ppm for an OCI of 4K and an engine has 15K on an OCI but has 35ppm, that tells me there is more wear in the engine using an OCI of 15K than using a 4K UOA.

You think 14ppm every 4k miles is better than 35ppm every 15k miles? Could you please explain that to me?

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
The way I look at it is, the higher the PPM numbers are, no matter what the mileage is on the oil, the more wear going on inside your engine.

You think wear stops when you change the oil?

If the UAs for an engine for lets say, copper, is 14ppm for an OCI of 4K and an engine has 15K on an OCI but has 35ppm, that tells me there is more wear in the engine using an OCI of 15K than using a 4K UOA.

You think 14ppm every 4k miles is better than 35ppm every 15k miles? Could you please explain that to me?

Wear won't stop per say but it will slow down. As an oil breaks down and protects less, it will cause more wear than an engine with fresh oil. The fresh oil will protect far better than the oil that has been run an extended OCI.

Maybe the numbers I used for excamples were not the best. All I'm saying is most of the time it is better to go ahead and change your oil then to try and see how far you can push an oil until it gets to it's breaking point. Also, I was talking about the Universal Averages not the actual PPM numbers any engine put out. If the UAs on an engine is 14ppm and it only put out 6ppm in a 4k OCI and someone streched the OCI to 25K and the engine spit out 35ppm then the engine is wearing faster. I don't know if I am explaining it properly but I hope you know the point that I'm trying to make.

The Universal Averages published by Blackstone are meaningless at best.

And 6ppm in 4k is equal to 35ppm in 25k. The engine with the extended oil change isn't "wearing faster", they are wearing at the same rate. It is simple math.
21.gif

Take your 4k oil changes and do six of them to get out to 25k miles. If all six have 6ppm wear, how is that less than 35ppm?

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
The Universal Averages published by Blackstone are meaningless at best.

And 6ppm in 4k is equal to 35ppm in 25k. The engine with the extended oil change isn't "wearing faster", they are wearing at the same rate. It is simple math.
21.gif

Take your 4k oil changes and do six of them to get out to 25k miles. If all six have 6ppm wear, how is that less than 35ppm?

You have to look at the hole picture not just the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back