Toyota 2ZZ-GE intake cam wear - bad oil or bad filter?

Ha! That's what I've been trying to figure out. Based on my experience, no contemporary 5W-30 oils are up to the task. Most informed opinions seem to fall into 3 categories:

1) euro spec 0W-40
2) Diesel full synth, typically 5W-40 (Rotella T6)
3) 5W-30 with ZDDP additives

This only applies if you drive the car hard, i.e. engage "lift" and rev past 6,400RPM to redline. For normal driving, 5W30 is fine.

Sound like you have sweet ride in your garage! Pics please!
I wonder if Mobil 1 5w30 ESP would be good since it falls on the higher end of viscosity for a 5w30?

I wonder if Mobil 1 5w30 ESP would be good since it falls on the higher end of viscosity for a 5w30?
Depends on the area I guess. But in my area it is very hard to find any of the Mobil 1 ESP offerings. Possible, but very hard. While Mobil1 0W40 FS is at every Auto Parts store and every Wal-Mart. Falls on the lower end of 40-grade, and becomes a "thick" 30-grade pretty quick. Stays at 30 for a long time though, which is why it's a good option for those who go with extended OCIs. But that's a story for another thread.
I'll go ahead an say that Mobil 1 0W40 FS is the highest performing widely available motor oil. Any of the oils that are "better" usually spend couple days in shipping, due to being boutique oils. Yet M1 0W40 is on most store shelves, as mentioned earlier.