Toyota 2azfe 2.4L 4 cyl just added piston oil sprayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

i

Does anyone have any idea why Toyota just added for the '07 model year piston oil sprayers to the 2AZFE (Camry and Scion tC 2.4L 4cyl engine)?

What problem has the engine been having that they are trying to solve?

Is if for lubrication, cooling, or both?

Does anyone know of any issues with this motor other than the spun #1 cyl bearing issue that has been cropping up -- which I can't see adding piston sprayers would help?

Also, where are these sprayers, and what exactly are they spraying at?

Sprayers shoot at the piston bottoms, and cool them, with piston pin lubing a secondary benefit.
The cyl walls are lubed by splash.

The cyl walls are lubed by splash? I thought nothing was lubed by splash in the modern engine.

Well, 400F oil plus the new Toyota speced 0-5w20 on the same engine ought to make for an interesting saga...

I was not aware Toyota was doing it on the 2.4 but they have done it to high performance motors in the past. Honda does it on some motors also. It been done for many years on some Japanese bikes.

Piston oil sprayers are used to reduce piston temperatures to prevent detonation and extend piston life. Less octane sensitivity is a very desirable benefit from them.

quote:

Originally posted by i:
The cyl walls are lubed by splash? I thought nothing was lubed by splash in the modern engine.

A lot of parts in a modern motors are splashed lubed or dripped lubed.

Interesting about decreasing detonation. The supercharger available on the motor had to be seriously neutered (as did the ECU settings) due to detonation problems in initial testing. Also people installing the supercharger without having the ECU immediately reflashed before cranking up the motor had their engines come apart within 100 miles.

People adding turbos to the motor have had to adjust the FI to essentially soak the motor in gasoline, I guess presumably to do the same thing -- decrease detonation.

Well, I have considered adding a turbo sharger once I am back on my feet money wise. You have to rember though that these engines are ULEV I or II motors and were never really designed to be performance engines. Sure they have forged rods,pistons,crank, 4 valves per cylinder and VVT-i but it is all super light weight. They used forging and premium material to reduce weight to go after low drag. They even designed the oil and rings for low drag.

Their are after market rods,pistons, cranks, heads, VVT-i controllers etc.... If you really want to build these engines up you can do some insane stuff with them but it costs.

I think that the piston oilers are going to cause some grief with people running cheap oil like Walmart brand 5W30! I hope that they require a synthetic in any viscosity they end up recomending!!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:

I think that the piston oilers are going to cause some grief with people running cheap oil like Walmart brand 5W30! I hope that they require a synthetic in any viscosity they end up recomending!!

I don't necessarily think a synthetic is mandatory because turbo diesels that use piston oil sprayers and good dino seem to do fine. So do the Hondas that use it.

They can cause problems (plug up) if the oil is not changed on a regular bases. Some Camry owners do tend to have the idea "it a Toyota I don't need to change the oil often". These type of people could be at risk. But if they follow the Toyota recommendation of 6 months or 5,000 mile OCI with a good modern SM I don't see any serious issues popping up.

GM started adding piston oil squirters to the vortec 4.2L I6 for 2006. Must be the in thing to do.
dunno.gif

Joel

With piston oil spray you can keep the piston cooler. This may allow the timing to be a little more advanced, increasing fuel economy. It will definitely extend piston life.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Well, I have considered adding a turbo sharger once I am back on my feet money wise. You have to rember though that these engines are ULEV I or II motors and were never really designed to be performance engines. Sure they have forged rods,pistons,crank, 4 valves per cylinder and VVT-i but it is all super light weight. They used forging and premium material to reduce weight to go after low drag. They even designed the oil and rings for low drag.

Their are after market rods,pistons, cranks, heads, VVT-i controllers etc.... If you really want to build these engines up you can do some insane stuff with them but it costs.

I can't speak for toyota stuff, but honda's stuff is turning out to be pretty strong. Some guy at k20a.org put together a CRV short block with an RSX-S head, turboed it to 650 WHP and it held together. Stock internals/bottom end. The motor was eventually killed when the tuner had a boost spike at 30+ psi.

Yeah in our Nissan realm, the turbo blocks had piston oil squirters whilst the N/A blocks of the same family of motor did not. I guess its temperature control. I wonder how effective it is though. Better than nothing I would say?

Toyota now recommends 0w-20 for this engine, with 5w-20 as an alternative. It's quite possible for 0w-20 to be synthetic.

A Toyota Tech told me that there's a $10 extra charge for 0w-20 oil...

Well I rember Toyota had the 2AZ-FE on the "DO NOT USE 0W20 or 5W20" list for a while. I do not know if 2006 or 2007 was the first year that they would officaly sanction 20Wt. in this engine. They claimed that those models not recomending a 20Wt. could suffer premature engine failure due to lubrication failure. I wounder if this is part of their fix to allow this engine to use 0W20 or 5W20?

No clue, but a TSB was released (and discussed here) not too long ago allowing the usage of 0w20 I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back