Toyota 2AZ-FE 2.4L high oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick google search brings up lots of data, I couldn't find data ON THIS SITE, which was frustrating as I know there were a ton of threads on this very subject.
I have trouble searching bitog for whatever reason. I'm like a web 0.01 guy, like from the Netscape days, so that's why it baffles me that I can't find things here when I need to.

As to the subject at hand, thanks all for the input, I'm going to try an oil with a reputation for cleanliness, like Pennz Platiinum, or maybe a brand the group suggests, a bottle of Techron TFSC and recommend the owner purchase top tier gas for the foreseeable future and see if there is any change.

I'll try to post base line numbers to keep this thread interesting...it won't be quick though, owner doesn't put a lot of miles on the car ; (

Oh and to follow up on the extended warranty offer you all mentioned, I checked the "in service date" it's 00/00/0000 on the registration for this car, hilarious.
Build date was 04/2008, so we are beyond ten years anyway.
I'm thinking as it was a commercial vehicle, i.e. a rent a car for the first part of it's life, it's also likely the warranty doesn't apply.
I have a buddy across the street that is a dealer, I'll inquire, he'll likely know the Pontiac and Toyota folks here in town.

As to the remedies I'm trying, it's as a result of me thinking it's clogged oil return holes on the pistons as a result of
many possibilities including but not limited to: Ethanol Gas, Wrong Oil, unknown early service history and bad design decisions
by Toyota. Design compromises I understand include relaxed oil control ring tension and redesigned oil return holes as a result of trying to minimize emissions and increase gas mileage ever to slightly.

I learned of these possibilities via bitog, but not by searching this site, I found it on another site that quoted this site. Once again, I could not find the original article here. I found it on a Toyota racing site in Australia.

smirk2.gif

I worked with a gentleman who drove a 2009 Matrix with a 2.4. Drank oil like crazy; really high oil consumption.

Toyota ended up actually rebuilding the offending engine top-to-bottom in the dealership. Ran like a swiss watch after that.

Unfortunately, he go into a bad wreck with it a few months after that, and wrote it off. Ironic after him haggling with Toyota for SO long to get them to do all that work!

Try Valvoline Premium Blue 'Restore' HDEO to help clean out rings.

piston
Originally Posted by S62MPOWER
As to the remedies I'm trying, it's as a result of me thinking it's clogged oil return holes on the pistons

Have you tried a piston soak?

My son has a 125000 mile 2008 Toyota with a 2AZFE engine. It only burns about a quart per 5000 miles. If it ever starts burning a lot of oil we plan to try the Valvoline Premium Blue 'Restore' HDEO

Originally Posted by digger327
My son has a 125000 mile 2008 Toyota with a 2AZFE engine. It only burns about a quart per 5000 miles. If it ever starts burning a lot of oil we plan to try the Valvoline Premium Blue 'Restore' HDEO

Hopefully it helps but valve stem seals probably already going south

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by digger327

Hopefully it helps but valve stem seals probably already going south

Exactly. Waiting for the damage to show before starting to take care of it is like waiting to get cancer before quitting smoking.

Okay! 10 quarts of Pennz Ultra Platinum purchased on Prime Day! About $4.00 quart, wow!
I stuck with the factory recommended 5W20
Will add oil and begin tracking the consumption with this car.
Ordered Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner
Asked owner to begin using top-tier gas

I'll post from time to time the results of consumption and changes if any

And when the owner again engages with the service shop, i'll find out what oil has been used for changes.
She's been going to the same mechanic for years

The hypothesis on the Toyota forums(ToyotaNation, PriusChat and Club Lexus) is that the 2AZ-F(X)E/2ZR-F(X)E, as well as the 1ZZ-FE/1NZ-F(X)E are burning oil due to low friction piston rings, and for some reason it's exacerbated on the hybrids(Prius/Camry Hybrid and the HS250h/CT200h) due to how they operate.

Toyota did repair quite a bit of 2AZ-FEs and the smaller ZR/ZZ engines in the Corollas with new pistons/rings and the long-term fix is new rings and maybe some new return holes drilled in the pistons. I've got a Prius drinking oil, I've did some cleaning via snake oil(MMO about 1K out from an OCI, BG EPR before an oil change) and with HM synthetics, I got the consumption down to 1qt/3K.

I've heard good things about Valvoline Restore, but it's not going to fix a design flaw.

Originally Posted by nthach
I've got a Prius drinking oil, I've did some cleaning via snake oil(MMO about 1K out from an OCI, BG EPR before an oil change) and with HM synthetics, I got the consumption down to 1qt/3K.

Maybe a semi-syn like red bottle Valvoline Maxlife will reduce the consumption even more. It seems consumption increases when a full syn is used. Would be interesting to see if it makes a difference. If that doesn't work maybe an oci or two of regular Valvoline white bottle. Which I've had the least amount of consumption with. Also very little with PYB and a week ago changed the oil with some PUP 5w20 so we'll see how that works out in the 05 Matrix.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by nthach
I've got a Prius drinking oil, I've did some cleaning via snake oil(MMO about 1K out from an OCI, BG EPR before an oil change) and with HM synthetics, I got the consumption down to 1qt/3K.

Maybe a semi-syn like red bottle Valvoline Maxlife will reduce the consumption even more. It seems consumption increases when a full syn is used. Would be interesting to see if it makes a difference. If that doesn't work maybe an oci or two of regular Valvoline white bottle. Which I've had the least amount of consumption with. Also very little with PYB and a week ago changed the oil with some PUP 5w20 so we'll see how that works out in the 05 Matrix.

Right now, I have Kendall GT-1 Endurance semi-syn 5W-30. While I did change out the [censored] I left on when I changed the oil 800 miles ago for an OEM Toyota filter and topped off, the oil level seemed to be stable when I checked it last week.

I had PPHM before this. I topped off about 4K after the last oil change. For some reason, this engine will burn XOM oil. I've went 3K on Castrol Edge HM before topping off. I have a preference for synthetics in Toyota engines, given their history of making sludge monsters(5S-FE and 1MZ-FE). The car was in the family, so it saw mostly M1 and PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back