Toyota 22RE Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 95 Toyota 4x4 w/22RE engine that has 128,000 miles. On my last Auto RX dose and will be adding 3oz in future oil for maintenance. I want to know what oil you guy's use in your rigs. This one has a tendency to use 1/2 ti 1 qt every 3,000 miles. Doesn't leak any, just uses it. Ok, what like?

Rando

Hello Fellow Toyota owner
grin.gif

In my '89 4runner 22RE, Im using Castrol GTX 5W-30. It seems to be doing a good job, but it cold weather performance wasnt good. I will probably continue with this or go to Pennzoil.

I had an '81 2WD Toy when I lived in Florida that went 271,000 miles on M1 with changes every 7.5K miles (3-4 times per year). In all that time, NO makeup oil was ever needed. At the last oil change before I sold the truck, the oil was down maybe 1/2 quart. I used both 10W-30 and 15W-50 depending on whatever nonsense was going through my head at the time. Conditions were ideal: no cold starts, no hills, never hauled more than a couple hundred pounds, mostly open road miles and rarely driven much over 60 mph.

These engines are nearly indestructable no matter which oil you choose. Stop obsessing.
smile.gif

'94 4x4-regular cab. 81K miles. Was using 10W-30 M-1 with a bottle of 15W-50. I now have the Rotella T-Syn (5W-40) just to compare in terms of oil analysis. I only put 5 or 6 K on per year so I do the once/year oil change/filter. I use the oversize K&N- HP-2009. The oil consumption with heavier oil went from a quart/3K to a quart every 5 or 6K. Has anyone done a valve adjustment?

My '91 Toyota 4x4 (22RE Engine). I used Amsoil 10w30 and filter for the first 150K. After that I stayed with the Amsoil filter and used Mobil 1 15w50, Changed both at ~10K miles. Just sold truck with 387 + miles. Never had to add any oil in 10K miles.

22RE was a GREAT Engine. This was by far the BEST vehicle I have EVER owned.
grin.gif

'91 4x2 Standard Cab with 96,000+ miles. Uses no oil at all between changes. Mobil 10W30 Drive Clean and in winter Mobil 5W30 Drive Clean.

Adjusted valves at 90,000 miles. Compression was only 5 to 10 pounds per cylinder off new specifications.

Agreed that the 22R-E is a great engine. Quite possibily Toyota's most durable engine ever, though the 3S-FE in my '91 Camry is one tough little mill as well.

For those of you with real winters, how's your winter fuel economy? Mine plummets to around 20-21 MPG and with the return of warm weather goes back into the mid 20s with high 20s possible on long trips. My truck mainly gets short trips to work of 11 miles one way for me and 3 miles one way for my wife.

I had the 1985 2lt Turbo Diesel 4x4 which I purchased brand new. It was the best vehicle I ever owned!
grin.gif
Unfortunately its 18 years of "severe service" took its toll this past January. I lost compression in cylinder #3
mad.gif
The truck had about 140000 miles on it.

We sold the truck to another Toyota 2lt Diesel fan and he will be rebuilding the engine and restoring the body to like new condition. It wasn't practical for me with a growing family to take on the project. He will email me the pics of the engine when its torn down.

The oil I used was Castrol 20-50, 95% of the time. Oil filter was Fram. Changes every 3-4 months hardly ever exceeded 3000 miles on oil.

IMO the truck gave great service in the 18 years I owned it. I feel shortchanged as far as the mileage.
mad.gif
The engine should have lasted over 300k easily, but the verdict is still not in on what caused the compression loss. I feel that if synthetics were used the truck would still be running great!
banghead.gif

Picked up the 2003 Tacoma to replace it so all is not lost.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2533a:
'91 4x2 Standard Cab with 96,000+ miles. Uses no oil at all between changes. Mobil 10W30 Drive Clean and in winter Mobil 5W30 Drive Clean.

Adjusted valves at 90,000 miles. Compression was only 5 to 10 pounds per cylinder off new specifications.

Agreed that the 22R-E is a great engine. Quite possibily Toyota's most durable engine ever, though the 3S-FE in my '91 Camry is one tough little mill as well.

For those of you with real winters, how's your winter fuel economy? Mine plummets to around 20-21 MPG and with the return of warm weather goes back into the mid 20s with high 20s possible on long trips. My truck mainly gets short trips to work of 11 miles one way for me and 3 miles one way for my wife.

Winter 21-22, Summer 22-23, Trip 25-26-never higher. Using 4 wheel drive- 15-17 maybe.
frown.gif

My 1985 Toyota SR5 PU has the 22REC, 115K miles. Body is starting to rust a bit
spaz.gif

A leetle noisy, but a good torquey little motor.

Has anyone experienced the front seal blow-out? (Common I guess, bad material in the mid 80's)

I used Castrol for the first 30K, then went Delo 400 until I went Amsoil Series 2000 20W-50. Never autoRx'd

Now I drive the truck less than 500 miles a year.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Has anyone experienced the front seal blow-out? (Common I guess, bad material in the mid 80's)

Not a blow-out, but it definitely leaked. The motor was well into the 100k mile mark and the seal was rock hard.

Bringing this one back to the top with a new question. This fall I will begin driving my '91 Toyota pickup 500 miles per week. Up to now I've changed the oil every three to four months as I only put about 4,000 miles per year on the truck.

Given that I will now be putting 20,000 miles per year on the truck and a 3,000 change schedule would mean oil changes every 1-1/2 months, I'd like to extend my oil change interval.

I've used dino oil exclusively in this truck since I bought it with 28,000 miles; current miles are 97,000. Oil consumption is nil and a recent compression check revealed very little decrease from new specifications. I just completed my first application of Auto-Rx and am running a 1,500 mile interval on Mobil Drive Clean 10W-30 prior to a second Auto-Rx application.

Any suggestions as to a good choice in oil going forward? It does get very cold up here in the winter and so I am considering a dino/PAO blend. Given the age and miles on the truck, would I have a problem running a dino/PAO blend? Does a full synthetic make sense for this old pickup given that I will be increasing miles driven by a factor of five on an annual basis?

Thanks for any and all comments and suggestions.

quote:

Originally posted by 2533a:

Any suggestions as to a good choice in oil going forward? It does get very cold up here in the winter and so I am considering a dino/PAO blend.
Thanks for any and all comments and suggestions.

How about giving Schaeffer's 5w30 blend a try? It'll handle the cold very well and through oil analysis you'll be able to see that it can handle long drain intervals too.

PABLO,

The front seal problem is a common problem. It is an easy fix with standard tools and about 1-2 hours. Do a search on the net and you will find several "how-to's". If it has been awhile you might have to get the sleeve that goes over the shaft because a groove may have been worn into it.

Parts without the sleeve are about $10 from dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Amkeer,
Maybe the filter was the culprit.

That is a possibility. I have thought about that numerous times. I guess when Ben, the new owner, tears the engine apart maybe we will find out. I cringe when I think about it!
banghead.gif
the possibility that maybe the filter did it.
dunno.gif

quote:

Amkeer, how do you like it? I'm thinking of buying one possibly. I've been throwing around the idea of many cars/trucks. I like the Tundra.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Amkeer, how do you like it? I'm thinking of buying one possibly. I've been throwing around the idea of many cars/trucks. I like the Tundra.

I really like my Tacoma PreRunner 4 cyl 2.7l.
burnout.gif
They are real sharp trucks and drive nice. The PreRunner has the 4x suspension and chassis without the 4x.

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/tacoma/

Tundra is nice too.

cheers.gif

a 22re will easily run 250,000 miles on crappy oil and cheap filters. i don't know if you will really get more life out of it running additives or synthetics. they don't get deposit build up and they don't have bearing problems. about the only problems they do have is that the plastic timing chain guides can break and ruin the timing cover, and when you get alot of miles on them they like to blow the head gasket.
the front oil seal is an easy fix, just make sure that you inspect the sealing surface on the pulley, they sometimes get scored.

btw my 85 4x4 toy has 306,000 hard miles on it
gr_eek2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back