Toyota 2.4L - Can I change JUST my filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to change my oil today and could not get the filter off. Its got to be the worst location ever for a filter due to the fact that you can only get a socket type wrench in there and my plastic one was slipping.

I put new oil in, so I can drive it, but all I had was Mobil 1. I want to take it somewhere and see if they can pull off the filter, but was wondering how much oil I will lose in the process? I mean, it seems the mount it pretty far up. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If this is a 2AZ-FE. I use a $4 cup wrench from WM and it works great. The filter is very easy to take off
Also a channel lock would work well as well.

Lisle makes the king of all oil filter wrenches, see attached link for more details:

LISLE OIL FILTER WRENCH

In fact I think I learned about this filter wrench here at BITOG. Great tool, has never let me down.

BTW, I also have a 2AZ-FE engine and this filter wrench easily fits into the oil filter location.

If you can DIY, after buying a new wrench, I would do it when the engine is stone cold from sitting overnight - the oil will be thicker and you should loose/spill less when replacing the filter. Should only be a 1/2 qt or so as mentioned above.

So I bought a grasp type filter from Sears and it worked well. Pulled off the filter, while still hot, and didnt lose too much. I actually filled the filter before putting on and I am right at the FULL mark, if not a bit above!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back