Toyota 2.4 VVTi 2AZ FE oil

I've been using Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 in my Toyota and it seems to be OK in general. I had the lifters/tappets checked at 60,000mls as recommended in the service schedule. I usually change the oil and filter every 6 months which is only about 3,000 or 4,000 miles. Since this engine has solid lifters/tappets I'm wondering about the content of the oil and potential for long term (or short term) wear, particularly on the cams and lifters/tappers. Many oils in Europe are low SAPS and formulated for modern engines. I read that ingredients like ZDDP are much reduced and/or substituted. Is an oil like Shell Helix above likely to be OK for ongoing use with this engine? Would there be a better oil to use?

There are many threads that read exactly like yours, or at least within the bounds of the technical question you pose. Maybe try and search for them.

Last edited:
There is not much spring pressure in the multi valve passenger vehicle engines
Thanks, that is helpful to know.
The Shell oil guide is recommending Helix HX8 ECT 5W30 with Ultra A5/B5 0W30 and HX7 Professional AF 5W30 as alternatives. Is there much between them for this engine or should I just buy on price? Would the 0W make much difference? It's a 2005 model year and in a temperate climate with fairly mild winters.

There are many threads that read exactly like yours, or at least within the bounds of the technical question you pose. Maybe try and search for them.
Thanks, I did search but I did not find anything specifically addressing cam/lifter wear nor did I see an engine with high miles where specific oils have been used throughout its life. It's possible I missed something.

Thanks, that is helpful to know.
The Shell oil guide is recommending Helix HX8 ECT 5W30 with Ultra A5/B5 0W30 and HX7 Professional AF 5W30 as alternatives. Is there much between them for this engine or should I just buy on price? Would the 0W make much difference? It's a 2005 model year and in a temperate climate with fairly mild winters.
Don't know but Toyota engines are easy on oil. Look up some UOAs in the UOA section.

The 2AZ-FE engine that’s in my 09’ Camry isn’t easy on oil
In what way is it not easy on oil? I have a 2005 2AZ FE. The VVTi doesn't get much exercise. Not sure about differences with later model years. I think there might have been some changes from 2006>. I know it's important to keep the oilways clear for VVTi, which is why I use 6 months OCI. It doesn't seem to use much oil at all but I'm not sure about oil dilution from cold starts. A UOA would be interesting but not so readily available in UK compared to US.

The 08-09’s has the ring issue and possibly not enough oil return hikes in the pistons. Mine, after 1k the oil is jet black; no matter if it’s a blend or full syn

The 08-09’s has the ring issue and possibly not enough oil return hikes in the pistons. Mine, after 1k the oil is jet black; no matter if it’s a blend or full syn
That sounds serious. Surprising after the earlier problems with cyl head bolts. Isn't there a remedy available at manufacturer's cost?

I called Toyota dealer me that’s real good and I am over the miles/time warranty. I’m at the point of doing a diesel flush and seeing what crud it breaks loose. I am adding a quart every 2.5-3k and using whatever is cheapest which is Harvest King as it’s way cheaper than ST oil

I called Toyota dealer me that’s real good and I am over the miles/time warranty. I’m at the point of doing a diesel flush and seeing what crud it breaks loose. I am adding a quart every 2.5-3k and using whatever is cheapest which is Harvest King as it’s way cheaper than ST oil
What is the odometer reading?

Back