Toyota 0w20 syn 10756 mil on oil 2012 Prius 40k

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the toyota dealer stock 0w20 synthetic oil. 10756 miles mostly summer highway. The car has now little bit over 40k. Prius has a 1.8L Atkinson cycle gasoline engine.

ALUMINUM|3
CHROMIUM|0
IRON|5
COPPER|1
LEAD|0
TIN|0
MOLYBDENUM|40
NICKEL|0
MANGANESE|0
SILVER|0
TITANIUM|0
POTASSIUM|0
BORON|7
SILICON|8
SODIUM|9
CALCIUM|2301
MAGNESIUM|11
PHOSPHORUS|564
ZINC|683
BARIUM|0

SUS Vis @ 210°F|53
cSt Vis @ 100°C|8.19
Flashpoint °F|400
Fuel %| Antifreeze %|0.0
Water %|0.0|
Insolubles %|0.3

Seems nothing out of normal to me. Any comment would be appreciated.

Last edited:
312v4tz.jpg

With all that start-stop going on with the engine, your iron ppm should be off the charts big. How is Toyota able to keep ring, cylinder, and cam lobe wear down so low? What manner of sorcery are they using? I think I remember seeing other Prius UOA reports like this that look stellar as well.

Only comment: Use a Fram toughGaurd oil filter or Mobil1 oil filter and see if you can't get the insolubles down. Fram Ultra not available for your application.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
With all that start-stop going on with the engine, your iron ppm should be off the charts big. How is Toyota able to keep ring, cylinder, and cam lobe wear down so low? What manner of sorcery are they using?

Thin oil flows faster, keeps engine cooler, sprinkle in some pixie dust and add unicorn tears, but then you find the dealer wasn't using genuine TGMO 0w20 after all.

And there would be zero wear with 25w70.
crackmeup2.gif

And in the prius the engine doesn't really work at low rpm's SCANGAUGE shows nothing less 960 so no load ever on low rpm.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

Only comment: Use a Fram toughGaurd oil filter or Mobil1 oil filter and see if you can't get the insolubles down. Fram Ultra not available for your application.

I wouldn't - the OE filter is less than $4 (when purchased by the case) from the dealer, and the filter has been validated for 10,000 mile intervals by Toyota. The Fram costs significantly more and there is no guarantee that any small reduction in insolubles will actually translate to anything meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back