Toyota - 0w20 Royal Purple vs 0w20 Mobile 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 5.7 Tundra with 111k miles. The previous owner put 105k of highway miles and did sub-5k oil changes. Jackpot, right? I have done 1 oil change with 0w20 M1 AFE (Advanced Fuel Econ). Truck is running great and at 6k on the oil, it is still goldish on the dipstick. I plan to start doing 8-10k OCI's, maybe closer to 10k.

The questions comes from Walmart having the 0w20 M1 Extended Performance on sale for $26.68, the same price as their regular M1 or AFE. However, I noticed they had Royal Purple 0w20 clearanced for $30.00 from the $38 normal.

Under typical circumstances, I would just buy the Mobil 1 Extended Performance b/c the Royal Purple becomes price prohibitive and I'm not sure if it's better for my application. But at a very similar price? What do you think BITOG? I tried to find comparisons of VOA or UOA and couldn't b/c there isn't much on the 0w20 RP. I did find these references though:

VOA - Mobil 1 0w20 Extended Performance

VOA - Royal Purple 5w20

VOA - Mobil 1 0w20 AFE

M1 EP is my choice when it is the same price as M1 AFE and M1 HM. I don't care for Royal Purple oil, my cars are normal not Royal fleet therefore don't need Royal oil.

You will receive many different types of responses to the question that you pose. Since the M1 EP is the same price as M1 AFE, I would go for that. AFE would be good for a 10K OCI and EP for a 15K so if you happen to go over you would have some cushion and not have to be in a bind to change it. I cannot speak to the OCI that RP would produce as I have never used it and there is no TBN reading on the VOA. There are others who have used it and could give you an idea.

Go with the Royal Purple. You will not be dissapointed. The API oil at Walmart is undoubtedly a great oil, but I would actually recommend going with the HPS series. It is a couple dollars more, but it is far superior to any of the other synthetics you will find off the shelf IMHO. With a Royal Purple, Purolator Synthetic or Fram Ultra, you could easily (and safely) run this oil for 10k miles. Take a look for yourself.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hps-motor-oil/

M1 EP is Mobil's best line of oils. The EP 0w-20 is majority PAO and should have better cold temp performance than the AFE 0w-20, which is exceptional:

To give you an idea:

M1 AFE 0w-20:
MRV: 9,200cP
Flash: 435F (224C)

M1 EP 0w-20:
MRV: ~9,000cP (estimated based on higher % PAO base than the AFE)
Flash: 455F (235C)

Royal Purple 0w-20:
MRV: 34,200cP
Flash: 420F (215C)

On cold temp performance alone, the Mobil 1 products win by a landslide. But the slap in the face is the better flash point too.

The RP Consumer (API) oils are nothing special. Their HPS series is supposed to be a lot better, however they don't appear to list the relevant info for that line so we are forced to assume that it is better than the API line.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 EP is Mobil's best line of oils. The EP 0w-20 is majority PAO and should have better cold temp performance than the AFE 0w-20, which is exceptional:

To give you an idea:

M1 AFE 0w-20:
MRV: 9,200cP
Flash: 435F (224C)

M1 EP 0w-20:
MRV: ~9,000cP (estimated based on higher % PAO base than the AFE)
Flash: 455F (235C)

Royal Purple 0w-20:
MRV: 34,200cP
Flash: 420F (215C)

On cold temp performance alone, the Mobil 1 products win by a landslide. But the slap in the face is the better flash point too.

The RP Consumer (API) oils are nothing special. Their HPS series is supposed to be a lot better, however they don't appear to list the relevant info for that line so we are forced to assume that it is better than the API line.

He is in South Carolina. What does cold weather performance mean to him?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: sir1900
RP claims up to 12k OCI under normal conditions.

M1 EP claims up to 15k.

I would go with the M1 EP based on price and the 15k max OCI.

The 12k is for the API oil. The HPS has a longer drain interval IIRC. OP just try out Mobil 1 and RP and see which one you like better! That is the best (and most enjoyable) way to solve this problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636

confused.gif

Well, for one thing it speaks to there being significantly better base stocks used in the Mobil 1 product. The MRV on the RP 0w-20 is higher than that of M1 0w-40! LOL!

If M1 is cheaper the choice should be easy. I have no idea how one would prove in your case which oil might be a little bit better in actual performance. Either oil should do the job so the choice comes back to price and availability.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If M1 is cheaper the choice should be easy. I have no idea how one would prove in your case which oil might be a little bit better in actual performance. Either oil should do the job so the choice comes back to price and availability.

I agree. This choice comes down to brand preference for me. Especially since the OP lives south of the great white north.

So spend a couple dollars more than the "more" that Royal Purple already costs at Walmart? And it is "far superior" to M1 EP? I don't think so.

Buy RP if you wish, but the arguments you make aren't reasons to do it.

Go with the Royal Purple. You will not be dissapointed. The API oil at Walmart is undoubtedly a great oil, but I would actually recommend going with the HPS series. It is a couple dollars more, but it is far superior to any of the other synthetics you will find off the shelf IMHO. With a Royal Purple, Purolator Synthetic or Fram Ultra, you could easily (and safely) run this oil for 10k miles. Take a look for yourself.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hps-motor-oil/

See which one he likes better? Come on, how is the consumer supposed to tell anything in one OCI between those oils when it comes down to performance? It is not the best and most enjoyable way to solve this problem, it would be entirely subjective and nearly devoid of any substantive analysis.

Just what performance parameters is he going to observe and end up "liking"?

The 12k is for the API oil. The HPS has a longer drain interval IIRC. OP just try out Mobil 1 and RP and see which one you like better! That is the best (and most enjoyable) way to solve this problem.

Thanks everyone. OVERKILL, I appreciate your response especially b/c it brings up some evidence that the RP has a viscosity that varies more than the M1 EP. Certainly none of us will likely be in -40 temps but it makes me think the startup viscosity will be more desirable.

One thing that is interesting to me is that the 2 oils seem to have a very different approach to the wear additives.
M1 / RP
Moly 54 / 116
Calc 954 / 1922
Mag 744 / 1047

Phos 638 / 709
Zinc 787 / 899

I know people seem to be fans of one or the other, but what are some objective thoughts on those differences?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
confused.gif

Well, for one thing it speaks to there being significantly better base stocks used in the Mobil 1 product. The MRV on the RP 0w-20 is higher than that of M1 0w-40! LOL!

+1
11.gif

Originally Posted By: ItsMeHank
Thanks everyone. OVERKILL, I appreciate your response especially b/c it brings up some evidence that the RP has a viscosity that varies more than the M1 EP. Certainly none of us will likely be in -40 temps but it makes me think the startup viscosity will be more desirable.

One thing that is interesting to me is that the 2 oils seem to have a very different approach to the wear additives.
M1 / RP
Moly 54 / 116
Calc 954 / 1922
Mag 744 / 1047

Phos 638 / 709
Zinc 787 / 899

I know people seem to be fans of one or the other, but what are some objective thoughts on those differences?

Objective thought number one: someone has more additives than Mobil 1....
cool.gif

I have a 2011 5.7 Tundra with 111k miles. The previous owner put 105k of highway miles and did sub-5k oil changes. Jackpot, right? I have done 1 oil change with 0w20 M1 AFE (Advanced Fuel Econ). Truck is running great and at 6k on the oil, it is still goldish on the dipstick. I plan to start doing 8-10k OCI's, maybe closer to 10k.

The questions comes from Walmart having the 0w20 M1 Extended Performance on sale for $26.68, the same price as their regular M1 or AFE. However, I noticed they had Royal Purple 0w20 clearanced for $30.00 from the $38 normal.

Under typical circumstances, I would just buy the Mobil 1 Extended Performance b/c the Royal Purple becomes price prohibitive and I'm not sure if it's better for my application. But at a very similar price? What do you think BITOG? I tried to find comparisons of VOA or UOA and couldn't b/c there isn't much on the 0w20 RP. I did find these references though:

VOA - Mobil 1 0w20 Extended Performance

VOA - Royal Purple 5w20

VOA - Mobil 1 0w20 AFE

Your engine is very easy on oil, so any of the above would be fine. If it was my truck, I would just call it a day and use Mobil 1 EP...

M1 / RP
Moly 54 / 116
Calc 954 / 1922
Mag 744 / 1047

Phos 638 / 709
Zinc 787 / 899

Mobil uses tri-nuclear Moly, which is vastly more effective and so less is needed to yield the same result. Calcium and Magnesium are less because they use other additives. Zinc/Phos levels are very similar, which makes sense for an API SN lubricant.

Mobil and SOPUS both utilize state-of-the-art additive packages and base oils in their products. Mobil produces their own PAO, AN's....etc and these companies co-own Infineum, who produces additive packages.

On a price-per-litre level, since Mobil can design, formulate and manufacture their entire product line in-house, their cost is significantly less. And they move far more oil. This is why they can get away with using better base oils at the same price point.

M1 / RP
Moly 54 / 116
Calc 954 / 1922
Mag 744 / 1047

Phos 638 / 709
Zinc 787 / 899

Surprising how much Ca+Mg Royal Purple has. Wouldn't have expected it to be higher than M1 EP. So why does RP only recommend 12k oil changes, and Mobil says 15k with (apparently) less overall detergency content?
Phosphorous content is reasonable for SN-spec oils.
Molybdenum for RP is still consistent for using trinuclear Moly, which gains effectiveness up to 200 ppm.
Maybe the extra Moly is necessary to balance out the higher detergent content.

IIRC, I believe Calcium is also used to boost TBN. Mobil is probably using something else.

Also, we don't know what moly RP is using unfortunately. We can hope it is of the tri-nuclear type but that may not be the case.

Given the horrific MRV, I'm not overly impressed with their 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back