Toyota 0W-20 -- 9,925 miles -- 2010 Toyota 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some feedback on this. It's been about a hundred years since I posted a UOA on here. Oil was in use for almost 9 months (1/11 - 10/11). This is the first OCI that I followed Toyota's 10k recommendation. Blackstone noted that copper and silicon are high. Note that averages I listed are from Blackstone, but for 5k OCI.

Comments from Blackstone: "Your engine is pretty new yet (and it looks like you've been running pretty long oil runs already), so
we're not too concerned about the elevated copper and readings that turned up here. Copper could just be
some residual wear-in stuff that hasn't washed out of the engine yet, and maybe silicon is from factory
sealers. Because other elements look fine, we doubt either element warrants any attention at this point.
Averages are based on 5,200 miles on the oil. The TBN of 1.8 shows some active additive left (1.0 is low).
Check back for improvements next time."

Code:

Miles on oil: 9,925

Miles on unit: 20,039

Sample date: 10/09/11

Make up oil: 0 qts

Unit Averages

Aluminum 5 3

Chromium 0 0

Iron 19 11

Copper 16 6

Lead 0 2

Tin 0 0

Moly 627 78

Nickel 1 0

Manganese 1 1

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 1

Potassium 0 2

Boron 64 40

Silicon 34 16

Sodium 8 33

Calcium 2381 2252

Magnesium 10 76

Phosp 716 684

Zinc 852 817

Barium 0 0

SUS Visc @210F 53.9

cSt Visc @100C 8.45

Flashpoint 400

Fuel%
Antifreze% 0.0

Water% 0.0

Insolubles% 0.4

TBN 1.8

Last edited:
Considering the newness of the engine and the length you ran the oil, it is a great looking report! Nice dose of moly too.

Ten months and ten thousand miles, what's not to like?
Will be interesting to see how the wear metals trend if you keep up the interval and oil choice.

Originally Posted By: parrothead
How does the TBN @ 1.8 and insolubles @ 0.4 look, considering a 10k OCI?

Means your oil filter did its job well and the oil used most of its additvie package doing what it is designed to do.
You got your money's worth and the oil/filter combination worked.

Looks awesome, thanks for posting. The TBN is fine-starting TBN is only 6.9, and the drop is non-linear. You have plenty of buffer to continue w/10K OCI's.

Regarding the insolubles, they're certainly in the acceptable range, and you'd probably need a particle count of the oil to get any better resolution. That said, the Amsoil test on one of the Toyota OEM filters shows it to be pretty inefficient, 50%@ 20 microns (and this isn't an Amsoil ad-they show other filters as filtering quite well). So if you're using the OEM filter you may want to explore some alternatives; but I wouldn't do so based on anything in this report.

do you have TAN, Oxidation and Nitration test results?

Originally Posted By: rjacket
How much does it cost you to put in Toyota 0w-20?

I paid $60-something for a case of 12 on Ebay back in January. Don't remember how much shipping was. At the time, my dealer did not carry it and wouldn't order it for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: avss1

No, I paid extra for the TBN test, but not the ones you listed.

Originally Posted By: avss1

No, I paid extra for the TBN test, but not the ones you listed.

IMHO TBN level 2.5 is time to change the oil. At that time TAN is about 4-5 mg KOH/g (my experience for PCMO). So the right OCI for you should be 8-8.5k milles (IMHO)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate all the comments. I think I'm going to stick with Toyota's 10k OCI recommendation with 0W-20 and see how the next UOA looks.

What are your daily trips ? If you get 10k miles in 9 months and you use your car every day of the week then average daily trip is about 10-15 miles, the oil is barely get to about 180-190F at the end of daily trips. If your daily trips are 20-25 miles or longer then TBN should be in the range 2.5-3.0 for 10k miles OCI.

If your driving conditions do not change much then 10k miles OCI is okay with Toyota 0W20.

Right now it is $60 shipped for a case of 12 on ebay.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What are your daily trips ? If you get 10k miles in 9 months and you use your car every day of the week then average daily trip is about 10-15 miles, the oil is barely get to about 180-190F at the end of daily trips. If your daily trips are 20-25 miles or longer then TBN should be in the range 2.5-3.0 for 10k miles OCI.

If your driving conditions do not change much then 10k miles OCI is okay with Toyota 0W20.

It's my daily driver and 10-15 miles is about right. My daily drive is a mix of city and interstate.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Right now it is $60 shipped for a case of 12 on ebay.

I could only find $80 after shipping.

In any case, is there any reason to pay $5 per quart for Toyota 0w20 as opposed to something else especially with all the rebates? I mean you have a year in between oil changes to spot a deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back