Toyo tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised not much info and not many posts with personnal experiences with these tires. Was wondering why?
Are they not that good?

Like every other tire,,,some swear by them, some swear at them!! Have several quality/performancelevels. You can pretty well expect to get what you pay for.

IMO, they dont get anywhere near the exposure to the normal tire buyer that the other brands do... One retailer around our place in PA, jack Williams Tire, features toyo tires, and has a display in front... all the same, there isnt a whole lot of featuring going on, and most folks dont hear a thing about toyo.

In my experience, they also tend to be a little pricier than other 'equivlent' tires.

The only toyo tires we've had are on my father's 94 toyota previa... they were the OEM fitted Toyo A05 tires. They had a lot of siping, so picked up a nail or two, but were excellent tires with great traction all through their life. Even when we replaced hem at 77k miles, they still had decent tread left.

Alas, no local shops could easily get them, so we changed to something else.

JMH

I like the Toyo Proxies.
Had a set put on my last company car.
A nice directional handling tire.

I think they have good tires -- they are just not "readily available" like other brands. They also do not advertise much. My father has a set of 800 Ultras. He likes them a lot. They are excellent in snow/ice.

I have Toyo's on my 2005 Tacoma. Nice comfortable, quiet ride but kicked some *** in the snow and ice we had this winter. They are premium tires for less money than some of the other "premium" brands. Namely the Bridgestone Revo's that so many truck owners go gaga over.

They do not get much press at all. Town Fair Tire here in NE carry them pretty much exclusively.

Nitto tires are part of the same company. Different branding. It seems like Nitto's are more common on the west coast and Toyo's are here on the east.

If you're into the Consumer Reports thing, Nitto's and Toyo's AT tires were rated 1 and 3 with the Revo's in the middle. My Open Country's were roughly $150 less than the Bridgestone's.

Had Toyo tires on my new, last year, Toyota Kluger (Highlander) awd which were original equipment. They only lasted 28k kms (18k miles approx) and this is about normal according to other owners from other forums. I drive very gently and have never gone through a set of tires so quickly in over 40 years of car ownership. So in my opinion they are very poor.
Roger

quote:

Originally posted by RogerKlugerAus05:
Had Toyo tires on my new, last year, Toyota Kluger (Highlander) awd which were original equipment. They only lasted 28k kms (18k miles approx) and this is about normal according to other owners from other forums. I drive very gently and have never gone through a set of tires so quickly in over 40 years of car ownership. So in my opinion they are very poor.
Roger

I don't understand how anyone can judge an entire brand of tires on one set. OEM tires usually do not last long in order to achieve quiet/comfortable ride and the best fuel economy as possible.

All tire makers have duds to winners, you just need to research them and find the winners they meet your compromise in a tire (all of them have a compromise).

quote:

Originally posted by RogerKlugerAus05:
Roger

You also need to remember that OEM tires are not the same grade as the aftermarkets available. OEM tires are made as cheaply as possible since the lowest bidder gets the contract. The Bridgestone's that came on my truck were terrible but that doesn't mean all Bridgestone's are "poor".

quote:

Originally posted by kkreit01:
I think they have good tires -- they are just not "readily available" like other brands. They also do not advertise much.

This, and the fact that they are not available for less $$ through any national discount mail order/phone/internet dealers (i.e.; Discount Tire, Tire Rack, etc.).

Thanks for the input guys.
I'm looking at summer tires as I have a winter set on rims. The sales guy was really raving about the Toyo's, but I was having a hard time finding any info on them ( especially nothing on Tirerack )I kind of like that they are good for 100k miles, as I'm a easy driver with my focus wagon and kids in the back seat. Looks like they are worth price quote.
Thanks again

1010 has info on Toyos. I see then mainly at Les Schwab, have had a couple of sets of the Toyo Spectrum, which is a basic all season tire. As the first set wore the rain traction decreased, but siping allowed them to perform ok up to 60k miles. We put some BFG Control 65 or something on next, which worked well, and last a bit over 40k miles. The second set of Toyo Spectrums came from the factory with more siping, and so far they're ok, not as good as the BFGs were, but will last longer. The Toyo Open Country are popular AT tires around here.

I feel able to comment on OEM tire brands based on my last 15 new cars over the last 20 years. If all OEM tires are inferior then in my experience Toyo are the worst as I have had to replace them far too soon compared to the other new cars I have owned. My observations concerning Toyo tires are similar to other Toyota owners posting on Toyota forums. My other car is a Hyundai fitted with Hankook tires which at 9000 miles are hardly showing any signs of wear at all and perform really well. I have Hankook fitted to my Toyota now and trust they will perform as well as on the Hyundai.
Roger

I have to agree with Roger my Toyo experience has made me shop other brands. I bought a car with a set of Toyo spectrum tires and they have been nothing but problems. They have been lasting but I would have prefered that they just wore right out. Two tires have severe seperation issues in the cords causing noise and poor balance, the tread is very feathered, the other 2 aren't much better. I have checked other peoples tires myself to see the same problems, all spectrum tires. The tire dealer told me Toyo's higher end tires are good but the spectrums and lower ends are junk.

I took them off and put on a cheap Kumho set that run true, balance well and are wearing fine. I still have the toyo's in the garage they have tons of tread left, if anyone really likes them that much come get'em. Otherwise they are toys for my dogs.

I drove a car with Toyo Observe G2(?) winter tires on it. The weather had warmed up, the owner hadn't put his summer tires on yet. They handled the warm weather very well, and had crisp handling, unlike BFG Winter Slaloms which squirmed and went any which way they felt like when the temps got above freezing. I'll probably have a closer look at toyo when I need tires again.

Alex.

Like almost every other tire maker, they have "rim protectors" and great tires.

I'm running Toyo T1Rs on the Miata right now. Good tire for the money. Got mine on special, so they were a steal. Honestly though, I like to play with a car, break it loose, and the Toyos stick too well. Probably go with a Kumho SPT next time, though who knows what will be available then.

I'm also a big fan of Kumho, as they have some great cheap tires you would think were just "rim protectors" but are not, as well as some very good UHP tires.

I'm brand blind though. Every time I make a tire purchase, I research the heck out of it, and pick the one that gives the best "bang for the buck." So far that has been brands that many turn their noses up at, such as Toyo, Kumho, and Hankook. I'm laughing all the way to the bank though...

The biggest key is to look for reviews that deal with you car, or one much like it, and look for reviews that compare the tires to others, listing both the good things and the bad, because EVERY tire has trade-offs. Tell me a tire is great, and nothing else, and you've told me less than nothing. If you get stuck on one brand or another, it's likely that, most of the time, you do not have the tire that would please you best.

Hey Folks,
Just an update to this thread.
So I purchased the Toyo's for the Ford Focus, (800 Ultras). Even thou there are brand new, they are handling the raining weather we've been having really well. So well in fact, that they are exposing how bad my brakes are. They are a little more noisy, as compared to previous set of tires, but they are definitly better.
Thanks all

Well I have Toyo Open Country GO-2+ winter tires on my suv and they worked good in what little winter we had. That's because I had trouble finding wheels and didn't get them until just after Christmas. There weren't any steel wheels available. Then I had slim pickings for tires. I didn't get them on until the 1st week of January.
I'll get a better read on them this winter coming.
But good so far!

quote:

Originally posted by alreadygone:
Like every other tire,,,some swear by them, some swear at them!! Have several quality/performancelevels. You can pretty well expect to get what you pay for.

While I tend to agree that you get what you pay for with most things, that doesn't necessarily seem to be the rule when it comes to tires. I know absolutely nothing about Toyo tires, but I do know that some Kumho tires are vastly superior to many tires costing two, or even three times more. With tires, you have to gauge how good a tire is based on people's experiences and not price. Otherwise you may very well end up spending a bunch of dough on a set of very poor tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back