Toyiota 22RE chain slap gone. Oil or Filter both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me Toyota pickup with the 22RE had chain slap at start up for a second or two after it sit all night. Don't know what oil it had in it, but it had a Valvoline filter when I bought it. Changed the oil and filter, and put in Pennzoil HM 10W-30, and used a Toyota 90915-YZZD1 oil filter. Still had the chain slap first thing in the morning. Had the chain slap too on what ever oil and Valvoline oil filter, which what was on it when I bought it.

Changed the oil the other day after 3,047 miles, and this time I went up in viscosity to Castrol GTX 10W-40, and used a Ford Motorcraft FL-910S oil filter. Chain slap is gone on first crank in the mornings, or the noise is so low now I can't hear it.

Was it the oil or filter, or a combination of both?

Those chains only last about 150,000 miles. If it is hitting the sides of the cover you need to replace it before it wears through into the water passage.

The oil did it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mk378
Those chains only last about 150,000 miles. If it is hitting the sides of the cover you need to replace it before it wears through into the water passage.

Agreed; also replace the chain tensioners - my brother's 22RE grenaded the tensioners and he had to replace the engine. It had been making noise for (IIRC) only around 20000 miles...

Agree that the oil helped, but did not solve, the initial issue....

Speaking from experience with these engines (my 4Runner has nearly 330,000 miles) and an engine with right at 50,000 miles on a new chain set. These engines are exceptionally picky about ADBV and start up chain noise. Ive had the best luck with FL910S and Napa Gold filters for keeping the filter full and eliminating noise on start up. When it makes chain noise after start up during normal running you need to be concerned. The better ADBV is what helped not the oil.

Chain sounds fine when it is running. Just chain rattle only on start up, after it sit all night, that's stopped now with different oil and filter.

@FlyNavyP3

When I took off the Toyota filter, it was only half way full of oil, so I am thinking you are right. These engines are noisy no matter what, but I do think the 10W-40 quietened the valve train down some. Have not adjusted the valves yet, so while I have the valve cover off I will check the chain guides.

At least the annoying chain rattle at start up is gone.

Keep an eye on the valve adjustment. Too tight will burn a valve. This is a good engine but it is not invincible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AntiMatic
Had a 22REC: Ran if for 300k with no issues with Castrol GTX 20W-50.

Probably would have gone 400K with a non-insane oil choice.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Keep an eye on the valve adjustment. Too tight will burn a valve. This is a good engine but it is not invincible.
It's a bit better than a VZ but a UZ it sure ain't

Originally Posted By: AntiMatic
Had a 22REC: Ran if for 300k with no issues with Castrol GTX 20W-50.

I was looking at the Shell lube match Australia for the 22RE engine between the years of 1988 and 1997. Recommended oil is Shell Helix HX7 10W-40, and the high mileage oil recommendation is Helix HX7 High Mileage 15W-50.

http://lubematch.shell.com/au/en_GB/equipment/cars/toyota/hilux_4x4_rn110_22r_e_hilux_2f6gy3ZzE8

I think the 10W-40 is doing the job for me right now, but I would use 20W-50 during the Summer if need be.

You really should take the valve cover off, adjust the valves and look down to inspect the timing chain especially on the drive side (left side of the truck). If the plastic guide has disintegrated and there are grooves from the chain making metal on metal contact with the side of the cover, it needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back