Tows don't cost $50...

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, I am having another one of my.. "interesting" extracurricular activities or chats on the dating sites. One young idiot expects me to believe their car won't start 30 minutes after talking to me.. and needs $50 for a tow.

So, I just got to thinking about how tows don't cost an even, round $50.

Purpose of thread: How much do tows cost?

I know there are many scenarios, many variables, vehicles, areas, etc.

Let's talk about them.

I got winched out of a snowy ditch on the NYS thruway system in 1997 for $50 plus tax.

You should offer to go over there with jumper cables.

I got winched out of a ditch in 2003 or 4 for $50. It was still snowing, I was stuck, and he was driving by, didn't even have to call. After that I started carrying more cash as that was about all I had. What are you goin to do, argue? Not say it was highway robbery or nothing, looking back it makes sense (gotta cover wear & tear, insurance, who knows what else).

Reactions: JC1
I think I would avoid sites where you get hit up for money within a few minutes of meeting someone.

Tows cost a fixed amount plus miles. In the neighborhood of $75 plus $2-4 per mile.

AAA pays for the first few miles with basic membership. Up to unlimited miles at higher levels of membership.

I think I would avoid sites where you get hit up for money within a few minutes of meeting someone.

Tows cost a fixed amount plus miles. In the neighborhood of $75 plus $2-4 per mile.

AAA pays for the first few miles with basic membership. Up to unlimited miles at higher levels of membership.

It is usually amongst the first things they ask.

I'm wising up to the scams.

No, not unlimited. You think if you live in LA and your car breaks down in Miami, they will tow you home?

One of the younger mechanics that works at Leisure (the other shop by me, not the one that does the Subaru) says they will. But he says there is some kind of Military option that they would do that..

Towing rates in Alabama for cars, box trucks and semis.

Well depending on who you know. I got the beetle towed for $80 back home from a couple towns over where I bought it about 15 miles. My friend owns a towing company it’s $50 for the call plus hook up and everything like that not just $50. I use him when I have too or he isn’t busy. He will do in town tows for $50 like a few miles or so or if you are a repeat customer.

Cost of tow depends on if they can bill the insurance company. If it’s accident related a lot of times there’s a rate schedule if the police call. The same tow might be $100 private pay or $500 if they can bill the insurance company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back