Town car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a 2006 or newer. In 2006 the big fords got R&P steering which to me feels alot better than the old gear system. They also got a tach on the instrument cluster. You may want to also consider an Ultimate Edition Grand Marquis. Mine has the handle & performance package (dual exhaust, 3.27 rear gear), leather seats, dual power & heated seats, Moon roof, factory premium sound with factory sub-woofer in the trunk. You can pick up the comperable Grand Marquis for probably 3k less than the Lincoln for the same car.

The Town Car went to rack and pinion steering in 2003, which was also the first year of the newest body style. At that time they also moved from 16 inch to 17 inch wheels as standard equipment. Anything 2002 or older looks kind of dated by now, in my opinion.

One other thing to be aware of is the increasing amount of electronics and computer controls as they get newer. For instance around 2005 they went to electronic throttle control (drive by wire). The newer ones have computer controls for the evap system that are more complex than the earlier models. All of this stuff adds complexity, diagnostic time, and cost when it fails.

Agree completely that the 2006 instrument cluster refresh is a nice, more contemporary upgrade from the older ones.

One last comment - the rear suspension air bags are neither expensive nor difficult to replace, and the ride quality suffers considerably when they are replaced with the spring kit - to me it is worth maintaining the original system.

I would buy one in a heartbeat if something happened to my Accord. Last summer, I drove for a local limo company (mom and pop business) and the fleet consisted of assorted stretches and three old towncars (a '99 and a couple of '01s). The newest one had over 300000 miles and the oldest had over 500000 (although this one was affectionately known as the "death car".). None of the cars ever left me stranded, although the "death car" consumed oil so I had to bring a quart or two every time I made a run. When you test drive, listen carefully for a moaning sound from the differential. This could be problems.

Originally Posted By: NEOhio_Bob
The Town Car went to rack and pinion steering in 2003, which was also the first year of the newest body style. At that time they also moved from 16 inch to 17 inch wheels as standard equipment. Anything 2002 or older looks kind of dated by now, in my opinion.

One other thing to be aware of is the increasing amount of electronics and computer controls as they get newer. For instance around 2005 they went to electronic throttle control (drive by wire). The newer ones have computer controls for the evap system that are more complex than the earlier models. All of this stuff adds complexity, diagnostic time, and cost when it fails.

Agree completely that the 2006 instrument cluster refresh is a nice, more contemporary upgrade from the older ones.

One last comment - the rear suspension air bags are neither expensive nor difficult to replace, and the ride quality suffers considerably when they are replaced with the spring kit - to me it is worth maintaining the original system.

I stand corrected, The big fords got R&P in 2003.

You cant go wrong with either of the big Fords. It really depends on which styling you like better. I never really liked the dash layout of the Town Car, I like the Grand Marquis dash a bit better. On the outside I like them both..

2001 and up got the PI heads and intake manifold, but not the Mustang cams. They were 224HP with single exhaust and 239 with duals. Police cars got the Marauder MAF and airbox in 2004 and went up to 250HP.

This baffles me as we replaced 3 that my son owned and one for a friend and I flat could not tell the difference!

I keep looking for a Town Car/Grand Marquis, but can't find one in a color I like around here. Personally I think everybody who has one is holding on to it.

There's always a beaut out there somewhere.

My son just picked up an 06 with 55k miles on it and the car looks like brand new inside and out!

04 or newer.

00 to mid-year 03's had some issues with cam chain GUIDES and/or "soft" rear axle drive shafts at around 150k miles. Don't remember the exact details.

Could not agree more. No difference for the driver, but a big difference for the passenger in the rear.

I run a service. My favorite ones are Ultimate (2004 was the only year for them) and 2007 Signature. R&P was introduced in 2003 and some of them have issues that were rectified in 2004 and on. Drive by wire was introduced in 2005 and the issues were corrected next year. I agree with the poster pointing to increased complexity of electronics. Every year saw efforts in cheapening out and decontenting unfortunately. You can still find front seat pockets on 2003, no pockets on 2004 and on, etc. Climate unit is fine as long as your default setting is on minimum when it starts. I actually start it by flipping the fan switch as opposed to AC on/Off switch. Small things. You can join lincolnsonline forum.
My personal favorite for personal use is Mercury GM: the best compromise and blend of features. Try to get one with the limited slip or swap one from a police ford.
We never had Lexus LS460L serving for as long and as economical as LTC, although they are very nice. LS430 were better suited for livery service, btw. Small trunks though, Mercedes - forget about it. The whole Europe runs on diesel Mercedes cars, but here it is a disaster. Go figure.
Nothing beats real frame and RWD. The other kind is simply cheaper to produce, and the manufacturer understandably has to make profit.

Addition: 2002 Cartier is also very nice. Just check the intake manifold.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Serious use gets a whole new perspective!

No offense intended, but it is baloney to imagine that body on frame is simply cheaper. It's a huge improvement in most cases in rigidity and strength. Very platform dependent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No offense intended, but it is baloney to imagine that body on frame is simply cheaper. It's a huge improvement in most cases in rigidity and strength

Squeak-squeak, rattle-squeak, improvement-squeak. It is not simply cheaper, it is cheaper simply. It is a huge improvement for a smaller car though.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I keep looking for a Town Car/Grand Marquis, but can't find one in a color I like around here. Personally I think everybody who has one is holding on to it.

I've found a nice metallic green/tan leather Grand Marquis from a local dealer, 2005 model year, w/ 98K miles, asking $9500. I think I'll run out and take a test drive if they still have it this weekend! Anything special I should look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back