Towing with 0w-30 in a Dodge truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across 4 5 qt. jugs of Mobil1 0w-30 AFE at Autozone on clearance last winter and, of course, bought it all. Now, I'm planning some stash use over the next year.

Would you use it in an older Dodge truck for summer towing? This is a 2000 Durango with the 4.7. 135k miles. Manual suggests 5w-30 or even a 10w-30 in hot weather.

The trucks sees 100 degree temps. and some long, uphill climbs. And it runs hot - sometimes around 220 or 225 degrees - on those inclines. It can run 205 or 210 on the flat when towing. It's a small travel trailer, only about 2000 lbs., but it works this truck on these mountains.

I plan to use a full synthetic next summer. I just wonder if this Mobil1 makes sense in this application. Asking now because what I do then will affect what oil I use this winter.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Mobil 1 says their oil is good for well over 400 degrees

What's the viscosity at 400 degrees, Nick?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Mobil 1 says their oil is good for well over 400 degrees

What's the viscosity at 400 degrees, Nick?

I have no clue, but they say their oil isn't affected even if it hits 400 degrees.

tig1 is the one who posted about it originally, he'll know more about it.

It came with a towing package so there's a cooler on it and a AT Temp. warning light (which, thankfully, I've only seen on startup).

Last edited:
As Rolla07 mentioned, the tranny can take a beating at higher temps. When was the last time it got attention with a fluid change? Your probably covered with a additional finned cooler with a tow package.

Last edited:
I did the tranny filters (there are two) when I first got it in 2013, installed a pan plug, have used Lubegard, and done three drain/refills in the last three years. I'm not sure I can do much more to baby the tranny. The fluid is like new, which it should be since the drain/refills only cost about $25 with the SuperTech fluid.

AFE is a good oil, and will do fine in any engine spec'd for a 5w30. I've towed with AFE 0w20 in my 08 4.7 spec'd for 5w20, towing in >100F ambient, and an immediate UOA after the towing was excellent.

The 4.7 never got put in front of a particularly 'fragile' transmission (for example something like the 42RE). It started out in 1999 as the first application for the 45RFE and then started getting the 545RFE a few model years later (basically a re-programmed 45RFE). Those have always been pretty solid units. Use ATF+4 only and NO ADDITIVE (no Lubegard).

If you are using a lot of oil then consider moving up to an 0 or 5w40. Otherwise I would just check the oil finder page of the Mobil web site to see what they recommend.

Towing does not make much difference in engine block wear, but it sure does in terms of clutch or auto box wear, so it is worth using the best tranny oil available from your favourite major brand oil company.

For peace of mind, use the 0W30 you already got and add 1 quart of M1 15W50 to raise viscosity and ZDDP. That's only an extra $6-$8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back