Towing Novice, need help with tow rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Thanks for the VIN, Florida

I don't follow, is that a piece of info that shouldn't be shared?

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
I don't follow, is that a piece of info that shouldn't be shared?

I had asked for it earlier to verify what vehicle you had; some people don't like to share anything publicly (like putting your finger in front of the license plate when taking pictures, etc.).

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
For those of you that are saying he is limited to 5,000 maximum loaded trailer weight, where are you getting that information?

Florida has a Supercab, 4x2, 145" wheelbase, with the 2.7 GTDI V6 and 3.31 axle ratio that's equipped with option code 53B. The chart is clear that this provides a GCWR of 12,500 and maximum trailer weight of 7,600.

The limitation is to not exceed trailer weight of 5,100 lbs. when towing with bumper only. However, his is equipped with a class IV hitch

Thanks for the info. Where do you see that I have option code 53B? All I see is equipment package 101a on the sticker.

In its infinite wisdom (insert sarcasm here), Ford does not name things easily to keep track of it. From a fleet order guide, found here:

https://www.jocogov.org/sites/default/fi...der%20Guide.pdf

Trailer towing Package 53B can be found on Page 3 under the free standing packages. It shows up on the window sticker as Class IV trailer hitch, which your window sticker has That's it.

So, that means you do have a 7600 lb trailer weight limit with GCWR of 12,500.

I was incorrect earlier since ford doesn't consistently label things in the various guides and that's on me.

So you can tow up to 7600 lbs. Your payload would be 352 lbs for anything else in the truck (passengers, etc) to keep under the 12,500 lb GCWR (assuming 10% tounge weight). Basically anything over 6,950 lbs will become GCWR constrained - meaning you can't use all your payload. You need a weight distributing hitch for anything over 5,000 lbs, and must reduce your payload/GCWR accordingly for that weight.

Good luck - and watch the weights on any trailers - RV dealers are notorious for underestimating the weight of their trailers to make a sale.

Also, under the be careful note - just slapping a cooler on a truck doesn't make it just as capable as a truck properly equipped.

On the F150's, depending on the packages selected, you can get different axles with different rear brakes (even with the same engine), frames with different thicknesses and weight ratings (there are at least three thicknesses used on the F150), different receiver hitches (at least two of them), and that doesn't even get springs and sway bars...

Easy to call them all apples, but there are a lot of difference that matter in there...

Lots of good advice in this thread.

I'd second the Equalizer hitch recommendation if you go heavy - it's the hitch the dealer sold us and it tames the sway and whatnot really well.

One other thing - do you have the brake controller integrated into the dash? If not you will either need to go 3rd party or ask about getting the OEM unit added. Supposedly all the wiring is there you have to buy the controller switches and get the dealer to "activate" it.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think we reached a consensus of 7600lbs. I'll be under that for sure. 4700lb trailer at a max, and thats if I go with the largest trailer we are looking at. I'll be less than 6,000lb fully loaded including trailer gear and gear/bodies in the truck. Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back