towing FWD, MT car on front wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I have a few questions about towing of a FWD, MT car. My 04 saab 9-3 linear had to be towed to the dealership because of a faulty parking brake lever. Its a well-known problem, many have it, particularly in the cold weather, for whatever reason. The problem is that there isnt enough spacing between the gears, so the release function cannot be actuated, resulting in the lever ratcheting up and never dropping back down or releasing. it just actuates thigher and tighter up to the full height of the lever's possible travel. They made the modifications to the lever per their service campaign and TSBs, and now it works great, much more linear feel, similar to the typical small brake shoe design typically used (my parking brake actuates the rear calipers.

My issue is with towing. With the rear wheels locked really tight, the car wasnt going anywhere. For whatever reason, the tow guy couldnt winch it up. Im just as glad, as it would be a lot of non-rolling weight pulled by either the towing eyelet or the front suspension.

Instead, he picked it up by the rear wheels, and pulled it that way. The towing guy was very professional, and seemed to take every care. But there were a coupel things that did worry me:

-towed it with the front wheels on the ground (FWD car) and manual trans in neutral. I understand that this is relatively OK, but is there any chance for damage? He never went over ~45, and tried to stay on small roads to keep speeds down anyhow.

-towed it with the steering locked. Claimed that it was necessary so that he could lead the car's direction for making u-turns, and backing into places. This worried me, as I thought he steering lock is a relatively weak mechanism, and it worries me more because of the fact that the steering lock on my car is electronic.

Everything runs and moves fine, the car tracks straight, doesnt seem to have any issues. But it is a new car, and it worries me to have anything done to it besides maintenance... I want to avoid towing it, and it had to get towed, so I jsut want to be sure that nothing else might have happened as a result.

Thanks,

JMH

I would have no worries about the trans. With automatics, you have to worry about gears running dry because the pump's not spinning because the engine's not turning. On a manual you don't have those issues. It's not really the greatest thing for it, given that you are still turning the gears, but it's not going to really hurt anything.

I'm not sure about the steering lock, but if he damaged something, it would be showing up either right now or in the very near future. As long as it's OK, I wouldn't worry.

Do the front tires turn normally even if the steering wheel is locked.
dunno.gif
It would seem to me that the towed car wheels would still have to follow the track during curves also. I had a old volkswagen that my brother in law towed and tied up the steering wheel and it did not do very well. He told me that he would never do that with one of his cars. He was older and larger so I lost out on that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back